Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current owners of 40 kWh configuration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey MS 40 kwh owners, I'm curious if any of you have ever purchased on considered purchasing a model 3? Having an older S and hearing lots of horror stories about sudden battery or DU failure, it's got me thinking more about reliability and whether a model 3, preferably still with at least a few years worth of warranty, would be the safer route. I'm starting to see some pretty decent deals on M3s in the high teens. Much more range and supercharging in addition to a more reliable battery are awesome too. I just imagine how my S battery could go at any time and then I'm really in the hole financially, having to either sell it for parts or fork over $15k to keep an old car on the road. I would definitely rather switch to a M3 before this happens as I'm not excited about putting so much money in an old car (would rather use that money for a 4-5 year old M3).

I will say that I am torn on whether I like the 3 or S better, as they both do some things better than the other. I would miss some things about the S like the cargo space, dash display, and free unlimited connectivity.

I have 2013 MS40 (paid for the battery upgrade to 60) and bought a Model 3. But, that’s my wife’s car and not a replacement for my S. I plan on driving my S until Tesla no longer makes parts for it. I work from home full time now and no way can justify the money on a new S (or M3 for that matter) to drive a few miles down the road to the gym and back…..

Reactions: JasonA-EV
I have 2013 MS40 (paid for the battery upgrade to 60) and bought a Model 3. But, that’s my wife’s car and not a replacement for my S. I plan on driving my S until Tesla no longer makes parts for it. I work from home full time now and no way can justify the money on a new S (or M3 for that matter) to drive a few miles down the road to the gym and back…..
How do you like the 3? I'm strongly considering it since they tend to be more reliable and I'd gain significant range and ability to supercharge. I've seen some very good deals (for example just saw a 2022 long range dual motor at $20k with 100k miles - I know, it was a rental). The S rides so nicely though, so I'm torn because a part of me is already attached to it even though I've only had it 4 months. Risk mitigation is a big part of it with the old S being out of warranty.