Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybertruck is a scam.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Part of the problem is Tesla always wants to be the "Fastest production XX" which is fine when a sedan or CUV can also get decent range.

With Trucks, "The Fastest" means jack. They could have added that range extender to the Frunk since it's pretty much useless. I mean these people are smart, it's like the range extender was an afterthought after they found out their "aerodynamic" design wasn't going to net any type of range improvement over the Lightning "Brick"
That and the piss poor performance of the current generation 4680 cells. No where near what was advertised on battery day - yet they put (sh)it in the early trucks anyway. Why? Because there’s an Elon C-suck around every corner that will pay $120 for these early bastards.

That and the piss poor performance of the current generation 4680 cells. No where near what was advertised on battery day - yet they put (sh)it in the early trucks anyway. Why? Because there’s an Elon C-suck around every corner that will pay $120 for these early bastards.
4680 never made sense to me anyways from a marketing perspective... they sold them briefly in Texas made Model Ys ... in the version where you get *less* range and which sold at a *discount*. that hardly screams SUPERIOR battery from a customer perspective.

if it doesn't charge faster or makes the vehicle go farther... why would I care as a consumer for the 4680 (?) ... unless it's sold at a discount versus the other battery type...

now dropping that battery type into a $100k+ truck... bold move...

4680 never made sense to me anyways from a marketing perspective... they sold them briefly in Texas made Model Ys ... in the version where you get *less* range and which sold at a *discount*. that hardly screams SUPERIOR battery from a customer perspective.

if it doesn't charge faster or makes the vehicle go farther... why would I care as a consumer for the 4680 (?) ... unless it's sold at a discount versus the other battery type...

now dropping that battery type into a $100k+ truck... bold move...
Right. My wife has one of those bastard model Y AWDs. In addition to poor capacity, these 4680 pack charge way slower than the 2170, or gold standard - 18650.

Yeah, they pushed this (sh)it out because they know there is a sucker born every second.

Right. My wife has one of those bastard model Y AWDs. In addition to poor capacity, these 4680 pack charge way slower than the 2170, or gold standard - 18650.

Yeah, they pushed this (sh)it out because they know there is a sucker born every second.

even on battery day the thing i took away was that they are CHEAPER for Tesla to produce (and customer can expect more range and lower prices in return).

well ... the more range claim didn't pan out and neither did the cheaper part

at the end of the day... the end consumer couldn't care less what specific battery design is used as long as they deliver great charging performance and range at an acceptable price.

Yes they are. If you watch all of the videos from last week you will see over and over again that the model y's are now all casted. Casted model y's only have the 4680 battery packs. Tesla doesn't make a non-4680 structural battery pack per the Tesla engineers.
I think you're confusing/conflating two things here. You're assuming that Gigatexas only produces MY's with structural 4680 packs - this is not true. Gigatexas has multiple MY lines - one of which was producing, for a time, 4680 MY AWD models - which used a 4680 structural battery pack as you're saying here. This line was taken offline in September 2023 since the Gen 1 4680 production battery line was also taken offline at that same time - once the Gen 2 4680 Cybercell line was built and started produced Gen 2 4680 Cybercells with enough volume to support initial CT production. The original Gen 1 line is being upgraded to produce Gen 2 Cybercells, along with lines 3 and 4 also being built out in H1 2024, with lines 5-8 predicted to come online H2 2024.

However, what you're missing here is that Gigatexas also produces MY LRs that have always used the 2170 packs as well - i.e. they have been building casted MY LRs all along as well - the fact that there are front and rear castings in videos means nothing - these are used whether it's a structural pack or a non-structural pack in other words. How do I know this? Plenty of MY LR VINs out there with "A" in them, meaning it's built in Austin - a close friend of mine took delivery of his MY LR a few weeks after I did in Mar/Apr 2023 - ours was from Fremont, his was from Austin. The MY LR has always used 2170 packs - regardless of the manufacturing location across the globe.

The MY AWD 4680 based pack that you're referring to - only ever had 269 EPA estimated miles - and was it's own dedicated model called the MY AWD that was short lived. All MY LR's have 330 (now 310) EPA estimated miles. Now there's a MY RWD - that AFAIK also uses 2170 packs with a single rear PM motor. I have no doubt that eventually we will see TX based MYs again start using 4680 packs - it's simply a matter of time as Tesla scales up 4680 production in 2024 and 2025. But for now, they are dedicating all 4680 production to the CT line only according to multiple reputable sources. Out of Spec was the latest source to state this in the long form CT review.

Latest plot of RNs that have been invited and ordered CTs over at CTOC

1704940995801.png

1704941026272.png

Man... I feel your pain on the cheaper 4680s. But I just watched the Munro on how the structural pack works, it's super cool engineering. Just wish they had taken the time and/or focused more getting the energy density and charging performance to at least where 2170s are.

Still seems like the 18650s are the gold standard for performance...

Last edited:
Man... I feel your pain on the cheaper 4680s. But I just watched the Munro on how the structural pack works, it's super cool engineering. Just wish they had taken the time and/or focused more getting the energy density and charging performance to at least where 2170s are.

100%

from a end consumer perspective - what are the advantages of having 4680s over 2170s ?

hint: simplified manufacturing / casted parts doesn't count when the vehicle goes for six figures.... they aren't exactly passing on cost savings...

The Gen2 4680 Cybercells are in the same density range as the 2170s in the MY/M3 are now - right around 270wh/kg in other words (IIRC it's actually 269wh/kg but close enough). The Gen1 4680 cells only had around 246wh/kg in comparison. So Tesla is making some progress - but it's definitely going more slowly than they had hoped without a doubt. Hopefully the changes to the battery chemistry that were recently leaked hold some water - i.e. going from NMC811 to NMC955 or NMC973. Only time will tell though. I'm assuming the 2170 packs use the same NMC955 chemistry - but am not certain. If so, then I'd expect the same chemistry changes to be integrated into the 2170 cells at some point as well by Panasonic - which may also boost up wh/kg density for the 2170 cells in a similar manner. That said, I'd surmise that eventually almost all Tesla vehicles would use 4680 cells once the gremlins are resolved and production volume ramp is accomplished.

also only applicable to the CyberBeast which is $$$. the more mundane Cybertruck AWD does 0-60 just as fast as... a 2yr old F150 Lightning AWD...

The Lightning is actually 0.2 seconds faster…. lol…

I can’t post a link to the CT forums or the pic of a customer who just took delivery.

There is a huge and I mean huge panel gap on the bed. Tesla should be ashamed of delivering a $100k + Vehicle to a customer with this big ass panel gap. If you head over there check it out, Post #118 smh

Interesting analysis of the infamous CT towing/Porsche race. The race was impressive but sad they felt so desperate they needed to lie about it.

This is that BS I keep talking about... it's irrefutable that Tesla actively and regularly lies in its marketing and the FTC really needs to crack down...

Munro is a shill. He's a consultant. He's not going to say anything Elon wouldn't want him to say.