Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current Delivery Times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well today in Northern Cali, my buddy caught these pics.

Attachments

• IMG_20210521_224829.jpg
    IMG_20210521_224829.jpg
    403 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_20210521_224838.jpg
    IMG_20210521_224838.jpg
    345.8 KB · Views: 63
I agree that FSD isn’t worth the cost. The FSD hardware took a lot of time and money to develop, and is built into every new car, so Tesla definitely wants return on that investment, and to maintain the superior tech image. But, like you said, why price it so high that it reduces the take rate? Tesla leadership isn’t stupid though, they’re smart strategists with always something up their sleeve, just like when they announced Plaid in response to the Porsche Taycan or just enough range bump to claim bragging rights over the Lucid Air. By pricing FSD so high, it sort of makes a subscription option all the more palatable.

I didn’t really use all the extra FSD features either. Summon was cool for demonstration purposes and I can easily live without auto lane changes or Navigate on Autopilot. I will say though that NoA was very impressive during one scenario. I had the car on NoA and it was exiting the freeway. The off ramp has a blind curve and there was unexpected construction cones. The Model S detected the scene faster than I could react and automatically slowed the car down without drama (although my pulse spiked)! That level of safety and monitoring is what can sell FSD to more people. Tesla should market that aspect more and give buyers a 1-month trial so they can experience what they’ll miss without FSD. Right now basic AP is good enough, but how do you expect people to upgrade to FSD without showing them what it’s like?

The only feature of FSD that I want is the automatic lane changes and possibly navigate on autopilot. Everything else is mostly just gimmicky right now in my opinion.

Honestly I don't see how they can charge $10000 for FSD when other companies are starting to offer packages with similar functionality for much less money. For example you can add most of the functionality of FSD including auto lane changes to the Mercedes GLA for $4745.

I could probably justify paying $10000 if FSD was truly self driving as in if I could truly just input my destination and it will take me there without any input from me THAT is easily worth $10000 but as it currently stands I can't see it being worth more than maybe $5000.

Regardless it's only a matter of time until competition forces them to drop their prices. I remember a few years ago when Tesla used to charge extra for basic autopilot but now many companies include autopilot features for cheap or free like Toyota's Safety Sense. Even though safety sense doesn't work as well as Autopilot it's pretty good and it's hard for any other company to justify charging money for something you get for free on a Corolla.

Toyota already announced that later this year they will have a FSD competitor on the LS for next year's model and based on what they did with safety sense it's a good bet that in the next few years it will be standard across their whole lineup for free. At that point it will be impossible to justify charing $10000.

Reactions: SeriousBadger
The only feature of FSD that I want is the automatic lane changes and possibly navigate on autopilot. Everything else is mostly just gimmicky right now in my opinion.

Honestly I don't see how they can charge $10000 for FSD when other companies are starting to offer packages with similar functionality for much less money. For example you can add most of the functionality of FSD including auto lane changes to the Mercedes GLA for $4745.

I could probably justify paying $10000 if FSD was truly self driving as in if I could truly just input my destination and it will take me there without any input from me THAT is easily worth $10000 but as it currently stands I can't see it being worth more than maybe $5000.

Regardless it's only a matter of time until competition forces them to drop their prices. I remember a few years ago when Tesla used to charge extra for basic autopilot but now many companies include autopilot features for cheap or free like Toyota's Safety Sense. Even though safety sense doesn't work as well as Autopilot it's pretty good and it's hard for any other company to justify charging money for something you get for free on a Corolla.

Toyota already announced that later this year they will have a FSD competitor on the LS for next year's model and based on what they did with safety sense it's a good bet that in the next few years it will be standard across their whole lineup for free. At that point it will be impossible to justify charing $10000.
EE22DAE7-C13F-4893-AC8A-F75A927BB528.png

The only problem it’s not really auto lane change like FSD. MERCEDES system you have to manually turn on the turn signal and it has to be on a highway above 49MPH. FSD while on NOA will do everything on its own it will get on the faster lane and overtake slower cars. Also one FSD in city streets is release you will only need to input the destination and will take you from your home directly to your destination without you doing anything else. Look up YouTube videos of it. It’s almost here.

Reactions: dsandhu
I am sure we can all find justification for every decision we make in life. I won’t begrudge anyone (and not that you are either, @JETsDad) for paying for AB. I’ve considered buying it but figure I can also take my family on a 1-week vacation to Cancun for $2K.

AB brings me closer to the 4.0-sec time of our Model S (and sometimes I wish the S was even faster), but I think 4.8 sec will be just fine from the Y. I have different expectations for the Y.
One of those makes you smile once a day, probably at Sunset. The other one makes you smile every time you dust someone.

Reactions: Soosh and FoxVega
I'd really be surprised if a lot of action happened this weekend. I could be wrong (and I want to be wrong), but it seems like with most companies things slow down over the weekend.
We will see if anyone gets a VIN today or tomorrow. My site is back up and working perfect, so there's that.