Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current cost of battery pack replacement?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks acarney. This has put my mind at ease. I really appreciate all your thoughts and insight. I’ll show my wife what you wrote to her mind at ease too. Basically the batteries can last longer than the car’s structure in most cases.

thanks Knightshade. It’s reassuring to know some will still be running at 300k miles.

I saw a video on YouTube from a Tesla owner about battery replacement. I’ll link it here.
I miss quoted him. I think he quotes $28k but in Canadian funny money that’s a lot more.

Thanks acarney. This has put my mind at ease. I really appreciate all your thoughts and insight. I’ll show my wife what you wrote to her mind at ease too. Basically the batteries can last longer than the car’s structure in most cases.

thanks Knightshade. It’s reassuring to know some will still be running at 300k miles.

I saw a video on YouTube from a Tesla owner about battery replacement. I’ll link it here.
I miss quoted him. I think he quotes $28k but in Canadian funny money that’s a lot more.

it's also a completely different model, with a 25% larger battery pack, of different design, using different (older) cells than the Model 3.

Sorry to bring back a dead post.

I have been wondering the same thing. I’m waiting to get my model 3 and have come to the realization that after the 8 year warranty if I want to repair or replace something. Things will get quite expensive especially dealing with service at tesla service centers. Then I was wondering about battery replacement. Some people said it would be around $35k. That’s a lot and makes it feel like like there is a time limit on my car and that after a certain time I should trade it in to get something new.

Me personally. I keep cars until they are run into the ground. I think to get the value out of them you should use them until they are completely dead. Every time you buy a new car, half of the emissions are emitted to create the car the other half from driving.

So I do not want to have to buy a new Tesla before the warranty is up. I want to keep the car for as long as possible. Then the price of replacing the battery sounds a bit crazy to me.
Someone compared it to swapping out a new engine... a new engine on a regular commuter car like a Honda would be around $1000-$3000 So it’s a bit unrealistic to compare the two. I’m buying a Tesla to save on gas in the long run. To have to eventually swap the battery or buy a new Tesla doesn’t sound like saving on gas in the long run and now I’m second guessing myself if I made the right choice. It’s just a large amount of money. Want to make sure.

Yeah, as others have said, it's currently about $15k to replace the "75" kWh battery. That's a lot, and I wouldn't expect to *have* to do so after 8 years.

However, do keep in mind that loss of capacity is 100% normal and happens to every battery EV. Specifically, for Model 3, you should PLAN on about 10-15% capacity loss after a year or two. You MAY have less, but at least for 2018/2019 vehicles, it's quite normal for people to have this much loss, after about 20k miles. It's not TYPICAL, but it is not unusual at all - these are not outliers (if you search around you'll find tons of such reports from people with warm, balanced, perfectly healthy batteries). I'm lucky enough that I'm at 300 miles (which would be 305 miles for a 2020) (which is 73.5kWh, or about 95% of the 78-79kWh I started with) with 16k miles on the car, after 18 months. The degree of loss of capacity seems to have little to nothing to do with how the battery is treated.

They have tweaked the chemistry of the cells slightly over the last couple years (I think - I don't know that this has been confirmed), so it's possible the characteristics are better now. It's also possible that some of these higher capacity loss characteristics have been eliminated from their battery manufacturing now. They may have better manufacturing control and identification of cells that will lose capacity. (No idea!) So you MAY have better results.

But for any battery electric car, it's prudent to expect capacity loss in the first year or two (then it slows down a lot). And to avoid disappointment or annoyance, just count on 10-15%. Then if it happens, it'll be expected. Best case, you'll have less.

I'm certainly hoping that I'll be able to go over 150k miles & ten years before having to worry about a battery replacement, but I figure by then I'll be at 80% capacity or so (255 rated miles in my 2018/ 259 for a 2020)

Last edited:
If you look at aggregate capacity loss for Model 3 so far it looks like it should be well under 10% during the first 50k miles or so. Again it all comes down to how you treat the battery. I have about 6k miles on mine and about 8 months, my capacity loss is about 0.8% right now about 238 miles on a full charge compared to 240 when new. Now I’m easy on the battery, 75% is my daily charge, 100% maybe 5 times so far when I’ve been traveling, and maybe 6 supercharging sessions.

When I looked at all the data I expected about a 8 to 10% capacity loss somewhere between 50k and 100k miles and it seems when you hit that amount of loss it stabilizes there.

Obviously more is possible, but I would say that is outside the norm and again trends with much more aggressive supercharging (once or twice weekly, etc). It could also be artificial from the battery management system. It might be worth your time to charge to 90% or even 100% and drive it down to approximately 10% before recharging a few times and see if you regain a little lost range over time. If you do that for a couple weeks (maybe 5 to 10 cycles) and see no change, it’s probably real degradation and maybe you just had bad luck in the battery game...

I have about 6k miles on mine and about 8 months, my capacity loss is about 0.8% right now about 238 miles on a full charge compared to 240 when new. Now I’m easy on the battery, 75% is my daily charge, 100% maybe 5 times so far when I’ve been traveling, and maybe 6 supercharging sessions.

You have to be a little careful with this. The degree of capacity loss can't be determined directly by where you are at on a full charge in miles (you need to know the constant for your vehicle - I don't know whether you have a 2019 or 2020), because some Model 3s "hide" significant degradation initially (for example, my vehicle started with about 78kWh but didn't show any miles lost until it dropped below 76kWh).

Just something to keep in mind.

If you look at aggregate capacity loss for Model 3 so far it looks like it should be well under 10% during the first 50k miles or so.

Again, have to be a little careful, if these values are provided in terms of miles. It's better to get kWh readings from the vehicles and compare to new. (It can be a few percent different. )

It could also be artificial from the battery management system. It might be worth your time to charge to 90% or even 100% and drive it down to approximately 10% before recharging a few times and see if you regain a little lost range over time. If you do that for a couple weeks (maybe 5 to 10 cycles) and see no change, it’s probably real degradation and maybe you just had bad luck in the battery game...

In my case it's not artificial, nor is it the case for the people I know. I have 16k miles, have only done a little supercharging, leave my car plugged in, cycle it occasionally, it's not in a stressful environment, etc. There are relatively few examples of large amounts of range being regained that aren't due to temperature (I think perhaps 5-6 miles is the max I have seen - I'd expect larger recovery to be very rare).

I'm just saying it's good to count on 10% over the first couple years. It may be better with the newer vehicles, as I said - there's no way for me to know. But it's extremely common for people in mid to late 2018 with AWD Model 3 to be down 5-10% from new (that would be 286 to 302 miles, as compared to the original 78kWh). And it's not that uncommon to see 12% (280 miles). That's not bad luck; it's just sort of normal (it's the lower end of the distribution of what you would expect).

Just good to expect it - it doesn't really matter very much, and this initial degradation certainly slows way down (my friend at 280 miles has been at close to that level for about 8 months at this point - he lost that 30 miles (9.4kWh of capacity; 78kWh - 245Wh/rmi*280rmi = 9.4kWh) in the first year or so).

I should add that I went back and ran across Musk’s tweet about the battery life on the 3. He said that the cells should last 1,500 cycles on the current Model 3 hardware. [remember, a cycle is considered full to empty. If you only used 20% of the battery five times that would roughly equal one cycle)

That means “life” should be well over 300k on the SR+ model. (Again there will be capacity loss, but probably not below 70% of original capacity.)

What can 6,000 electric vehicles tell us about EV battery health? | Geotab

That’s some decent reading too. If you look back at the 2015 or 2016 Model S you’ll see that somewhere in 3 to 5 years they saw an average of probably 8 to 10% capacity loss. It’s hard to tell, but you can see the curve actually smoothing out around that point (which trends with the smaller data sets that say once it hits this level the capacity loss seems to slow down/stop until well over 100k or even 150k miles).

Model 3 appears to be on about the same curve. So I would say plan for about 10% capacity reduction over the life of the vehicle (life being 10 years and maybe 120k miles, so maybe a bit more loss over your “drive it into the ground” mentality, but I highly doubt it’ll be like going over a cliff). Also expect a gradual 5 to 8% loss over those first three or four years.

You obviously alway want to buy the most battery you can afford. Increased usage in the winter is a REAL thing and you need to plan for that. (Example, on heavily wet roads, standing water basically, in 35 degree temps [so heat on in the car] and at highway speeds in my SR+ with snow tires I saw probably 60% of rated range. I could do about 145 miles on a full charge. Without heavy rain and standing water on the road things were much better, probably 170 miles. At highway speeds, 70mph, on a nice 70 degree day with no wind I see probably 180 to 185 miles, maybe 190) But I wouldn’t be afraid that the battery is fragile or not designed for real world use. Charge at home when you can (spend the money in a 50 amp circuit instead of just hitting a supercharger every week) and try to charge to 80% or less when only driving daily in town and you’ll be golden.

Also factor in the residual value of the vehicle. Even at 100k miles with a “crap” battery at 80% capacity I probably could sell my SR+ for at LEAST $5k and maybe more like 8 to 10k. Now if gas is up near $3/gal (some day it’ll get there again) and I replaced a 30 mpg car and average 10k miles a year... I’m saving about $822/year. Say it takes 10 years to reach 100k miles and I trade/sell my car for $5k and add up my fuel savings. The value was $13k ($5k grade value & $8.2k in fuel savings), well that’s ~30% of the cost of a new SR+ right now. Maybe you’ll actually decide to treat yourself to a new car sooner with a Tesla... (make a separate bank account and look at what you spend on average for gas, then look at the difference in your electric bill, any difference transfer into new account and watch it grow as your new car savings.)

[I should note that electricity is very cheap where I live, eastern WA, at ~$0.08/kWh. I averaged over 6,000 miles about 240 Wh/mi (that’s winter driving, highway, city, etc). 10k miles at 240 Wh/mi is 2,400,000 Wh, or 2,400kWh to drive 10k miles in a year. That’s $0.08*2400 = $192/yr or $16 extra a month on the electric bill.]

• Informative
Reactions: willow_hiller
You have to be a little careful with this. The degree of capacity loss can't be determined directly by where you are at on a full charge in miles (you need to know the constant for your vehicle - I don't know whether you have a 2019 or 2020), because some Model 3s "hide" significant degradation initially (for example, my vehicle started with about 78kWh but didn't show any miles lost until it dropped below 76kWh).

Just something to keep in mind.

Again, have to be a little careful, if these values are provided in terms of miles. It's better to get kWh readings from the vehicles and compare to new. (It can be a few percent different. )

In my case it's not artificial, nor is it the case for the people I know. I have 16k miles, have only done a little supercharging, leave my car plugged in, cycle it occasionally, it's not in a stressful environment, etc. There are relatively few examples of large amounts of range being regained that aren't due to temperature (I think perhaps 5-6 miles is the max I have seen - I'd expect larger recovery to be very rare).

I'm just saying it's good to count on 10% over the first couple years. It may be better with the newer vehicles, as I said - there's no way for me to know. But it's extremely common for people in mid to late 2018 with AWD Model 3 to be down 5-10% from new (that would be 286 to 302 miles, as compared to the original 78kWh). And it's not that uncommon to see 12% (280 miles). That's not bad luck; it's just sort of normal (it's the lower end of the distribution of what you would expect).

Just good to expect it - it doesn't really matter very much, and this initial degradation certainly slows way down (my friend at 280 miles has been at close to that level for about 8 months at this point - he lost that 30 miles (9.4kWh of capacity; 78kWh - 245Wh/rmi*280rmi = 9.4kWh) in the first year or so).

I use Teslafi to track capacity loss. I’m not sure if it’s just pulling the “displayed range” from the car at a given percentage or actually looking at energy added to reach a certain percentage and then extrapolating that out to what 100% charge would be.

I have a 2019 SR+. It does appear 2018 Model 3’s have a little more capacity loss compared to 2019s. 10% is probably a valid number, but I would realistically expect it more by year 3 to 5 in the cars being sold now, not the first year or so. Again, it does seem to level off around there though.

• Informative

Just to comment on this, that actually was USD he was talking about. He also wasn’t showing an actual invoice on a battery replacement, he was using Musk’s tweet about replacing a module in the battery and then multiplying that by four (the number that’s in the 75kWh Model 3 LR). First, we don’t know if that Musk quote also include labor. If it did, one would assume you wouldn’t be charged the same labor four times over since a large majority of that labor is in removing and reinstalling the pack in the car. Second, we don’t know if there is actually cost savings with a full factory new battery instead of cracking it open and pulling a module, but probably so. I think the $15 to $20k is a much more accurate “guess” right now. There is someone right now on these boards that is having a Model 3 battery replaced under warranty. Maybe you can find it here and ask him to ask his service center to quote him (maybe even generate an invoice!) what it would be without the warranty. That would be a real data point front Tesla service on the cost.

• Informative
Just to comment on this, that actually was USD he was talking about. He also wasn’t showing an actual invoice on a battery replacement, he was using Musk’s tweet about replacing a module in the battery and then multiplying that by four (the number that’s in the 75kWh Model 3 LR). First, we don’t know if that Musk quote also include labor. If it did, one would assume you wouldn’t be charged the same labor four times over since a large majority of that labor is in removing and reinstalling the pack in the car. Second, we don’t know if there is actually cost savings with a full factory new battery instead of cracking it open and pulling a module, but probably so. I think the $15 to $20k is a much more accurate “guess” right now. There is someone right now on these boards that is having a Model 3 battery replaced under warranty. Maybe you can find it here and ask him to ask his service center to quote him (maybe even generate an invoice!) what it would be without the warranty. That would be a real data point front Tesla service on the cost.

A couple things on that:
  1. The musk quote was for replacing all 4 modules for $5-7k. (Keeping the same pack housing and electronics.)
  2. The last I saw someone reported that a LR Model 3 pack had dropped to ~$12,500 + ~4 hours of labor. (It was an insurance job.)

A couple things on that:
  1. The musk quote was for replacing all 4 modules for $5-7k. (Keeping the same pack housing and electronics.)
  2. The last I saw someone reported that a LR Model 3 pack had dropped to ~$12,500 + ~4 hours of labor. (It was an insurance job.)

I would be shocked if it was that cheap! But maybe he was suggesting in a few years the module price would drop to that much. The $12.5k for parts plus labor sounds more in line with what I would expect. Though I would have guessed ~8 hours labor. Still even at $200/hr that would increase the total price less than $1000 so $13k or $14k out the door still wouldn’t be bad (especially considering it would be 8 years down the road before warranty wouldn’t cover it).

Reactions: Hank42
Musk's low price was an estimated battery replacement price in 5 years when the first higher mileage model 3s would start to need pack replacement. As noted above the price has dropped from 15k to 12.5k already, Tesla wants a much lower battery price since it means that the new car price will also be a lot lower.

Reactions: MP3Mike
I should add that I went back and ran across Musk’s tweet about the battery life on the 3. He said that the cells should last 1,500 cycles on the current Model 3 hardware. [remember, a cycle is considered full to empty. If you only used 20% of the battery five times that would roughly equal one cycle)

That means “life” should be well over 300k on the SR+ model. (Again there will be capacity loss, but probably not below 70% of original capacity.)

]

If you almost always charged after only using 20% of the battery capacity, I think you would get more life out of the battery. From what I have read, charging five times after using only 20% of the batteries capacity would be equivalent to less than one full cycle; likewise, the battery would last longer if that 20% usage was in the 60% to 40% range as apposed to 10% to 30% or 80% to 90%. The 1500 charge cycles is probably for a average driver that sometimes charges from 10% to 90% but mostly charges after using only 20% to 30%. If your normal charging regiment was from 15% to 90% SOC, you would probably not get the 1500 cycles.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rocky_H
Was backing up a comment from 2019 where they were seeing model s cars with 5-8% battery loss over 100k plus miles. And Model 3 are supposed to be better so all good

No one has said "model 3s are supposed to be better" that I am aware of, and all evidence points to the contrary, actually. This 129 page battery thread that is stickied here would beg to differ:

In any case, please direct any further battery discussion to that thread, if you want to talk about battery degradation, or see peoples impressions of model 3s and that topic.

Reactions: Jejunjm and Rocky_H