Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current Tesla owners low take rate on reservations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah. I’ve bought three cars in my life. All new. If I’m gonna be making a major purchase, i would rather it be just mine. Probably a poor choice financially but it’s how I feel for some reason.
Buying new cars is always a poor choice financially, unless there's a large tax credit on it that will soon expire. I always buy lightly used cars and let some other fool take the big depreciation hit, then sell it before major repair costs begin. The full tax credit (10k in my state) is the only thing that could ever make me buy a new car, because it will negate a large portion of the initial depreciation.

While it's definitely more expensive, buying a car new lets me rest assured that a previous owner did not abuse it. But I bought my 2004 Prius new because I didn't want to wait for what was then a revolutionary technology. I bought my Zap Xebra new because that was the only way to get one. I might have been able to get a used Roadster, but a sport car is likely to have been abused. And I bought my Model 3 news because, again, I didn't want to wait two years for them to start appearing on the used market, and I've probably only got another ten years or so before I'm too old to drive safely.

Buying a used car is definitely the most economical transportation, and a used econobox is the cheapest of all. But I wanted this car and I was too impatient to wait.

When I bought my Roadster I got a $7,500 federal tax credit, and there was zero state sales tax, though my registration includes an EV surcharge. For the Model 3, the first $32K is exempt from WA state sales tax and I paid sales tax only on the balance.

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak and DR61
While it's definitely more expensive, buying a car new lets me rest assured that a previous owner did not abuse it. But I bought my 2004 Prius new because I didn't want to wait for what was then a revolutionary technology. I bought my Zap Xebra new because that was the only way to get one. I might have been able to get a used Roadster, but a sport car is likely to have been abused. And I bought my Model 3 news because, again, I didn't want to wait two years for them to start appearing on the used market, and I've probably only got another ten years or so before I'm too old to drive safely.

Buying a used car is definitely the most economical transportation, and a used econobox is the cheapest of all. But I wanted this car and I was too impatient to wait.

When I bought my Roadster I got a $7,500 federal tax credit, and there was zero state sales tax, though my registration includes an EV surcharge. For the Model 3, the first $32K is exempt from WA state sales tax and I paid sales tax only on the balance.

Wish I would be eligible for the WA sales tax exemption and the full $7500 but it’s not gonna happen for me haha.

I've spent a couple hours reviewing the 2018 Leaf. It's a good car, more room in a smaller footprint, $15K less, adequate acceleration, adequate range. Certain design features I find attractive: keys, charge point is in front, frunk cover strong enough to not need warning labels, a rational control layout reserving the screen for navigation and such, hatchback. The ProPilot has gotten good reviews. Shorter length, narrower and taller. Taller tires (important in Stumptown). The 2019 will have thermal control for the battery.

Not as attractive as the Model 3, 16 years of waiting down the tubes.

... 16 years of waiting down the tubes.

16 years? What could you have bought 16 years ago? You could have gotten a Zap Xebra in 2005 or 2006. 20 miles of range on the stock battery, or 40 miles with an aftermarket battery pack, 35 mph top speed on level ground, 0-35 in half a minute. But it was so much fun to drive! Would you have wanted a first-gen Leaf with the lack of battery temp control? (I wanted one. Lucky for me they screwed me over so many times I quit waiting and got the Roadster instead.)

16 years of waiting and next year you'll have two decent choices: The less-expensive improved leaf, or the nicer, higher-performance and more expensive base Model 3.

Not 16 years down the tubes, but 16 years of waiting for the right car (or two) to come along.

Reactions: dhrivnak
Sigh..you are clearly persistent in your knocks. Pick a negative thread and you’re there with your pontification of why not.

Btw: I’ve rented the XC90 about a 1/2 dozen times; the latest, this past weekend in Charlotte.

What a substandard drive, horrible GUI, awful sound system, dismal self driving app (it would disconnnext without notice, always shut down on a school zone even on a Sunday, couldn’t stay in a lane when road was winding).

What a breathe of fresh air for me to be back in Naples driving my X....
I'm coming from an Acura ILX - nearly anything will be an upgrade.

And I was a devout Tesla and Model 3 fanboy for several years, excited in 2016 by the prospect of finally being able to grab a Tesla that wouldn't blow up our car budget ala the super-hyped $35k Model 3 with the full federal tax credit (and WA state EV tax incentive, which will probably die this summer). I lined up for hours in the cold to throw Elon a $1k deposit toward a sight unseen vehicle because I just knew it'd totally be worth it. Every reveal after the first one and every subsequent delay helped convince me that it wasn't, and now I get to field "where's that Tesla you said would be so great?" questions from family and friends.

Last edited:
It's fascinating to see all the different opinions people have of those who had a reservation.
Especially the folks who seem to hold so much hate in their brains for people who just wanted a good EV.

I'm in that camp. I specifically waited for the Model 3. I believe in Tesla's mission. I am the target market. I want a good value car for a reasonable price. I want it to be electric. I want it to be made by a company that actually wants to change the world.

So when reservations began I put mine in immediately.

Then I waited. Patiently. No muss no fuss. It would happen when it happened. I stayed away from these forums because there was just so much negativity and ill-informed speculation about the motives of people with reservations.

Then recently they got a Model 3 in at the Atlanta showroom. That changed everything. With the Model 3, Model S, and the Model X on display, I could finally do the one thing that gave me pause about my reservation. I could actually sit my 6'3" 290 lb body in each of the cars and see how they felt. That changed everything.

It wasn't about patience, or greed, or gaming the system. It never was.

It was bout finding the right car. I'm not wealthy. I'm not hurting either. I make about $100k/year and so does my husband. We're comfortable. Our plan was to wait and buy 2 Model 3s. We don't need super speed or super distance or anything else, really. The basic car was fine with us. Until we sat in one.

The Model S was simply too small. My head was touching the ceiling in the back seat (I ride there often) and the front seat was very uncomfortably tight to me, no matter how I adjusted the seat.

The Model 3 was much better. It still felt tight both front and back, but I would be happy with it as a daily car. It's just not enough to do road trips.

Now road trips was never one of our requirements. We don't take them very often and so we hadn't thought about it.

When I sat in the Model X that changed. Suddenly I thought about a whole bunch of road trips I'd like to take. We've never explored the National Parks. We've never explored the midwest or the southwest or the Pacific coast or even the east coast. We've talked about them all, but never really explored it. Sitting in the Model X we started talking about it again. "Man, wouldn't it be cool to drive this around the Grand Canyon? Or up the coast in Fall for the leaves?"

Plus it was FAR more comfortable than either the Model S or 3. And then we test drove it. It was great.

And suddenly we were okay staying a 1-car family, and making that car an investment. At 55, it's the most expensive car I've ever bought. By a factor of 3+. The payments will be more than our mortgage. The insurance increases by $200/month. In every way, it's a stretch, but one we will manage just fine.

In the end, we canceled our Model 3 reservation. We bought the 75 Model X in blue with EAP. It arrives in June.

We had no hidden agenda. We weren't gaming the reservation system. We weren't trying cheat or resell anything. We just changed our mind.

This is one of the more idiotic analyst reports (at least as summarized in the click-bait article).

Current S/X owners can have many reasons to defer ordering including:
  • AWD
  • Performance
  • White seats
  • Standard battery
  • Non-PUP interior
  • Existing lease hasn't expired
  • Waiting for availability of Model 3 lease
  • Would prefer not to have early build
  • Etc.
If the analyst really wanted to know what percentage of S/X owners with a 3 reservation did not intend to buy one he could have asked them or asked if they had canceled. I wonder why he didn't ask those questions (or apparently did not report the answers).

Absolutely! I've had a Model S, and currently have a model X. I was contacted and could have my Model 3 by now, but I bought both the S and X very early in production and was disappointed when important features (S:bumper sensors, X:more cameras) were added shortly after. Also, I don't want black seats. So I'm waiting for my Model X lease to be up and then will gladly take my 3.

Reactions: davidc18
It's fascinating to see all the different opinions people have of those who had a reservation.
Especially the folks who seem to hold so much hate in their brains for people who just wanted a good EV.

I'm in that camp. I specifically waited for the Model 3. I believe in Tesla's mission. I am the target market. I want a good value car for a reasonable price. I want it to be electric. I want it to be made by a company that actually wants to change the world.

So when reservations began I put mine in immediately.

Then I waited. Patiently. No muss no fuss. It would happen when it happened. I stayed away from these forums because there was just so much negativity and ill-informed speculation about the motives of people with reservations.

Then recently they got a Model 3 in at the Atlanta showroom. That changed everything. With the Model 3, Model S, and the Model X on display, I could finally do the one thing that gave me pause about my reservation. I could actually sit my 6'3" 290 lb body in each of the cars and see how they felt. That changed everything.

It wasn't about patience, or greed, or gaming the system. It never was.

It was bout finding the right car. I'm not wealthy. I'm not hurting either. I make about $100k/year and so does my husband. We're comfortable. Our plan was to wait and buy 2 Model 3s. We don't need super speed or super distance or anything else, really. The basic car was fine with us. Until we sat in one.

The Model S was simply too small. My head was touching the ceiling in the back seat (I ride there often) and the front seat was very uncomfortably tight to me, no matter how I adjusted the seat.

The Model 3 was much better. It still felt tight both front and back, but I would be happy with it as a daily car. It's just not enough to do road trips.

Now road trips was never one of our requirements. We don't take them very often and so we hadn't thought about it.

When I sat in the Model X that changed. Suddenly I thought about a whole bunch of road trips I'd like to take. We've never explored the National Parks. We've never explored the midwest or the southwest or the Pacific coast or even the east coast. We've talked about them all, but never really explored it. Sitting in the Model X we started talking about it again. "Man, wouldn't it be cool to drive this around the Grand Canyon? Or up the coast in Fall for the leaves?"

Plus it was FAR more comfortable than either the Model S or 3. And then we test drove it. It was great.

And suddenly we were okay staying a 1-car family, and making that car an investment. At 55, it's the most expensive car I've ever bought. By a factor of 3+. The payments will be more than our mortgage. The insurance increases by $200/month. In every way, it's a stretch, but one we will manage just fine.

In the end, we canceled our Model 3 reservation. We bought the 75 Model X in blue with EAP. It arrives in June.

We had no hidden agenda. We weren't gaming the reservation system. We weren't trying cheat or resell anything. We just changed our mind.

Agree with your review....each vehicle has a place in marketplace for buyers.

btw: Congrats on your X purchase.....bar none, my favorite vehicle ever......

I'm in no hurry to part with my 2010 Infiniti. What pushed me over the line into actually forking over the $1k deposit earlier this month was some seat time with my friend's M3 that he recently took delivery of. I had some reservations about the car, but with some hands-on time with it, no more. I have driven his P85D and knew somewhat to expect. The M3 is the next car I want. I will wait however long it takes (within reason of course). P3D-hopeful. Just gives me more time to save up more $.

Buying new cars is always a poor choice financially, unless there's a large tax credit on it that will soon expire. I always buy lightly used cars and let some other fool take the big depreciation hit, then sell it before major repair costs begin. The full tax credit (10k in my state) is the only thing that could ever make me buy a new car, because it will negate a large portion of the initial depreciation.

That 10K savings upfront doesn't bite you on the resell....?

Game changes a bit with a tax credit phase out and expiration but cars that were "given away" will also need to be given away on the sell side.

I love my 2015 85D Model S, and did place a deposit on day 1 for a Model 3. I am deferring for now until AWD comes out and I have a chance to test drive a 3 to get real feel for it. A few features of the Model 3 concern me, such as virtually all controls on the touch screen, but I really want to drive it first to make a real judgement. I originally placed the reservation for my wife, but she got tired of waiting and opted for a Lexus RX 450h hybrid. She loves it. It has a more luxurious interior, but I just don’t like driving an ICE any more. Therefore, the Model 3 will be a replacement for my S, if I decide to buy it. I could go either way at this point, but definitely need to see, touch, and drive a Model 3 to make up my mind.

Reactions: cab and Guy V
I'm in my 30s. My household makes around 100K+ a year and I own a home.
I think represent the "average" person that stood in line on 3/31.
I don't own many luxury things and i think i live pretty modestly. My current car is an old 1998 acura.

With that being said, we I thought this was going to be a 35K car and with options I would probably spend around 40-45K.
With the 7500 tax credit, it brings it down to a reason price where I am willingly to splurge a little. Yes, you got to live a little.

BUT 2 years later...
The car is actually 55K (with taxes, no EAP), and the fact that the 7.5k tax credit will be reduced by the time the 35,000 car comes out, it has us all looking for other options

Ahh, to be 30 again <sigh>. I am more than twice your age, but you have described my feelings exactly. I too expected to spend around 40-45K only to find that the configured price would be $60K plus tax and license fees.

Reactions: Callahan
Also, keep in mind that S and X owners already have a pretty nice electric car. There is less incentive to buy a Model 3 than someone who doesn't already own a Tesla. Since those people are only just now getting an opportunity to buy one, I doubt we'll see much drop in demand.

I disagree, the Model 3 is more fun to drive than any previous Tesla, and its higher efficiency means shorter charging times on road trips.

I'm in my 30s. My household makes around 100K+ a year and I own a home.
I think represent the "average" person that stood in line on 3/31.
I don't own many luxury things and i think i live pretty modestly. My current car is an old 1998 acura.

With that being said, we I thought this was going to be a 35K car and with options I would probably spend around 40-45K.
With the 7500 tax credit, it brings it down to a reason price where I am willingly to splurge a little. Yes, you got to live a little.

BUT 2 years later...
The car is actually 55K (with taxes, no EAP), and the fact that the 7.5k tax credit will be reduced by the time the 35,000 car comes out, it has us all looking for other options.

Are you me? Am I you? Did I post this?

• Funny
Reactions: Guy V and lemketron
now I get to field "where's that Tesla you said would be so great?" questions from family and friends.

Aside from my wife and 2 ex-coworkers who put down deposits with me on Mar 31, 2016, no one else knows I'm in line for a Model 3. I've certainly evangelized Tesla's mission to others, but I never felt the need to reveal I was in line for a car. Probably for the exact reason you mentioned of not wanting to field those annoying questions.

And I just realized that all y'all on the internet know more about my Model 3 plans than my family and friends.

• Funny
Reactions: 206er and brkaus
I put down reservations for two Model 3s on 31 MAR. I took delivery of mine and my cousin drove it. He previously said he would pass on the car, as being too expensive ($60,000). After the drive he placed the order for my 2nd car and will get it in 6wks or so.

My guess is that as soon as anyone actually sees the Model 3, much less drives one, canceled reservations is simply not going to be a problem for Tesla. The car is that good and that good looking.

Reactions: DR61

Two months+ wait to get a Model X? I didn't realize that.

That 10K savings upfront doesn't bite you on the resell....?

Game changes a bit with a tax credit phase out and expiration but cars that were "given away" will also need to be given away on the sell side.

Why do you say that? While the tax credit lasts it benefits new cars by the amount of the credit but if Bill Gates gave me a Lamborghini for free tomorrow and I went to sell it, I'd get exactly the same amount for it as if I'd paid for the car myself. If Joe gets a $10K tax credit for buying a car in his state, and Bill gets no tax credit in his state, assuming the cars are the same, their re-sell value will be the same.

I disagree, the Model 3 is more fun to drive than any previous Tesla, and its higher efficiency means shorter charging times on road trips.

Well, not really. I'm loving my Model 3. But speaking of actual fun to drive, the Roadster was more fun. Less practical, and not as safe, but more fun. (I decided it was time for a practical car with 5-star rating in every safety category, and fun was no longer the top priority. Actually, I only bought the Roadster because it was the only BEV I could get at the time, so for me, the 3 is a great choice. But, "most fun Tesla ever"? Nope, sorry, not.)

I put down reservations for two Model 3s on 31 MAR. I took delivery of mine and my cousin drove it. He previously said he would pass on the car, as being too expensive ($60,000). After the drive he placed the order for my 2nd car and will get it in 6wks or so.

My guess is that as soon as anyone actually sees the Model 3, much less drives one, canceled reservations is simply not going to be a problem for Tesla. The car is that good and that good looking.

I think that cost will be the only factor. I’m willing to stretch to afford this car but not any other car. I can only responsibly stretch so far though. The median household income even in areas like Seattle is under $80,000. Realistically, a $60,000 vehicle is a stretch for most families. $35,000 is much more doable. I’m somewhere in the middle and want the $46,000 version.