Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current Delivery Times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
your doing a loan to own the car?

Not all of us are wealthy enough to pay cash...

Finance is the way to go. The rates are super low right now, anywhere between 1.24-2.49%. Even with sufficient funds to pay cash, why do that? Liquidity can be diverted to other assets or investments that will outperform the loan rate. Take the cash and put it in Tesla, Ford, or ChargePoint stock instead.

Disclaimer: I am not a financial advisor and just posting my opinion like everyone else. I believe in the EV movement and feel Ford has made a commendable effort in EVs from a legacy automaker. Add to that, charging infrastructure will be a necessity and growing sector as EV adoption continues to increase.

Last edited:
Finance is the way to go. Take the cash and put it in Tesla, Ford, or ChargePoint stock instead...

Disclaimer: I am not a financial advisor and just posting my opinion like everyone else.
Sounds right about the financing. I am also not a financial advisor, but I think there is only one stock on your list that I would want to be holding. :cool:

RT

Finance is the way to go. The rates are super low right now, anywhere between 1.24-2.49%. Even with sufficient funds to pay cash, why do that? Liquidity can be diverted to other assets or investments that will outperform the loan rate. Take the cash and put it in Tesla, Ford, or ChargePoint stock instead.

Disclaimer: I am not a financial advisor and just posting my opinion like everyone else. I believe in the EV movement and feel Ford has made a commendable effort in EVs from a legacy automaker. Add to that, charging infrastructure will be a necessity and growing sector as EV adoption continues to increase.
My rule of thumb. Never finance a depreciating asset unless the loan is for free(0). Look at the yield on the S&P.

Reactions: morbidz
Struggle/delay is real folks
- updated delivery date for MY is now between Aug 27 - Sept 26. Ordered MY in May and the delivery dates have changed a lot.
- Oh well I'm hanging in there - I stopped checking daily my Tesla account.
- appreciate reading everyone's support and the struggles we're all experiencing. Heck there's light at the end of the tunnel!!
-

VR,
E

Gosh, this is so frustrating- it’s like they give you hope and then just squash it with a bug zapper! If most of you on the forum placed orders in May and are getting delivery dates in August - no way will I get mine before October-November. I guess I have to keep holding on to this gas guzzling benz of mine till then!

Reactions: Brad497
My rule of thumb. Never finance a depreciating asset unless the loan is for free(0). Look at the yield on the S&P.
This makes no sense to me. Whether you finance or pay cash upfront, the depreciation is going to happen. If however one were to invest the money in something instead of paying up front, even in something relatively low risk, it would have a very high probability of not only offsetting the interest rate but even netting a profit (a comfortable %7 annual rate these days). I am not a financial advisor. But just wanted to point out a logical fallacy.

Oh and been lurking for a good 1.5 months, so here is my contribution: another data point if any one cares.

MYLR black with black interior, 19", no FSD, no tow, 7 seater. Ordered May 21.
Current EDD July 29 - Aug 18
We totally care!
Just these dates are beyond me.
I ordered May 26 and have 07/28 - 08/17.
At this point these dates are soo irrelevant.
I just don’t get why I keep stressing it.

78728064-076C-4F92-B096-D61A4A1B0E9C.jpeg

Like if I didn’t know what he was gonna say. But I decided to give it a shot anyway.

I don't know how you all have survived. I have only been waiting a couple weeks and I am already out of YouTube videos to watch. I sold my truck and motorcycle right after I ordered because the prices that I got for both of them was just too good to pass up and I was not sure how long those prices would last.

I have always had a patience problem, but this is going to test mine to the max.

Reactions: iratre and dsandhu
My rule of thumb. Money is fungible. Paying cash is only the best option if the interest rate you earn on your savings/investments is lower than the after-tax cost of borrowing. Eliminating a car payment by depleting emergency cash savings is not everyone’s cup of tea.

And like @grimwizard said, depreciation cost is unaffected by method of financing, so that’s a red herring.

I don't know how you all have survived. I have only been waiting a couple weeks and I am already out of YouTube videos to watch.
The next step is to start buying accessories. Lots and lots of accessories. This is also a good time to get a home charger installed if you are planning to go that route. I'm having a 14-50 outlet installed in my driveway.

If you are unsure of which accessories to buy, I could provide you with a very long list of suggestions.