Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current Delivery Times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So perhaps this is partly a cause for the delay; May deliveries forward NOT having radar anymore and will only use Tesla Vision for even the most basic safety features? This really has me thinking we may wait to order as I recall with AP2 rolled out and it took a good year+ to even duplicate basic Autopilot, wiper functionality with just vision... IMO this could be actually dangerous depending on how it performs and would be a risk to take delivery May+ now until known.

Reactions: BrianD and dsandhu
Anyone know what car rental company allows one way rentals? I checked with Enterprise and they don’t allow it.
I've done one way rentals many times through all the major rental car companies. The key is to check each location around you one at a time. Their websites don't make this easy since you need to try each location one at a time. Usually airport locations will have the most flexibility on one way rentals. Try entering an airport as the pickup location and a different airport as the dropoff location.

Reactions: MYMY21
I'm confident that those who got a VIN are the ones where their SCs are packed with Ys. My SC has nothing so I think I'll only get a VIN when a car leaves the factory.
Got some news! SA said there is a lot off-site they are keeping them in because it doesn't fit in the lot at our SC. My husband was driving on i95 today and saw a 2 big trucks full of Model Ys.. I think they are definitely coming!! Crossing our fingers!

So perhaps this is partly a cause for the delay; May deliveries forward NOT having radar anymore and will only use Tesla Vision for even the most basic safety features? This really has me thinking we may wait to order as I recall with AP2 rolled out and it took a good year+ to even duplicate basic Autopilot, wiper functionality with just vision... IMO this could be actually dangerous depending on how it performs and would be a risk to take delivery May+ now until known.

I've done one way rentals many times through all the major rental car companies. The key is to check each location around you one at a time. Their websites don't make this easy since you need to try each location one at a time. Usually airport locations will have the most flexibility on one way rentals. Try entering an airport as the pickup location and a different airport as the dropoff location.
We did it with Avis from Chicago to TX last year. It just cost a decent amount more.

I still enjoy driving the car without Autopilot. As long as the car still works then I’m fine waiting for them to sort out Vision.

Reactions: danintoronto
Haven't received VIN yet but had a question... say I get a VIN and complete my financing and insurance and everything is ready, then I go to pick up my car and there are big issues that cause me to reject that car... what happens then? Will I have to re-do everything and get put at the back of the line? This is my first Tesla so I have no idea what to expect and what to do if that happens...

In case others are not aware, a tax credit only helps you if you OWE money. It is not the same as a tax rebate where you get the value regardless. We were able to take advantage of the EV tax credit in 2019 but we knew we would owe money come tax time and the tax credit would offset it. If you don’t owe money and are due a refund then you get zero tax credit benefit.
I'm not sure if that is right.

If you get a refund, that usually means that you overpaid via W-2 tax witholdings or estimated tax payments (ETP). The actual amount you owe in taxes is different than the witholding or ETP. How much you owe is offset by the tax credit. My assumption was that if you for instance witheld $10K over the year and actually owed $9K, you would be due a $1K refund. At that point if you apply the $7K tax credit against the $9K, you would actually owe only $2K (9K-7K) and since you witheld $10K already, you would then be due a $8K refund because you "overpaid" taxes (through witholdings).

Now if you had less than $7K owed, it is prob a diff story.

Anyone know what car rental company allows one way rentals? I checked with Enterprise and they don’t allow it.
Car rental companies are struggling to even get cars right now. They dumped their inventories when Covid tanked travel. Now travel is picking up and there's a chip shortage where they can't get new cars. They are probably not allowing it because they don't have the inventory available to allow one-way rentals and need to keep all their inventory local.