Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current Delivery Times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can tell you, without hesitation do not attempt to drive in winter conditions with the Performance summer only tires. Assuming that's what you mean. Even in cold weather (as in no snow) performance summer tires will lose traction and grip.

I know this from experience.

Very very bad experience.
Yea, I did that once, and only 10 feet before spinning in the snow like a complete fool. Mine had hydrogen vs air and the cold turned the rubber into ice pretty much. Very dangerous!

Reactions: PatrickTM
I can tell you, without hesitation do not attempt to drive in winter conditions with the Performance summer only tires. Assuming that's what you mean. Even in cold weather (as in no snow) performance summer tires will lose traction and grip.

I know this from experience.

Very very bad experience.
I remember attempting to drive to work on summer performance tires in the middle of winter, hitting a slick spot and getting to practice my "Finnish Flick" in my neighborhood one time - luckily it was in super slow motion, but I noped out and headed back to the house and grabbed another vehicle with all seasons and front wheel drive.

First, a correction to my earlier post. My best EDD was 9/2-22.

Once you have a Tesla you will only need it to calculate and plan a long road trip. It will do all the planning for you based on your driving style (read speed, ac usage, etc.) and will provide the time (when and for how long) and location of your next charge.

However, if you want to play around with it before you get your Tesla I would suggest the A Better Route Planner (ABRP) app. It allows you to choose the Tesla you own and to fine tune your driving and the enviornmental conditions for your proposed road trip.

As PatrickTM points out, currently the focus is on range because that's what the uninitiated hone in on. With most EV's suitable for a road trip you will be ready for a stop about the time the car needs a charge if not sooner. If your average speed is 50MPH (hard to do long term) you're talking about 5 hours for 250 mile range. Either my bladder or my back or both will be screaming at me by that time!

Which gets us to the point of why you are buying a Tesla...because of the Supercharger network. What every EV buyer should be focusing on is how quickly can you charge back up. That brings you right back to the V3 Supercharger's that Tesla has. Honestly, if you are planning to use your EV for long road trips or charging away from your home then Tesla is the only one you should be looking at. Maybe someday the other charging networks and EV makers will catch up, but I truly believe that will only happen when they can tap into the Tesla Supercharger network.

Tom
It is all about the charging curve, not just the peak rate. Total range becomes so much less important when there are more chargers and when cars can charge faster. At V3 superchargers it doesn’t hold that near 250 kw speed for very long…and you have to be at a lower SOC. The more full the battery, the slower it charges. I’ve been on road trips in my M3 and the key to the fastest travel is pulling in at the lowest state of charge you can, and charge up just enough to get to the next charger with a small buffer. Unplug and head to the next one.

For me, as a self-proclaimed nerd, I love road-tripping in an electric car. Even though the Tesla does most of the planning for you, there is still more planning involved and watching your efficiency and deciding when to unplug and how the weather and wind impacts your efficiency and range…I love it. My wife, not at all. But thankfully if you aren’t into the nerdy stuff, the car will just plan it all for you and tell you everything you need to know!

7 seaters get no love from Tesla. They seem to build them in batches. And if you are not in the batch, you're out another month till the next batch.
Hmmm, maybe this is why I have, at least right now, a pretty fast EDD, because they are building a batch before EOQ and not a lot of 7 seater orders in the Bay Area?

Haha and this is part of the reason why when my wife and I have talked about another investment property, Philly is high on the list. I haven't checked recently, but back when I was there they were offering 10 year tax abatements on new properties!

What you are saying is true though. I wonder what they do with it all, it must only cost so much to keep the beaches clean right?
Not too long ago you could get a typical Baltimore row house for almost literally zero.

Once I got my vin, i sent and email to them and they responded that the financing needed to renewed and asked for permission to initiate the process being they already had all the info that was needed. A couple mins later was a new financing agreement in my account waiting for me to accept.
It might have been another hard pull but for me no big deal.
Good to know, thanks! Will be on the lookout. Hopefully VIN soon!

I agree, but in a few years Electrify America might catch up in terms of number of stations, and they've already leapfrogged the v3 in terms of peak kw (350 vs. 250).
Only if they get a big chunk of the "infrastructure" funding from the Feds.
Charger business model is....difficult.
Most people charge at home. Most people only take limited number of road trips a year.
Most people don't want to pay 3X for electricity - but will..... yet only when they HAVE to.

Reactions: THF2021MY
This is off topic, but any of you on this thread have the Tesla roof and/or power walls? We are putting the roof and two powerwalls on our log cabin, and I’m just curious of anyones experience.
You might try asking in Model Y: Battery & Charging. This group is for people lamenting their estimated delivery dates and we all share in their pain.

See also:

Tesla Energy

Reactions: PatrickTM
I filled out my info 2 times before stopping. I want a black or white instead of the msm and I wanted the white interior.
Perf in inventory
What zip code is this? I checked on my zip code and I can't see it.

Only if they get a big chunk of the "infrastructure" funding from the Feds.
Charger business model is....difficult.
Most people charge at home. Most people only take limited number of road trips a year.
Most people don't want to pay 3X for electricity - but will..... yet only when they HAVE to.
Electrify America is a subsidiary of VAG, which includes Porsche, Audi and VW. They're betting big on EV's, even if they lose money building out the infrastructure they benefit from having it in place. I'm sure they'd welcome any federal dollars - and current admin seems keen on green energy incentives, but I bet they'll build it out either way.