TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Curb Smashed my 19" Wheels

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by caps04, Aug 18, 2015.

1. caps04

caps04 Member

How it happened: I had set and forgotten steering in Sport (usually keep it standard) which means small deviations meant more turn. Anyway, while pulling out of my neighborhood, I reached and stretched out right to pick up a loose item from the passenger seat and next second I hear a loud thud on my left. Turns out I drifted left and hit the curb at probably 30mph. I probably subconsciously overcorrected left when shifting my weight right, not realizing Sport mode is a tinge more sensitive. My heart sank expecting the worst, pulled over and inspected the car. Luckily, the only damage was scrapes to the front and back wheels (and a little bit on the tires). The body was untouched. Phew!

Anyway, the damage is enough that I don't think it could be refinished - at least not for the price of minor curb rash type damage. I checked ebay and used and refinished 19" wheels are going in the $200-$300 range. Any suggestions on whether to get it from there or a reputable website for OEM wheels or does Tesla themselves sell replacements (I don't see it on the website)?

Tesla Model S | eBay

Thanks!

2. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

I did the same thing, but it actually damaged a control arm or something (can pull the records if you need me to) that I could feel when driving--a sort of loss of precision in steering, even a bit of wobble. You'll probably want to get that checked out too if you hit that hard.

3. caps04

caps04 Member

Thanks for the feedback. I did not feel anything different and have driven a 100 or so miles since then. The alignment seems fine too but I may get it checked out next time at the SC. What did you end up doing to the damaged wheels?

4. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

They were badly scuffed, but otherwise in good shape. I use them for my winter tires.

5. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

#5 HankLloydRight, Aug 18, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
    Curb Smashed my 19" Wheels

That's not how it works. "Sport Mode" makes the wheel stiffer and "Standard Mode" makes it more loose and easier to turn. Neither mode changes the steering ratio.

See: What steering mode do you use?

6. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

I heard from the curb and he has a different version of events. He says your 19" wheels smashed him. ;)

7. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

You can purchase a wheel from the Service Centre for $300.

8. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

This was my understanding as well, the setting only affects the level of power assist. Not the ratio.

9. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Correct. I wish they would implement "speed sensitive" steering. I prefer it a little stiffer on the highway, but can't be bothered going in and out of Settings all the time, so just leave it on Normal.

10. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

The service centres sell wheels and tires. I purchased a single OEM wheel/tire from tesla to use as a spare. Just went in and asked. Cost in Australian dollars (which will always be more than the USA), was, if i recall correctly, around $650 for the standard 19in wheel. it does of course not match my cyclones, but has the same tire on it so will perform identically if i ever have to use it.

11. Vgsllc1

Vgsllc1 Member

You should sell the 19" as it for $1000 and get a set of 21"
    21" turbines have more traction and sportier look. i have been driving on 19" and they love to spin before taking off.

12. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

There are lots of OEM 19" wheels for sale in the for sale area:

Tesla Parts for Sale

Also try craigslist.