Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybertruck as a daily driver?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Like many of you I've reserved a Cybertruck since it seems to tick a lot of check boxes on what I want in a vehicle. My daily driver is a Model X and the largest vehicle I've driven is probably and old Ford Aerostar Extended (190"L x 72"w x 74h) or an '84 Grand Marquis (212"L x 78.3"w x 56.3"h).

The proposed dimensions for the Cybertruck are 231.7"L x 79.8"w x 75"h. For those of you who have driven a truck about this size, how practical is it for daily driving? Do you have issues with turning radius and parking? Do lanes feel tight? Is there more road noise from truck tires? Is the ride in general comfortable for a daily driver?

My Model X chews through tires, almost needing new tires every year. With the tri-motor putting down a faster 0-60 and weight most likely increasing from the Model X, am I going to be continuing with my annual tire purchase or will truck tires last longer?

From someone who owned a truck once in his life (solely for the purpose of towing a track car), I can tell you that a full size truck is a full size truck. It will feel big, will be harder to park, and will is noisier depending on how well the production tires are engineered and how well road noise is blocked from the cabin.

I personally am used to small to midsize sedans, so driving even a small SUV feels like a boat to me. If you currently drive an X, this won't be as large of a leap for you.

A lot depends on where you live. It would be a struggle to have a full size truck where I used to live in the SF Bay Area (parking the Model S was often a challenge). But here in OK there is much more space in general. Parking spaces are wider, parking lot lanes are wider, etc. Parking my Roadster here is hysterical, the spaces are so large. Idk where Michigan falls into this phenomenon.

Trucks today are very comfortable. TONS of people around here use a truck as their daily driver and family hauler. Modern crew cabs could even be said to be more comfortable than a luxury sedan due to greater headroom and taller seats (so your legs are more like sitting in a regular chair than being splayed out before you.

Off road tires are very noisy. But they make truck-sized road tires that are as quiet as car tires. In my experience, the S/X tire eating is because of the massive tire camber (to combat lift-throttle oversteer) and tint sidewalls. It has little to do w/ performance. With a much taller sidewall in the truck you will not have the tire wear like you do in the MX with its tiny sidewalls. We even noticed a huge difference from the 21" wheels on our P85 to the 19" on our 100D. The truck sidewalls will be taller still.

Turning radius? If you could dock a '84 Grand Marquis, you can drive anything :)

My old 2013 Model S's extended warranty runs out in early 2021 (8 years of ownership), so I'm thinking ahead of what I'll drive as my daily driver then. Will I keep the S a little longer till it dies, but repairs will be costly when needed. This is the next new Tesla and looks freakin awesome, and it may be fun to drive a tank. It fills all the boxes of range and passengers as well. It will also fit in my carport, if I haul some crap out of there, but hey it's a truck, so that should help haul - eh? I'm a little worried about road noise on t hose knobby tires, so if the option for quiet tires exists, I'll take it. I don't plan on off-roading much. I think it'll work well as a daily driver, and should make the winter rain / snow commute feel safer. I might miss the S a bit though.... Maybe the wife'll take it?

I have a RAM Rebel as a daily drive, and I enjoy it very much. It has 4 corner air-suspension, rides almost as smooth as my Mercedes S550e and corners flat. The interior is luxurious, big comfortable seats, and lots of room. It can go anywhere, and carry anything I throw on it.

I look forward to have the Cybertruck as my daily drive.

Like many of you I've reserved a Cybertruck since it seems to tick a lot of check boxes on what I want in a vehicle. My daily driver is a Model X and the largest vehicle I've driven is probably and old Ford Aerostar Extended (190"L x 72"w x 74h) or an '84 Grand Marquis (212"L x 78.3"w x 56.3"h).

The proposed dimensions for the Cybertruck are 231.7"L x 79.8"w x 75"h. For those of you who have driven a truck about this size, how practical is it for daily driving? Do you have issues with turning radius and parking? Do lanes feel tight? Is there more road noise from truck tires? Is the ride in general comfortable for a daily driver?

My Model X chews through tires, almost needing new tires every year. With the tri-motor putting down a faster 0-60 and weight most likely increasing from the Model X, am I going to be continuing with my annual tire purchase or will truck tires last longer?

The dimensions are very similar to a Ford F-150 the most sold vehicle in the US. I see dozens of people commuting to work, going to the mall, picking up at school, etc in F-150s. So I think the CyberTruck will just fine for everyday tasks.

I find myself looking at F150s more on my daily commute and there are a ton of them here in Michigan. Specifically the Cybertruck is equal in size to the F150 Supercab 6.5 styleside. I can't say I know enough about F150s to be able to identify that specific configuration but it seems like many of the trucks I see on the road have a the shorter bed.

I find myself looking at F150s more on my daily commute and there are a ton of them here in Michigan. Specifically the Cybertruck is equal in size to the F150 Supercab 6.5 styleside. I can't say I know enough about F150s to be able to identify that specific configuration but it seems like many of the trucks I see on the road have a the shorter bed.
Just look for the ones that have 4 full-sized doors. Those will nearly always be w/ the 5.5' or 6.5' bed. You will know if it's an 8' bed - those things are cartoonishly long. Very few of those on the road. Contractors that need to haul long timber, pipes, etc will put a metal frame in the bed that lets them haul those things over the top of the cab. They would rather be able to take the whole crew in one vehicle than be able to put 4x8 sheets of plywood in the bed.

I use to have my 2010 Tundra as a daily driver before our Teslas. I live in the suburbs, so it is easy to maneuver and park, but in the city I have to watch out for limited height parkades with my 3 inch level and bigger tires.

After driving my Tundra, my Model 3 feels like a gocart or toy. My wife and kids love the room in the crewcab compared to our Model X.

A crewcab 1/2 ton truck can be luxurious as any premium sedan and cost just as much. Price out a Chevy Silverado Denali or a Limited F150 and you’ll be surprised at how quickly the options add up.

Reactions: Obsoletion
Yes. I plan on using the CT as a daily driver.
My wife already uses a Model S as one, so why not use the CT as one as well? I opted for the dual motor, so 300 miles of range is more than sufficient, and the size is within the dimensions of an F-150, so yeah.. daily driver it will be :)

Reactions: Obsoletion
I currently drive a Fiat 500 as my daily commuter. Gets me where I need to go and I love it. I once packed it full of camping gear and my wife and I camped across the US for 4 weeks from the Grand Canyon to the coast of Maine. It was a tight ride, but it was a blast.

Now with a child, I need to consider more accessible seating. I still want something efficient, but room to move and haul furniture and garden supplies would be nice.

A Cybertruck satisfies everything in looking for. Larger room for a growing family, fuel (energy) efficiency for commuting, utility of a truck, the option to pack camping gear and going on an adventure. A truck used for truck things will inevitably get beat up and damaged, but made of stainless steel and I won't feel paranoid of dents and scratches.

My thought is I would need a fuel efficient commuter and a truck and a family toter. Or just one Cybertruck.

This is one if the key reasons I think CT will be very successful. My plan is to replace both my model3 and my K2500 suburban with one of these. Finally a vehicle that can pull my Airstream but also be a reasonable commute vehicle. Looking forward to getting that garage space back. I am currently paying just under 2 cents a mile in electricity for the model3. Even if CT doubles that, it is way better than my truck which cost me 27 cents per mile.