Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current Delivery Times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not sure how to tell the new headlights, but I ordered a MYLR and all of the graphics showing my car on website and in app all look different now.

Even the background doesn't blend anymore when I open the app. It used to be all black with the car on it.
The way to tell is this:

If you bought a MYP you have the new Global Adaptive LED headlights with projectors.

If you bought a LR or SR MY then you have the North American LED headlights that have been standard since day 1 on MY and M3 until all trims of M3 and MYP were switched to the Global lights at the beginning of 2021.

Don't trust the graphics on Tesla.com. Yes, they were updated to show the proper lights on LR vs P but for the last 3 months or so they showed the Global lights for all pictures, yet no LR Ys have been delivered with the Global lights.

My MYLR picture looks identical to the one you posted except the color. Same headlights so not sure what that pic means.
Then you ordered a MY P. Also note the red brake calipers, 21" Uberturbines and different tire markings. If you have silver calipers and black rims you have a LR and regular lights.

1625781052169.png

1625781074387.png

1625781123457.png
1625781106145.png

LR on Left, P on Right

Very similar. The front end of my EDD window keeps moving back one day but the back date has been steady. We'll see. Somebody had mentioned employees taking time off this week which wouldn't be too surprising after the big end of Q2 push. I actually don't mind if that is the case, but I'm hopefully we see some big progress next week.

As a side note, component shortages continue being a huge issue in my related industry. I wouldn't be surprised if we see sporadic delays all over the place for the next year. Qualifying and testing alternate parts, alternative suppliers, and keeping production moving is a huge challenge. A process which is generally predictable now has so many moving parts that it's difficult to guarantee anything. Not looking to excuse Tesla's poor communication and expectation setting that has been very apparent throughout this thread. Definitely a challenging time for predictable production, though.

Catching up on posts today, sorry if this was discussed already.

I agree with you re Supply Chain. Mainly Aerospace experience here, but sister divisions were Auto and Electrical. Our Auto sister divisions would be suffering terribly right now with takt / TPM repetitive style manufacture. Aerospace side would be ok for at least another 6 months or a year due to the lead time buffers built in, although electronics and exotic metallurgy supplies could be a big problem. Any repetitive / takt / single piece flow / demand style flow type manufacture with supply chains exposed to shortage right now will be suffering for a loooooong time.

On the filp side, Auto and Electrical would have an easier time qualifying new suppliers and parts, except in safety related items. If it goes on too much longer Aerospace will have a massive issue qual wise for SoFC (Safety of Flight Critical) things ...

Reactions: PatrickTM
I sent a candy bouquet to the electricians who installed my 14-50 charger yesterday:

candy-bouquet-3.jpg

It uses my existing 100A service. I can charge at the full 32A while running my AC and my microwave. They also put in two 5-20 outlets that work with normal 4-15 plugs but can also be used with special plugs to provide 20 amps.

In a normal world, people keeping their word, showing up on time, and doing their job would be nothing unusual. Now, for me at least, it's a cause for celebration!

For all of you still waiting, hang in there! It's worth it in the end.

I sent a candy bouquet to the electricians who installed my 14-50 charger yesterday:

View attachment 682800
It uses my existing 100A service. I can charge at the full 32A while running my AC and my microwave. They also put in two 5-20 outlets that work with normal 4-15 plugs but can also be used with special plugs to provide 20 amps.

In a normal world, people keeping their word, showing up on time, and doing their job would be nothing unusual. Now, for me at least, it's a cause for celebration!

For all of you still waiting, hang in there! It's worth it in the end.
So thoughtful and I NEVER knew you could order a CANDY BASKET! I will be remember that for the future... who wants fruit that rots away after a day... GIVE ME SUGAR! ROFL

Seriously though, so happy you got it done and "easily". hope you are loving the MY and getting lots of fun trips in! Can't wait to join you on the road sometime this year...

Just a comment for those ordering the MYLR and hoping for the new headlights….. Just hope for a car at this point. The old headlights are more that adequate and the headlights are nothing to be frustrated with.

The stories I hear, and those pining for something a car will likely not have for a long time is just a waste of frustrations. If you want them order the MYP. Price delta is less and less every month or so.

So thoughtful and I NEVER knew you could order a CANDY BASKET! I will be remember that for the future... who wants fruit that rots away after a day... GIVE ME SUGAR! ROFL

Seriously though, so happy you got it done and "easily". hope you are loving the MY and getting lots of fun trips in! Can't wait to join you on the road sometime this year...
Thanks man! As for the car, I'm reminded of what Orson Welles said after seeing the RKO back lot:

This is the biggest electric train set a boy ever had!

This is my first new car. It may be my first car that is less than 10 years old. It's a dream come true. I had accepted that I would never own a Tesla just like I accepted I was never going to get younger and I was never going to win a Nobel Prize. The world is filled with surprises.

Now if I can just log into YouTube from my Tesla, my life will be complete. :)

I've decided to order a MY and have been looking around and educating myself before I do. I have a couple of questions:

1. I've seen a few references to vehicles delivered with or without rear PPF and mud flaps. Are they standard now, or something you configure in down the road so that it's already done for you when you take delivery.

2. Any clues when MYs with the new battery and structural battery pack will be available? At this point I feel like if I place an order now it might literally be December or later, and by then those updated configurations might be becoming available. No clue if the updates will happen automatically or will be a different option or what. But if waiting a few months means the next gen Y I'd be inclined to do it.

3. Same thing with a potential reinstatement of the federal tax credit. A credit of potentially $10,000 seems worth waiting for, especially if you would end up with the next gen too.

I'm tempted to put an order in now just to get in the cue, then see what happens with these other things and push it back three months if it'll make a difference. Is anybody else thinking about these things?

And yes, I know if I wait for the latest Tesla I'll never stop waiting, and that makes sense to me if you're talking about matte trim or a USB stick in the glove box. But getting the next gen Model Y and/or a $10K rebate is orders of magnitude more significant and seem worth waiting for if we're only talking two or three months. Is anybody else waiting for these sorts of things, or is there any info out there when to expect the next gen to be available for order?

Reactions: BitJam
TL;DR: my guess is you will have to wait well over a year. Maybe more.
1. I've seen a few references to vehicles delivered with or without rear PPF and mud flaps. Are they standard now, or something you configure in down the road so that it's already done for you when you take delivery.
Some dealers (usually up north) do that for free. Most dealers don't. It's only $100. Don't worry about it.
2. Any clues when MYs with the new battery and structural battery pack will be available?
My guess is it will be a long wait for a LR Model Y, maybe late 2022 at the earliest. Tesla can still crank out the current version Model Ys in Fremont. If it is a choice between new cells going to Berlin or going to Texas, I think they will go to Berlin first so they can start selling Model Ys in the European market. Tesla usually provides the latest significant innovations to their high margin performance cars. At least in the US I expect many performance Model Ys to be delivered with the new cells before you see any in the long range.

In addition, the current Cybertruck specs require improved batteries. If Tesla is feeling pressure from the Ford F-150 Lightening then Tesla may want to start delivering Cybertrucks. My guess is that significant improvements to the US Model Y might only come after competition from Cybertrucks or other vehicles start eating into sales.

The big unknown, the HUGE unknown, is how quickly can Tesla ramp up production of the new batteries. The guesses above were based on the ideas that it will take time to ramp up production and there are other vehicles that have higher priority than US long range Model Ys.

But it could play out differently. Maybe Tesla wants to quickly push to make the Model Y the top selling car of any kind in the US.
3. Same thing with a potential reinstatement of the federal tax credit. A credit of potentially $10,000 seems worth waiting for, especially if you would end up with the next gen too.
Who knows? One version of the Clean Energy for America Act would give a retroactive $7500 tax credit on Teslas bought after May 24, 2021, and a $10,000 tax credit for Teslas bought after December 31, 2021. But don't count on it. As Mark Twain said:

No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the congress is in session.

The politics of Tesla can be insane. It's illegal to sell or even officially service Teslas in my state. I was at a body shop yesterday to discuss tinting and ppf. They told me they wanted to fix someone's Tesla but Tesla couldn't sell them the parts! They are very rare here. The only Tesla I've seen in person is the one I bought. I've seen a golden retriever wearing googles riding in a motorcycle sidecar in person but I haven't seen another Tesla (I wish I had a TeslaCam for that golden retriever).

I took delivery of a new Model Y last week (woot! woot!) I'm not eligible for the tax credit and my analysis above (such as it is) led me to decide to buy now and not wait. Eventually people are going to pay less and get more. Eventually a lot more. I think that's wonderful. More power to them. I'm delighted if my purchase now helps make that happen even if in a very small way. For me, part of the dream of owning a Tesla was to be part of the change, not to just reap the rewards of the change. I can greatly overstate the case by paraphrasing JFK

I chose to buy a Tesla this year, not because it was easy but because it was hard.

Last edited:
I've decided to order a MY and have been looking around and educating myself before I do. I have a couple of questions:

2. Any clues when MYs with the new battery and structural battery pack will be available? At this point I feel like if I place an order now it might literally be December or later, and by then those updated configurations might be becoming available. No clue if the updates will happen automatically or will be a different option or what. But if waiting a few months means the next gen Y I'd be inclined to do it.

I'm tempted to put an order in now just to get in the cue, then see what happens with these other things and push it back three months if it'll make a difference. Is anybody else thinking about these things?

And yes, I know if I wait for the latest Tesla I'll never stop waiting, and that makes sense to me if you're talking about matte trim or a USB stick in the glove box. But getting the next gen Model Y and/or a $10K rebate is orders of magnitude more significant and seem worth waiting for if we're only talking two or three months. Is anybody else waiting for these sorts of things, or is there any info out there when to expect the next gen to be available for order?
The PPF and mud flaps seem to be a regional thing and hit or miss. Some have talked about having it on their newly delivered cars, while others haven’t. From what I have seen through the last few hundred pages of this thread, the majority are not being delivered with it. I could be wrong about that.

The new battery and frame, I think that one is a tougher one, Elon said that all Model Ys out of giga TX will have the new frame and batteries. It looks like they could be producing at some capacity out of giga TX in Q3, like a tent type situation like they have/had in Fremont. However, just by global shortages and Elon talking about the new cells being challenging to make, Q3 for the batteries…I personally don’t know about that one, and that is my limited knowledge about the cells and the production of them. I know that Panasonic has been working on some test production runs, so who knows that could very well be one of those Elon announcements that he does on the quarterly calls.

Also note that even if the new pack is in the car, they may reduce the kWh on the battery to keep the same range as the cars have now to be able to supply more with limited production of the new cells. Knowing they are itching to get the cyber truck out as well. If they do choose to go that route, the first version MY with the new cells may not have a lot more benefits, from a range perspective.

The credit could happen, may not.

My wife and I had the exact same thinking as you, but we put the order in because we moved down to one car last year for a few reasons, mainly because we don’t need two cars when we are both home all the time. But now with our son starting school and our offices starting to open back up, our decision was made for us, we were hoping to wait for the new battery pack, but ultimately we are going to need another car, it has to be electric and I have wanted a Tesla for years. I think we will be happy with our decision even if they launch the new car a week after we get delivery.

So the question is can you wait? If so, I would wait for the new pack with the increased range, although then you risk of a longer wait due to demand and/or a price increase….or a price decrease.

sorry I didn’t help you at all, I think you will be happy either way as long as you set your expectations of having to wait

@BitJam said it better and beat me to it, don’t listen to mine.

@joewithblueMY I thought you said it better:

So the question is can you wait? If so, I would wait for the new pack with the increased range, [...]

and:

I think we will be happy with our decision even if they launch the new car a week after we get delivery.

Nobody knows the answer. We gave Wigan two informed opinions and gave our reasons for buying now. I was glad to see so much overlap in our thinking. I found your opinion useful.

I'm now reminded of how disappointing the Plaid release was. I was hoping for a big surprise. If there was good news about the new battery production the Elon would have teased us with it. I think Elon was hoping to have good news about batteries or FSD or something but none of it was ready.

As you hinted, if the tax credit rebate becomes real then there will be a flood of demand and prices and delays might continue to increase.

Reactions: PatrickTM
This is in NJ. Ordered on 4/27. After delivery hold (because of NJ rebate) released on 7/6; EDD was 7/21-8/7 then yesterday EDD was September. I received Final Payment email today with Tesla Vision Acceptance & VIN (227xxx) - delivery between 7/19-7/25. NJ Rebate is washed for me if I reorder; will see how rebate goes.
I am in NJ as well. I removed my hold on 06/03 and EDD is 07/28 - 08/17, no vin or anything yet. This is so not fair 😂.
What’s your build? Mine is base MY, no upgrades. Waiting for NJ rebate was a waste of time and money 🤬.

Others have answered all the questions well but I figured I'd provide a bit more color on #2 based on what I've been hearing from others who track Giga Texas closely. For the 4680 cells, they will likely be provided by the Kato facility early on in the MY production since the battery facilities at Texas will likely not be functional till next year. Also remember that 4680 is a size and that. they could very well use that SIZE cell without the dry cell battery chem that they are working on just to get the cells inside the car.
The mega castings are alive and well there already so the first MY to roll off the line there will have them already integrated into the car.

That said, if you are "waiting" to take delivery of a TESLA VEHICLE because of what they WILL have in the future, you will always be waiting... they are constantly improving them and adding (also taking away) things so its best to just order it when you are ready and want it and enjoy the roll of the dice that you get for a car. Know that you will love it and will there be things that you wish you had in the models that come later? sure but there will be people after you that will wish they had things you have that they do not... LOL

Others have answered all the questions well but I figured I'd provide a bit more color on #2 based on what I've been hearing from others who track Giga Texas closely. For the 4680 cells, they will likely be provided by the Kato facility early on in the MY production since the battery facilities at Texas will likely not be functional till next year. Also remember that 4680 is a size and that. they could very well use that SIZE cell without the dry cell battery chem that they are working on just to get the cells inside the car.
The mega castings are alive and well there already so the first MY to roll off the line there will have them already integrated into the car.

That said, if you are "waiting" to take delivery of a TESLA VEHICLE because of what they WILL have in the future, you will always be waiting... they are constantly improving them and adding (also taking away) things so its best to just order it when you are ready and want it and enjoy the roll of the dice that you get for a car. Know that you will love it and will there be things that you wish you had in the models that come later? sure but there will be people after you that will wish they had things you have that they do not... LOL
Oh I meant to include this before... He is awesome at tracking gig Texas and providing real numbers based information. (his Q2 production numbers were only a few hundred off!)
This is just one video where he answers questions like this (you can ask him more!) but he has many others that you might find informative as well

19 burning questions about Tesla - Giga Texas, Giga Nevada, CyberTruck, and SpaceX

This is in NJ. Ordered on 4/27. After delivery hold (because of NJ rebate) released on 7/6; EDD was 7/21-8/7 then yesterday EDD was September. I received Final Payment email today with Tesla Vision Acceptance & VIN (227xxx) - delivery between 7/19-7/25. NJ Rebate is washed for me if I reorder; will see how rebate goes.
That’s awesome news! Have they scheduled and confirmed your delivery yet or just the updated EDD?