Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybertruck bed is slotted - a boon for DIYers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Nocturnal

Supporting Member
Aug 23, 2018
Deepening Crisis!
Something that hasn't been mentioned much are the built in slots in the bed itself. I'm assuming this will be compatible with standard T-slot hardware like you would find with 80/20 type construction.

If that's the case then it will be extremely easy to build your own add-ons for all sorts of purposes. Slide out loading, camping, bike racks, etc. I used 80/20 quite a bit in projects and it's amazingly versatile.

Random 80/20 structure for example.
thB102V0S2.jpg

bedslide-s-hero.jpg

Oh man, great idea!! This would make customizing the Cybertruck for various contractors' needs so much more useful too! Imagine custom bed kits for windshield companies, glass companies, landscapers, toy haulers, hunters, various sports, the list goes on and on...

Great examples. People keep saying plumbers cannot use it for work because they need a rack for pipes and such. Looks like they could build a rack with a few of the sections show in the picture.

Even better, since the back middle seat opens to the trunk there's even MORE space for pipes and longer items! Having an attachment made to best utilize that would be super helpful.

• Love
Reactions: Nocturnal
Something that hasn't been mentioned much are the built in slots in the bed itself. I'm assuming this will be compatible with standard T-slot hardware like you would find with 80/20 type construction.

If that's the case then it will be extremely easy to build your own add-ons for all sorts of purposes. Slide out loading, camping, bike racks, etc. I used 80/20 quite a bit in projects and it's amazingly versatile.

Random 80/20 structure for example.
View attachment 481571

View attachment 481572

truck-bed.jpg
slide-out-kitchen-truck.jpg
chuckWagon-MGS1.jpg

Even better, since the back middle seat opens to the trunk there's even MORE space for pipes and longer items! Having an attachment made to best utilize that would be super helpful.

Wow! I did not know you could get to the bed from the inside. That opening would be very useful for a plumber. Assuming the pipe would fit, they could roll down the bed cover and have tools and materials under lock and key. And given the price of tools and copper pipes that is a good idea.

Yes, perfect examples. Those all require bolting those wracks to the bed or frame right? If the Camper stuff isn't ready yet I'll definitely be building my own system.

Most of the contractor work trucks I see have vinyl seats. Will Tesla have a vinyl floor and seat option
I have to imagine they will offer something aside from the vegan leather. Maybe something really cool like Kevlar. (probably way too expensive but along those lines)

Yes, perfect examples. Those all require bolting those wracks to the bed or frame right? If the Camper stuff isn't ready yet I'll definitely be building my own system.

I have to imagine they will offer something aside from the vegan leather. Maybe something really cool like Kevlar. (probably way too expensive but along those lines)

by viewing the slots in the bed, I'm guessing you would use t-slots and eyebolts..
eyebolt.jpg
eyebolt.jpg
t-slot.jpg

This thing can't get here soon enough. All my kids' skiis will live in the bed full time in the winter. Can hit the slopes and not worry about the inevitable dings from people swinging their gear around in the parking lot. Preheat the cabin from the top of a hill and relax as AP takes me me most of the way home. Wish they'd see these 250k reservations as a sign to get this thing pushed up!