Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current Delivery Times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am hoping those of us that get the 2170 models without the new castings are not getting an inferior car. I am guessing the new updated models will be more of a benefit to Tesla and won’t be too noticeable by the consumer.
While Tesla has floated the idea of a '2170 backup plan' battery pack, they would have done it by now IMHO.
The 2170 pack is a redesign, and only needed if the 4680 had a significant hiccup in engineering.
They've been waiting on 4680 because most of the cost advantage is with using them, not the 2170, which they buy from Panasonic.

The new MY chassis build v2.0 will be
1) faster and cheaper to manufacture - they keep the profits on the batteries, and the process uses 2/3 the number of robots
2) be lighter by 10% overall (440lbs) - which means they can reduce the battery pack kWh rating if they so choose and still get the range
handling and performance will significantly benefit from that reduction in weight as well
3) potentially have better fit/finish, since the chassis that the body panels are hung on will be more dimensionally consistent (2 castings vs bunches of welded steel stampings)

There are thousands of Front Megacastings stacked up outdoors on the lot at Fremont, and piles already made at Austin.
As I'm sure you know, MY has been being built with the Rear Megacast since spring of 2021.
It looks like spring of 22 introduces the 4680 and the new chassis for it.
Even today, more calibration chassis have been delivered to Austin that exhibit the empty floorpan for a 4680 structural battery pack (the 2170 pack would have a reinforced floorpan).

All this is of course speculation, based on available evidence but speculation nonetheless. Only Tesla knows what how and when, and they're not talking.
The Media frenzy when real evidence emerges will fan the fanboi flames and the order books will get flooded again.

Reactions: Spookynick
My neighbor ordered his LR AWD back in Oct, initially he got an April EDD, then that changed to Dec, then Feb/Mar and over lunch today he said he checked his account this morning and his new EDD is SEPTEMBER. He’s frustrated but plans on riding this out as it may mean he gets an Austin 4680 Y. But the question remains - what the bell is going on.

My neighbor ordered his LR AWD back in Oct, initially he got an April EDD, then that changed to Dec, then Feb/Mar and over lunch today he said he checked his account this morning and his new EDD is SEPTEMBER. He’s frustrated but plans on riding this out as it may mean he gets an Austin 4680 Y. But the question remains - what the bell is going on.
My unfounded guess? MY orders east of the Mississippi are getting queued up for the Austin Gigafactory so that transport for delivery costs are reduced.

Reactions: SWIPE and curyllic
The Tesla EDD system is .... ahem..... unreliable.
Prior experience is that the initial estimate at time of order tends to be closest to what happens.
In between, the logistics system recalculates almost daily and spits out.....garbage.

FWIW I just added the MYLR to my insurance and it added $91/mo to my insurance. Straight add, I didn't delete any vehicles. I live in Maryland---which is probably higher cost but I'm not really sure--and am with USAA. And as most USAA users know, it really doesn't matter what they charge, it's USAA so you do it, so I can't give any comparative info. But hopefully that gives some idea for other folks.

Reactions: PatrickTM
FWIW I just added the MYLR to my insurance and it added $91/mo to my insurance. Straight add, I didn't delete any vehicles. I live in Maryland---which is probably higher cost but I'm not really sure--and am with USAA. And as most USAA users know, it really doesn't matter what they charge, it's USAA so you do it, so I can't give any comparative info. But hopefully that gives some idea for other folks.

I saved a lot of money by leaving USAA

Reactions: Wigan
this morning my edd changed from June to Mar 1-30. Anyone else has new estimates with closer dates?
No change to my EDD (2/10 to 3/10). It has held steady for the last five weeks. But today I was finally contacted for the 1st time by a human (via text) since I placed the order 121 days ago (9/15/21).

He said they anticipate my car arriving next month and they'll reach out to me when a VIN is assigned so I can get insurance and get me scheduled within three days of the car arriving.

If it's now high enough in the order queue for them to contact me, I'd assume the EDD window would have shrunk.

No change to my EDD (2/10 to 3/10). It has held steady for the last five weeks. But today I was finally contacted for the 1st time by a human (via text) since I placed the order 121 days ago (9/15/21).

He said they anticipate my car arriving next month and they'll reach out to me when a VIN is assigned so I can get insurance and get me scheduled within three days of the car arriving.

If it's now high enough in the order queue for them to contact me, I'd assume the EDD window would have shrunk.
I'm scheduled to pick up in a week and I've literally never been contacted at all, other than a robo-text when it was time to pick my delivery day.

I'm in CA so this may or may not be applicable.

I've been with AAA for 20-some years, but AAA will not insure Tesla vehicles here.
Apparently AAA views Tesla as a competitor since they write insurance directly in CA (and TX now, and elsewhere on a limited basis).

I shopped about a dozen insurance carriers and brokers and discovered a significant surprise.
COSTCO AUTO INSURANCE was the least expensive for me, despite offering better coverage than most others.
In fact, 250/500 w/500 deductible was still 20% less than anyone else at 100/300 w/1000 deductible.

It wasn't even close. YMMV

Reactions: SWIPE and Wigan

I've been with AAA for 20-some years, but AAA will not insure Tesla vehicles here.
Apparently AAA views Tesla as a competitor since they write insurance directly in CA (and TX now, and elsewhere on a limited basis).

I shopped about a dozen insurance carriers and brokers and discovered a significant surprise.
COSTCO AUTO INSURANCE was the least expensive for me, despite offering better coverage than most others.
In fact, 250/500 w/500 deductible was still 20% less than anyone else at 100/300 w/1000 deductible.

Im going to get a quote from Costco after I take delivery. Geico is a little pricey for my current Model 3 but I have very low deductibles. Thinking the Model Y will cost more than the Model 3 with Geico because the Y an SUV type vehicle. Anyone know if this is true?

My current AmFam agent said that Costco AmFam does not cover the car at 100% cash value and it is covered at 80% once I told him that I am getting a cheaper quote from Costco. Also mentioned that price will jump after the initial 6 month period. Anyone has experience or truth to this? Assuming that same underwriters are writing the insurance and he is just bluffing

My current AmFam agent said that Costco AmFam does not cover the car at 100% cash value and it is covered at 80% once I told him that I am getting a cheaper quote from Costco. Also mentioned that price will jump after the initial 6 month period. Anyone has experience or truth to this? Assuming that same underwriters are writing the insurance and he is just bluffing
Can't answer that, but I can tell you that Costco IS American Family Insurance (AmFam). At least here in CA.

It's true. They want to grow the business so they suck you in with the hope of sneaking in future increases. But they all seem to steadily increase premiums. I call my insurance agent every few years and he gives a nice discount going forward which is sure to disappear with future increases.

It's true. They want to grow the business so they suck you in with the hope of sneaking in future increases. But they all seem to steadily increase premiums. I call my insurance agent every few years and he gives a nice discount going forward which is sure to disappear with future increases.
I cannot answer directly to the rate increases but I have a couple friends who have contracts with Costco/AmFam and they have yet to see that after 3 years.

I am thinking to order a MYLR today and they say EDD in July
Will I get my car around that time or it will delayed for months
any idea
Read the August/July order date threads. Many of us today are going on 5-6+ month long waits. There’s reason to believe that the Austin Gigafactory that will come online soon will decrease the wait time but I wouldn’t say it’s guaranteed.