Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current Delivery Times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can tell you, without hesitation do not attempt to drive in winter conditions with the Performance summer only tires. Assuming that's what you mean. Even in cold weather (as in no snow) performance summer tires will lose traction and grip.

I know this from experience.

Very very bad experience.
Did you just replace the tires or the rims too so they front and back were even?

Reactions: JaeTheDev
I can tell you, without hesitation do not attempt to drive in winter conditions with the Performance summer only tires. Assuming that's what you mean. Even in cold weather (as in no snow) performance summer tires will lose traction and grip.

I know this from experience.

Very very bad experience.
What do you change the tires/rims too and when?

Last edited:
Actually sounds like a good compromise. What 20s do you have?

I went with some INOVIT YSM-919 TURBINE Gunmetal with Machined Face. Something about directional / turbine wheels and Tesla work well for me. Cost with sensors, tires, lugs, etc was about $2500 so it wasn’t horrible.

Here are some pics below. I feel with the MSM on white, it’ll look decent. I’ll post pics when they are mounted as well.

758DAEA4-A61C-47DF-9DA2-260BDA59F94D.jpeg

04E6694C-38F9-429C-A0A3-4FD8F218A705.jpeg

A141AE24-6A19-46FB-B327-49FA1EBDBA5E.jpeg

I've finally made it past the 50 day mark - feeling like I'm probably about half way there. Although I'm not loving the wait, I am pretty psyched about why there's a wait: Tesla is receiving more orders than they can handle, selling as many cars as they can make, building new factories around the world, creating lots of new tech, and forcing legacy automakers to join the EV revolution or die. If you start feeling frustrated, just remember that you're a part of something big, a new way of getting around. A little over 100 years ago, some guy was trying to get a good trade in on his horse and buggy, waiting with bated breath for his Model T order to come in. It's been a long time since there's been this big of a paradigm shift in transportation - and we all get to be a part of it. Now where's my damn VIN.......😉

I live in Baltimore and visit to IL and CO. All can get bad winters. I plan on driving in them with the current tires at least once and then determining what the need will be for changing out tires. I've also looked at different tires and rims. Others have talked about selling their tires/rims and I'm curious what they're able to sell them for. If I could find a good year-round tire on a nice looking rim I would probably choose that over switching out per season especially considering how iffy weather can be during the winter (and might not need it).
Driving from Baltimore to IL to CO, and everywhere in between, during winter inclement weather on 21" summer slicks?

I would think twice before embarking on those journeys.

I agree, but in a few years Electrify America might catch up in terms of number of stations, and they've already leapfrogged the v3 in terms of peak kw (350 vs. 250).
Well, we are trying to predict the future here, so anything could happen. Yes, EA stations are getting built at a faster rate than superchargers today. Good likelihood it'll surpass superchargers in number of stations at some point. But the wild card is when/if superchargers get opened to full public. That'll be a huge injection of cash and demand for the Tesla supercharger program, and I can see a scenario where they go into a massive growth spurt.

And v3 superchargers are sw limited to 250kw, I believe. They can go higher once Tesla cars can accept higher. And peak kw is not necessarily the end-all-be-all. Taycan charging at 300 kw is marginally faster charging than a Model 3 P charging at 150 kw because of efficiency.

Reactions: BitJam
It's getting phased out - but I understand it as new construction with permits by the end of this year will still qualify for the full 10 years. I'll take my unicorn house instead. (Built in 1986 by the owner while the vast vast majority in Philly are 1960s or earlier, or post 2000-junk.
Oh well I guess we missed the boat. I definitely agree with phasing it out as a better option to support other residents of the city and not gifting yet another revenue stream to investors (which seem to be the majority of the benefactors), but as a selfish potential investor it would've been nice

I went with some INOVIT YSM-919 TURBINE Gunmetal with Machined Face. Something about directional / turbine wheels and Tesla work well for me. Cost with sensors, tires, lugs, etc was about $2500 so it wasn’t horrible.

Here are some pics below. I feel with the MSM on white, it’ll look decent. I’ll post pics when they are mounted as well.

View attachment 704248
View attachment 704249
View attachment 704250
Looks great. The options are tempting me to change to P…

• Love
Reactions: JaeTheDev
500 mile EV would be pretty neat! You bring up charging, which is super important and leads me to the following thoughts:

Overall road trip time is a function of range, efficiency, and charging speed. With those three variables you can calculate the amount of time it’ll take to cover any trip. And to shorten that overall time, there ought be to commensurate improvement in efficiency and charging speed. Improve all three variables generates greatest overall time improvements. I think as an industry the focus is range, because to the uninformed buyer range is what comes to mind first. Usually charging speed and efficiency are listed in the fine print, if at all.
So with this calculation I think we can set KPIs on behalf of Elon and send them over to him: >500 mile range (which also includes a metric of 25% reduction in weight for efficiency gains to help realize this goal) and 50% reduction in charging time.

Unless I don't understand what you meant by efficiency, and then we'd need another

• Love
Reactions: PatrickTM
First, a correction to my earlier post. My best EDD was 9/2-22.

Once you have a Tesla you will only need it to calculate and plan a long road trip. It will do all the planning for you based on your driving style (read speed, ac usage, etc.) and will provide the time (when and for how long) and location of your next charge.

However, if you want to play around with it before you get your Tesla I would suggest the A Better Route Planner (ABRP) app. It allows you to choose the Tesla you own and to fine tune your driving and the enviornmental conditions for your proposed road trip.

As PatrickTM points out, currently the focus is on range because that's what the uninitiated hone in on. With most EV's suitable for a road trip you will be ready for a stop about the time the car needs a charge if not sooner. If your average speed is 50MPH (hard to do long term) you're talking about 5 hours for 250 mile range. Either my bladder or my back or both will be screaming at me by that time!

Which gets us to the point of why you are buying a Tesla...because of the Supercharger network. What every EV buyer should be focusing on is how quickly can you charge back up. That brings you right back to the V3 Supercharger's that Tesla has. Honestly, if you are planning to use your EV for long road trips or charging away from your home then Tesla is the only one you should be looking at. Maybe someday the other charging networks and EV makers will catch up, but I truly believe that will only happen when they can tap into the Tesla Supercharger network.

Tom
I don't disagree personally for now, but I think there are more situations than this. Tesla owners appear to get very defensive in this type of conversation. Trust me, I am sold on the Y in it's current state. But are you and everyone else here OK with that long term? Why wouldn't you want it to get better? I likely would also need to take a break, BUT for another relevant example: my FIL recently drove from NJ to Florida and back in an ICE. He stopped twice each way, each time only to get gas and get right back in the car and go. If he didn't need gas, he wouldn't have stopped. I know this is a more rare scenario, but to design for the masses it should be included in future iterations of the design. By the logic Tesla owners use, ICE vehicles shouldn't have 500+ miles range today...but they do....and people like it.

I got the same today, and am convinced that the night of tornados we've had touch down here that my EDD is going to get extended because my car will be the one tossed off the car carrier.

Oh, and by "here" I mean just outside of Philadelphia and 50 miles south of NYC. Yes, tornadoes. Here. Insane.
Hope you guys are OK. My BIL is in Mullica Hill and in their small 20-house neighborhood there is a house that is leveled - FULLY leveled.....from a tornado......in NJ. That's besides all the houses with their roofs torn off and full sides missing where you can see mattresses hanging out from bedrooms and cars that were thrown around the street. They were super lucky everything was cosmetic or fences/trees, but this is crazy. Where we live (also in NJ) this is our 4th tornado watch over the past 1.5 months. They follow the same path each time like an alley from around the border right cross from Philly up northeasterly and so far luckily have passed us but are within a mile range

I don't disagree personally for now, but I think there are more situations than this. Tesla owners appear to get very defensive in this type of conversation. Trust me, I am sold on the Y in it's current state. But are you and everyone else here OK with that long term? Why wouldn't you want it to get better? I likely would also need to take a break, BUT for another relevant example: my FIL recently drove from NJ to Florida and back in an ICE. He stopped twice each way, each time only to get gas and get right back in the car and go. If he didn't need gas, he wouldn't have stopped. I know this is a more rare scenario, but to design for the masses it should be included in future iterations of the design. By the logic Tesla owners use, ICE vehicles shouldn't have 500+ miles range today...but they do....and people like it.
I think the big difference with this logic though is the weight and cost of the batteries as it stands now and in the foreseeable future.

If you are always hauling around a huge battery pack and only need it for road trips a couple times a year, the rest of the time you are wasting efficiency and energy by hauling around all that extra weight. That and all those extra batteries to give you that range cost a lot more making the car that much more expensive.

The best way to solve this issue in the near term is to increase efficiency and improve charging curves to make "filling up" as fast as possible, not just add more batteries and more range.

That said, long term we should see improvements in battery density that will ultimately mean more range out of the same or less batteries which helps give more range for hopefully less cost up front.

We are all definitely still early adopters in the EV world and I love it! It will definitely improve over time, and I think we will likely see more affordable lower range cars in the future since many people don't need cars with 500 miles of range for regular driving. But I think to increase adoption of EVs as a whole, people that aren't familiar with them or are nervous about range will be sold much easier on EVs if they can get a car with huge range to ease their anxiety about running out of juice. But then they will realize soon after that they could have easily gotten by with 300 miles of range :)