Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Custom USB splitter solution for M3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know that you have gone into production with this, but wouldn't it be smarter to have one data and 2 power ports. This is my thinking, most people will have the wireless or wired connector, they usually come with 2 plugs to them. your device would power both and then also use the data for sentry/music

Sorry for coming with this so late :)

Hi, thanks for the input. Having more than one plug for charging is not a problem. The problem is total power budget.
If you don`t need full speed charging than any of-the-shelf USB hub will do the job.

Actually this plug charges just as fast as my home charger. Currently, I'm using a wireless charger in the car with this and it works great.

Home chargers vary quite a bit in power output. The stock iPhone 11 (non-pro) still only comes with a 5w charger.

There are other chargers that offer 10w. And there are power delivery chargers that offer 18w.

With this hub, you’re probably pulling 5w into your wireless charger. Since wireless charging is even less efficient than a hard wire plug, it would charge even slower than a 5w plug.

I don’t know how people can charge with 5w chargers these days. Hope you’re not doing the same.

I don’t know how people can charge with 5w chargers these days.

I don't know how people need fast chargers in cars :)

Generally I charge my phone overnight, or through the day at work- so I don't really care how fast it charges either place as it'll be plugged in for hours either way... so if I'm in the car it's generally not low to begin with since I'm almost certainly been at home or work fairly recently.

So the fact the charging plugs in my car are running through a USB hub (meaning they're only getting about 4.5 watts max) doesn't make much difference since the only time I ever need to plug into em anyway is on a road trip, where I'm getting into the car with a charged phone (from work or home) and just need it to not drain further if using the phone for streaming something or routing or whatever.

I don't know how people need fast chargers in cars :)

Generally I charge my phone overnight, or through the day at work- so I don't really care how fast it charges either place as it'll be plugged in for hours either way... so if I'm in the car it's generally not low to begin with since I'm almost certainly been at home or work fairly recently.

So the fact the charging plugs in my car are running through a USB hub (meaning they're only getting about 4.5 watts max) doesn't make much difference since the only time I ever need to plug into em anyway is on a road trip, where I'm getting into the car with a charged phone (from work or home) and just need it to not drain further if using the phone for streaming something or routing or whatever.

...until you forget to plug it in overnight or at work and also need to use nav on it.

...or you're out for the day and using it a lot, and then you want to charge it up a bit while in-between destinations so you can use it freely again when you get out of the car.

there are plenty of valid use cases...but hey, it works for you, so that must mean it's good enough for everyone.

Im no scientist, but im telling you, this USB plug with my wireless charge pad charges pretty fast. Since your local to me I would be glad to demonstrate it for you, since your a non-believer.

"pretty fast" in this case is a subjective term...if you are always using a slower charger and have never charged via QC or PD or something like OnePlus dash charge, then it may seem "fast" to you even though it's actually slow to anyone else that uses one of those faster charging standards on a regular basis.

...until you forget to plug it in overnight or at work and also need to use nav on it.

I've had cell phones since 1999 and this has never happened... charger is on my night stand, I plug it in when I set my alarm (phone is also my alarm clock)

...or you're out for the day and using it a lot

Not sure what phone you've got? I'm on an iphone X- even when I've used it quite a lot, including for nav and music, and lots of pictures, all day on vacation, I never have an issue with low charge before the end of a single day- no matter how slow the car charger is.... then I plug it back in that night bedside.

I guess if you're on some value phone with a tiny battery, or even a premium one with a very old/worn out battery, that'd be a significant concern though?

If it's that big a deal you really should just charge via the 12v port in the center console which will provide a lot faster charging than anything in the USB ports, even directly plugged in.

(also I consider it a design failure Tesla didn't put the 12v in the front area near the USB ports since it makes a ton more sense you'd want it there for anything like dash cams, radar detectors, or even fast chargers... not sure WTF they expect you'd instead prefer to put in the console box plugged into a 12v?)

I've had cell phones since 1999 and this has never happened... charger is on my night stand, I plug it in when I set my alarm (phone is also my alarm clock)

really? not a single time in 20 years have you ever forgotten to plug it in? not once?

that's statistically highly unlikely. not impossible, just unlikely.

Not sure what phone you've got? I'm on an iphone X- even when I've used it quite a lot, including for nav and music, and lots of pictures, all day on vacation, I never have an issue with low charge before the end of a single day- no matter how slow the car charger is.... then I plug it back in that night bedside.

well then, there it is again. it works for me, therefore it must be good enough for everyone.

i don't understand the "it works for me, so there's no need to give anyone else other options" mentality of so many people today.

If it's that big a deal you really should just charge via the 12v port in the center console which will provide a lot faster charging than anything in the USB ports, even directly plugged in.

agree, but then you can't use it for nav if you also need to get a quick charge. that's the point.

Image_4.jpg Image_3.jpg Image_2.jpg Image_1.jpg

really? not a single time in 20 years have you ever forgotten to plug it in? not once?

that's statistically highly unlikely. not impossible, just unlikely.

And yet- true.

Again- the phone is also my alarm clock- so by default I always interact with it prior to going to sleep- if it needs a charge it gets plugged in when I set the alarm. Pretty simple, and highly effective, system.

There were certainly some days I chose NOT to plug it in because it hadn't seen much use and (since at least the iphone 6) Plus) the larger apple batteries can easily go more than a day with light use- in those cases I'd have plugged in when I got to work if needed instead.

well then, there it is again. it works for me, therefore it must be good enough for everyone.

As I said- if your phone has some kinda tiny or defective battery where it dies after just a few hours- my suggestions won't work.

If you have a modern decent sized one then charging at night before sleep (and at work if needed) should, indeed, insure everyone who does that has way more than enough charge to not need to charge in the car at least on work days.

On non-work days, the overnight charging still leaves you with a 100% charged phone in the morning... and if you're using even a "slow" car charger you can keep it that way on a road trip or weekend outing easily enough... (if you're on a non-work day and you don't have access to the car- well- not sure how a faster car charger helps there :p)

i don't understand the "it works for me, so there's no need to give anyone else other options" mentality of so many people today.

Suggesting folks get in the habit of charging overnight is another option compared to "spend a bunch for a marginally faster car charger" of course...

agree, but then you can't use it for nav if you also need to get a quick charge. that's the point.

Sure you can. Use a longer cable to the center console.

Or just run a wire along the side of the console under the trim piece to the front area- numerous videos showing how easy that is to do.

If you really are some kinda weird edge case where overnight and work charging and a "normal" speed car charger still leaves you with a dead phone battery then this seems like your best choice to get the fastest charging possible.

See? Another option :)

spend a bunch for a marginally faster car charger" of course...

You can make your own wireless charger using parts available on Amazon for under $20, or buy the taptes mat for around $40. Didn't realize that was spending a bunch. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Also, I love the internet where people rate a post that is factually accurate as "disagree." Good times...lol

Hi all,

After using the USB Y-cable splitter for a while I wasn’t happy with 500mA charging current limitation and started to look for the USB splitter/hub that can output more than 500mA. Surprisingly, I didn’t find anything on the market.

A few weeks back I started designing one (I'm a hardware engineer) and thought I'd share my solution:

Tiny device plugs to M3 front USB port and splits the power and data in to two USB connectors (charger port and data port).

Charger port has a charging port controller chip. It will recognize the connected device and output maximum charging current (limited to 2.1A by the design).

The data lines connected straight to the second USB connector for Flash drives only (Sentry Mode/Music). It has at least 100mA current left on it, which is more than enough to run the flash drive.

Would like to get your feedback on this.

View attachment 426051 View attachment 426052

EDIT - forum took me to the first page and didn't realize how old this thread is. Same comments though applies to initial post.

Is there a reason that the 12v socket was avoided? That could provide several USB ports, and the data lines are not needed for most of the devices. I think the most important thing is to customize the product for the Model 3 to make it look like it is a part of the car.

USB Hub with car charger
https://www.amazon.com/Charger-Mult...b+hub+12v&qid=1572053601&s=electronics&sr=1-3

90W 16 Ports Hub (12v DC) w/ data
https://www.amazon.com/Powered-USB-...+hub+12v&qid=1572053522&s=electronics&sr=1-13

The big deal with these devices is that they don't match the "look and feel" of the Model 3 and can't be secured for driving and usage.

Last edited: