Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current Delivery Times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, i'm coming up on another EDD window and im slowly losing hope haha. Heres my config and details:

MYLR, White/White, 20s, No tow, No FSD.
Order date: 8/21
Current EDD window: December 3rd - December 17th.

The SA I spoke to said that i'm "soft matched" to a car and gave me 11/24 as a date. I'm not sure what it exactly means though.
Soft match is a good comment.
When my SA said that I got a VIN after about 3-6 days. Good luck.

Here’s a trivia question for the group: does anyone know who first started the phrase “inner peace”?

This question will separate the veterans from the new folks! Hint hint: I am L…
I joined in early August. It was iamlukewang in September. The phrase spoke to me so I adopted it. :)

Alright guys, I will need to update my signature at some point. Here’s a recap of 7SAYGDEE3NF310973 (white Model Y LR five seater with black interior, stock wheels, and tow hitch). BLUF: I let go of my VIN and my order’s once again placed on hold until 31 December at the latest, or whenever I click the “I’m ready” button.

Here’s the full story. Since getting assigned a VIN on Thursday, I received a text and email Thursday evening telling me to schedule appointment for delivery pick up. Yesterday (Friday) I was planning on calling, but then received an automated text (and email followup) saying if you do nothing, your VIN will be automatically reassigned to another customer. Cool! Today, they texted me confirmation that the VIN is gone, and that my account is on hold. I checked my account, and sure enough, it’s on hold until I’m ready, or until December 31st, whichever is earlier.

Here’s my full timeline:

7 May: Ordered, did not complete profile, placed on hold
18 Sep: “I’m ready” button pressed, completed profile same day. EDD immediately said October, but new orders at that point had est. delivery of March 2022
22 Sep: EDD went away
15 Oct: EDD 8Feb to 8Mar
27 Oct: EDD 25Jan to 22Feb
1 Nov: EDD 22 Feb to 22 Mar
4 Nov: EDD 17 Jan to 14 Feb
18 Nov: VIN assigned 7SAYGDEE3NF310973
20 Nov: VIN released, order automatically placed on hold

Some analysis and takeaways:
- Being a May order on hold until September placed me in relatively front of the queue. Currently I am not aware of any September LR orders getting VINs.
- Date of hold release to VIN assignment was exactly, EXACTLY two months to the day. Seems like I was on a priority VIN assignment list when another customer could not take delivery, and this was not the original build I was scheduled for (my EDD was two to three months away when I was assigned VIN)
- Once VIN is assigned they wait about 6 hours before they text and email you to schedule
- Once VIN is assigned you have LESS THAN 48 hours before your car is gone. If you’re not checking your Tesla account at least 2-3 times per day, such as a normal functioning adult with a full time job, relying on their text and email will result in far fewer than 48 hours before your car is gone

Skip to today. My mom was nice enough to call Tesla and ask about what all this means. Yes, she’s very personally interested in my Tesla experience, since she’s swung back from ID.4 to Model Y again. She’s a bit indecisive on what she wants, but knows she wants electric. Her conversation summarized:

Q: I’m worried that my May order, which is $8k cheaper than current price, will get cancelled and you guys will make us pay more. Is that a reasonable concern?

A: Tesla will contact you before any orders are cancelled

Q: Tell me more about placing orders on hold

A: As of couple months ago, policy on holds has changed and there’s no more holds. Leave your account incomplete if you’re not quite ready, but know that Tesla is going through old orders and “cleaning up” old orders. At some point in the coming months customers will be asked to complete profile and take delivery, or have their order cancelled.

Q: My son recently had a VIN assigned and he never scheduled delivery, and VIN is reassigned.

A: Every order gets a maximum of two attempts at delivery. The first missed attempt automatically places your account on hold for a while. The second attempt will result in automatically cancelling the order.

This was a lot of info to catch you guys up on. This episode worked out for me okay. Sorry this was just pure reporting of facts from my experience, nothing funny or witty because I’m in business mode. As with everything Tesla, your customer experience might be (wildly) different.
Interesting post. There are a few things here that piqued my interest.

First, the Tesla service representative said they stopped doing holds a few months ago? This is probably not quite true, because I had mine put on hold on Nov 5 until Dec 31 to ensure I can get the tax credit if available. Still, I am curious if people asking for a hold now are getting turned down.

Second, your car was automatically placed on hold until Dec 31 after you turned down your VIN? This seems unusual, but would make sense if Tesla is starting to figure out that most people rejecting VINs now are trying to push to 2022. Still, it doesn’t quite square with a new policy not allowing holds. I would be curious to know if others rejecting their VINs now are also getting automatic holds until the end of the year.

Honestly, reading this thread I am surprised there are so many people accepting their cars right now with the possibility of a huge discount just a few weeks away. The bill (in some form) certainly looks to me like it will pass, so requesting a hold was a no brainer for me. Are people so excited to receive their new cars that they don’t care about the $8K? I know that a tax liability will be needed to get the credit (at least for 2022) so there may be a few people who know they wouldn’t get the credit anyway. I would have to think that most would though, since a certain level of income is needed to purchase a $60K car.

First, the Tesla service representative said they stopped doing holds a few months ago? This is probably not quite true, because I had mine put on hold on Nov 5 until Dec 31 to ensure I can get the tax credit if available. Still, I am curious if people asking for a hold now are getting turned down.

Second, your car was automatically placed on hold until Dec 31 after you turned down your VIN? This seems unusual, but would make sense if Tesla is starting to figure out that most people rejecting VINs now are trying to push to 2022. Still, it doesn’t quite square with a new policy not allowing holds. I would be curious to know if others rejecting their VINs now are also getting automatic holds until the end of the year.

Honestly, reading this thread I am surprised there are so many people accepting their cars right now with the possibility of a huge discount just a few weeks away. The bill (in some form) certainly looks to me like it will pass, so requesting a hold was a no brainer for me. Are people so excited to receive their new cars that they don’t care about the $8K? I know that a tax liability will be needed to get the credit (at least for 2022) so there may be a few people who know they wouldn’t get the credit anyway. I would have to think that most would though, since a certain level of income is needed to purchase a $60K car.
It depends on your situation. For some, $8k is a drop in the bucket. And there is no guarantee there will be a tax credit. The current bill is dead on arrival. My delivery is expected to be June, so I don’t need to worry. However, I may order another model 3 and those seem to be coming quickly.

Reactions: samori01

Yup, the "no holds" policy makes no sense especially considering my order was placed on hold.

And yes, tons of people are buying Teslas right now at current pricing, without federal incentives. There's a lot of pent up demand and short supply, and if someone absolutely needs a car, they need a car ASAP. If my wife's school started in this month or December, I would have cheerily accepted 310973 so she'd have a fun and safe car to drive, without having to coordinate a schedule with me every day. Also, I have wavering faith the BBB bill will pass into law. Sure, I'd love to see it! But recent years have opened my eyes to all kinds "interesting" political beliefs, folks that used to be considered batshit crazy that are now elected officials. So I will believe it when I see it.

The senate version of the bill has a provision to remove the limit of 200,000 cars per manufacturer for cars sold after May 2021. That could allow the $7500 tax credit without the price or income caps for cars bought this year.
In my case the reason I am not holding MY delivery: we need to sell my x-7 while the used car prices are still holding great. Not sure what will happen in a month or two, didnt want to take a chance! Also want the MY already!

It depends on your situation. For some, $8k is a drop in the bucket. And there is no guarantee there will be a tax credit. The current bill is dead on arrival. My delivery is expected to be June, so I don’t need to worry. However, I may order another model 3 and those seem to be coming quickly.
I’ve seen several comments on this site saying that $8K doesn’t mean a lot to high earners, but I don’t think this is true. People who make a lot are often savvy on their taxes and an $8K credit is hard to turn down unless you are uberrich. Maintaining wealth requires financial acumen, and tossing aside $8K is the opposite. I have personally observed wealthy colleagues drive a few extra miles to a cheaper gas station, so believe these behaviors are ingrained whether it is a few dollars or a few thousand.

I suppose I understand the argument that if you really need the car now that the $8K might not be worth it. But even then, one could temporarily rent on Turo or take over someone’s lease for a few months and still wind up ahead. Plus, ordering a car from Tesla requires a certain amount of flexibility since these cars could arrive next month or next year.

I know everyone’s situation is unique so I’m not trying to be judgmental here. I’m just curious what is motivating people.

I’ve seen several comments on this site saying that $8K doesn’t mean a lot to high earners, but I don’t think this is true. People who make a lot are often savvy on their taxes and an $8K credit is hard to turn down unless you are uberrich. Maintaining wealth requires financial acumen, and tossing aside $8K is the opposite. I have personally observed wealthy colleagues drive a few extra miles to a cheaper gas station, so believe these behaviors are ingrained whether it is a few dollars or a few thousand.

I suppose I understand the argument that if you really need the car now that the $8K might not be worth it. But even then, one could temporarily rent on Turo or take over someone’s lease for a few months and still wind up ahead. Plus, ordering a car from Tesla requires a certain amount of flexibility since these cars could arrive next month or next year.

I know everyone’s situation is unique so I’m not trying to be judgmental here. I’m just curious what is motivating people.
I don’t disagree with the wealthy and how they manage money. Maybe most people are thinking I ordered mine before all the price increases and want it asap to flip, or in their minds they were fine with the price and won’t wait for a tax credit that may never come. It will interesting the next few weeks as more people ask for delays. Everyone thinks it’s January 1, but in reality it’s when/if the bill gets based. Could be March. I cannot see Tesla holding cars with all the uncertainty. Interesting times.

I don’t disagree with the wealthy and how they manage money. Maybe most people are thinking I ordered mine before all the price increases and want it asap to flip, or in their minds they were fine with the price and won’t wait for a tax credit that may never come. It will interesting the next few weeks as more people ask for delays. Everyone thinks it’s January 1, but in reality it’s when/if the bill gets based. Could be March. I cannot see Tesla holding cars with all the uncertainty. Interesting times.
I bet you’re right that some will see that they are already ahead if they locked their price months ago, so will use that to rationalize taking delivery now. But $8K is $8K whether you are ahead or behind, or if you intend to keep or flip the car. It is independent of these factors.

Reactions: 45thParallel
I bet you’re right that some will see that they are already ahead if they locked their price months ago, so will use that to rationalize taking delivery now. But $8K is $8K whether you are ahead or behind, or if you intend to keep or flip the car. It is independent of these factors.
$8K is a substantial amount of money, but it's in no way a guarantee it will ever happen for anyone buying a Tesla from here forward, nor is it a guarantee the senate won't put the May 2021 deadline back in as originally penned. Nobody knows what the future holds. So making decisions based on something that might happen is a valid approach, just as making a decision based on what is currently true - i.e., that no Tesla gets a tax credit - is valid as well. I have no regrets taking delivery in 2021. And even if this does pass, and we're left out in the cold, that's going to hurt my feelings a bit, but I'll live, and maybe I'll get to take advantage on the next go round.

My EDD is 12/22 -12/31 and given the opportunity I’m taking delivery now and not looking back. My wife and I are down to one car being that I sold my Etron end of October for an amount that I was not willing to refuse lol. We’ve been getting by fine with one car being that my wife works from home but I just want my Tesla. Not to mention gas is almost $6 a gallon here in the Bay Area.

There are a lot of what-ifs. What if they means-test? What if the eligibility date changes? What if so many people put their orders on hold and if I do I end up having to wait until April or September to get my car, when I can get it now?

I think I'll have to think hard about it if the legislation passes between now and when I see my VIN (hopefully it shows up before the end of the year: see sig) but if the bill languishes, I will just bite the bullet and accept the car.

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush...

There seems to be a pretty big window of order dates (April - August) that are becoming eligible for delivery now. I suspect it's because a lot of people are releasing vins to delay until next year. If you delay now, you will be behind all the others who have released before you and will possibly have a long wait starting in January for a new delivery date.

Hi all, i'm coming up on another EDD window and im slowly losing hope haha. Heres my config and details:

MYLR, White/White, 20s, No tow, No FSD.
Order date: 8/21
Current EDD window: December 3rd - December 17th.

The SA I spoke to said that i'm "soft matched" to a car and gave me 11/24 as a date. I'm not sure what it exactly means though.
We have the same build, 1 day difference in OD and same state with similar EDD. I hope this a good sign for us!

Reactions: acatwith12

I got a vin and was able to put mine on hold on 11/18, was told I keep my price and would most likely get the car sometime in Q1 next year.(but not early January)

For me as someone who (unhappily) pays taxes, cares about the environment, and invests in Tesla...
the best part of the bill (incentives to kill coal) are getting nerfed anyway.

I would rather them not pass the bill, but I expect they will.
So I will wait and try to get the incentive.

Reactions: samori01