Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Custom USB splitter solution for M3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
does this work with the samsung t5 portable ssd?

thanks
Samsung T5 SSD datasheet says its rated 0.8A . Tesla front USB output current is maxed at 2.5A.
If you use Apple device and the charge rate is 2.1A then you may not have enough current left for T5.
If its an Android phone and pulls 1.5A for charge then the T5 will work.
This is all based on datasheet ratings.

If someone can comment on T5 real world power consumption then I can get you more accurate answer.
Thanks.

Regards,
Armen

I`m in a process of making small batch (15 boards ) for initial run. The first copy's should show up next week. Planing to 3D print enclosure for now. If there is enough interest I will order tooling (mold) for custom enclosure and use ABS material.
I’m interested. I’ve been waiting 3 weeks for Jeda hub shipping notification. This sounds smarter.

I think this is a great concept to help a lot of people out who want faster charging. I went with a $5 anker usb hub that does the job. I get it doesn't charge as fast but i can live with it. If this was at a $15 price point i would definitely buy one.

Hi all,

Navak USB splitter is now also available on amazon Canada at: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07Z2KQ719

Thanks.

Great implementation!
Thanks for making it available in Canada as well.
I agree that at $15 this is a no-brainer, but at $30 it's beyond my threshold.

I hope you make some extra money for your work here though. This is one of those things that should almost be standard with the car, since it feels like we are working around a design oversight with the cars (2 USB ports for charging phones AND dashcam/sentry).
Could be one of those accessories that every new owner is advised to buy.

If you have any coupon codes or want any winter feedback/testing in colder climates, feel free to send me a PM.

I'm using a TapTes wireless charger (2 USB ports) along with a MicroSD card reader via a cheap Y-splitter.
I accepted that the second charger slot would be slower charging so I have to keep a wired charger dangling around in the rear USB ports for those times when the passenger needs a faster charge.

Dashcam/Sentry didn't exist until a couple years after the car was designed.

You're right. I remember when I got the car in June 2018 it was pretty well-known that the feature was coming (in Elon time).
A lot about the car feels cleverly future-proof, so this particular situation kinda stands out.
Hardly a major issue, but it's something that makes me wonder how the average consumer would figure out these aftermarket workarounds.

I think this is a great concept to help a lot of people out who want faster charging. I went with a $5 anker usb hub that does the job. I get it doesn't charge as fast but i can live with it. If this was at a $15 price point i would definitely buy one.
I appropriate your input and understand your frustration. Please note that Anker is a large company and the hub they produce is used on millions of PCs, Laptops and other devices. When you manufacture in China with a quantity of millions its easy to bring the cost down.
Believe me manufacturing in USA (California) with a quantity of thousands is not easy/cheap. Also, amazon dose a good job ripping me off with each sale.
I feel like I`m in a same situation where Tesla was a year ago :) I paid 48K for my 2018 Model 3 Mid-range and 52.5K for 2019 Model 3 AWD P- (Stealth).

Reactions: New_Old_Stock
Great implementation!
Thanks for making it available in Canada as well.
I agree that at $15 this is a no-brainer, but at $30 it's beyond my threshold.

I hope you make some extra money for your work here though. This is one of those things that should almost be standard with the car, since it feels like we are working around a design oversight with the cars (2 USB ports for charging phones AND dashcam/sentry).
Could be one of those accessories that every new owner is advised to buy.

If you have any coupon codes or want any winter feedback/testing in colder climates, feel free to send me a PM.

I'm using a TapTes wireless charger (2 USB ports) along with a MicroSD card reader via a cheap Y-splitter.
I accepted that the second charger slot would be slower charging so I have to keep a wired charger dangling around in the rear USB ports for those times when the passenger needs a faster charge.
Thank you for the support!
I wish I could price it 15$ but us I said in my previews post the manufacturing cost is high.The tooling cost and the processes are the same if you make single unit or 100K units. If this device sales good then I can order larger batch and negotiate a better price with a manufacture.
Also, Amazon takes a big chunk from each sale.
Hope this spreads a light on pricing structure that I have used.

Thanks!

Reactions: New_Old_Stock
Hi all,

I did some testing with Samsung T5 SSD (1TB) and wanted to share it.

Fist I would like to note that Tesla Model 3 front USB ports are USB 2.0 (see the connector picture below). Samsung T5 on a USB 2.0 port averages around 40MB/s write speed and consumes around 250mA . While idling it uses around 32mA.
I can confirmed that it works with Navak Splitter since Data port can output up to 400mA
. Model3_USB_1.jpg T5_hubM3_write.jpg T5_direct_write.jpg T5_direct_idling.jpg

Thank you for the support!
I wish I could price it 15$ but us I said in my previews post the manufacturing cost is high.The tooling cost and the processes are the same if you make single unit or 100K units. If this device sales good then I can order larger batch and negotiate a better price with a manufacture.
Also, Amazon takes a big chunk from each sale.
Hope this spreads a light on pricing structure that I have used.

Thanks!

Completely understandable.
If there is any way to order through you directly and have it shipped to Canada I would do that.
Again, best of luck!

Reactions: Navak
https://amzn.com/B07Z2KQ719

15% off coupons for the forum members:

NDDR-QRZLTX-GA38AU
ND4N-VBF63L-ZNLYAR
ND2Z-88VCU7-78WZA3
NDPK-N7SAU6-CTLZAG
NDMQ-8EFTVL-H43KAM
NDDL-4LGJMR-PQAJAJ
NDAQ-JTW8RC-LFJ3AJ
NDBL-FWEKRV-QSL5A3
ND8G-M8NXJX-NJE2AZ
ND9J-QPFARM-2ZYTAZ
NDCP-8D7S2B-JFK8AP
NDP6-UJYSX2-UCMCA8
NDFZ-EC7D66-SLQHAW
NDXZ-KZ54Q2-3FWPAC
ND74-H3H2HA-7GYWAQ
ND78-ZNTCBE-6MVTAF
NDWK-TWHX2U-WPCXAC
NDSH-NNCGJX-D5KQAE
ND6J-T439EB-VX2AA4
NDRK-MYEP2T-4B7SAX

when you check out, enter the promotional code and click the Apply button.

Reactions: turns2stone