Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current Delivery Times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My estimated date finally re appeared after disappearing completely last Friday. Pretty much same as everyone else 06/12-30. Really hoping to get it in June since the EV rebate in NY is changing July 1st.

Does anyone know if that rebate will be based on order date or delivery date? When I asked my delivery rep she mentioned it would be based on order date but not sure if I should trust that.
I wouldn't trust that. Order date really means nothing except putting you into a queue. The government only cares about when you buy the car, which is when you pay the remainder and accept delivery.

Unless you have a local rebate which has stipulation that when you place an order a rebate will be counted. As far as Federal and Pennsylvania, it is definitely when you purchase the car not order.

@bigdaddyreg The reason is they don’t have a fix for the firmware issue. Each day that goes by, my delivery estimate backs up a day automatically. Whatever the issue is, it is significant as they don’t want people driving it and they don’t have an easy fix. They probably don’t want to say anything because they literally have no timeline. Their goal is a fix by quarter end so they can deliver cars. But they may not be able to fix it in time.

Just want to throw some conspiracy fuel on the fire. My brother in law took delivery of a MY on 4/28 with a VIN in the 179xxx range. He pinged me this morning to say he just received an update for his MY. Is this the new firmware update we’re all waiting for???
Firmware updates are not OTA. If it was OTA, then it was just a software update. Also quite common for new deliveries to get updated software within 2-3 weeks after delivery. Sounds like this may have been the case.

I wouldn't trust that. Order date really means nothing except putting you into a queue. The government only cares about when you buy the car, which is when you pay the remainder and accept delivery.

Unless you have a local rebate which has stipulation that when you place an order a rebate will be counted. As far as Federal and Pennsylvania, it is definitely when you purchase the car not order.
Yeah. I was thinking that as well.

Ordered 4/28. White/Black/FSD/NoTow/19"

Estimate started with June 4-24 and is now June 9-29. Picking up in Burbank, CA.

@elguapo yeah I'm also inclined to think that the firmware is also not released yet from reading up on homologation, I assume that Tesla wouldn't be able to OTA new firmware on the fly to a small subset of customers to test their experimental code like a typical "move fast and break things" development shop.

Reactions: elguapo
Firmware updates are not OTA. If it was OTA, then it was just a software update. Also quite common for new deliveries to get updated software within 2-3 weeks after delivery. Sounds like this may have been the case.
I actually think firmware update is possible OTA. The issue is this is a governance and life/safety issue so the cars cannot be driven until the update. The service centers aren’t going to go plug a cable into 50 Ys separately. That’s a guess based on my years of ownership.

Last edited:
I actually think firmware update is possible OTA. The issue is this is a governance and life/safety issue so the cars cannot be driven until tits update. The service centers aren’t going to go plug a cable into 50 Ys separately. That’s a guess based on my years of ownership.
whats a "tits update"? sounds fun.

:D

Just want to throw some conspiracy fuel on the fire. My brother in law took delivery of a MY on 4/28 with a VIN in the 179xxx range. He pinged me this morning to say he just received an update for his MY. Is this the new firmware update we’re all waiting for???
Thought I might share some geek speak to help some understand what is being discussed. 🥸

Hardware = The car's physical components (switches, knobs, latches, pedals, batteries, micro processors, CHIPS,...)
Firmware = Programs that are the interfacing instructions in the memory of the physical Hardware Chips. If a firmware update fails, it will sometimes be said it "bricked" the device because the device is a useful as a brick now.
Software = Programs that interacts with inputs from drivers, passengers, sensors, and interfaces that make logic based decisions or actions.

Assuming that our delay is indeed related to a "firmware" update, that means that the chips don't correctly/fully know how to interface with the car's hardware. I pushed on the brake peddle, the software told the chip to send the appropriate signal to the electric brake pressure pump, but nothing happened. VERY BAD!

Firmware updates happen infrequently, software is often updated on a normal release cycle. Firmware for our cars MAY require physically connecting a computer to the car to update.

Last edited:
That's interesting because I have been past a Tesla store this week with 10-20 MYs sitting out front.
Mine has been at the delivery center since at least Saturday. Spoke w/Tesla last week and they relayed delivery center expected to have my VIN to me by this past Friday or Saturday and I should be prepared for delivery this past weekend. Latest update from delivery center was they expected to have an update for me later this week.

My estimated date finally re appeared after disappearing completely last Friday. Pretty much same as everyone else 06/12-30. Really hoping to get it in June since the EV rebate in NY is changing July 1st.

Does anyone know if that rebate will be based on order date or delivery date? When I asked my delivery rep she mentioned it would be based on order date but not sure if I should trust that.
Please correct me if I’m wrong, but I think (and hope!) that the New York rebate is based on the base price. Since the base price on the contract is <40K I don’t think the end of June deadline will affect Model Y qualifying.