Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybertruck launch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You don’t get it, do you @Pants. All of Elons presentations are scripted to have the Hollywood high moments. Of course, that was a planned one including what they did it this time using baseball. It is part of larger script of ‘product remembrance’. Do you remember a product called EQE SUV that was launched by Merc. You don’t and it cost £30000 more than Cybertruck and no one will remember that.
lol man, how blinkered do you have to be to actually believe this.

Elon touted the glass as being able to resist a steel ball being thrown at it, and then it failed on both attempts to do so. Are you seriously suggesting that this was some kind of in joke or something? That it's actually a masterstroke to show your product failing at something you said it could do?

In the "delivery event" they threw a baseball at it with the softest of throws. There's even some debate as to whether it was actually a baseball given how high it bounced afterwards.

Pretty much all of the commentary - even on pro-Tesla subreddits like /r/teslamotors, /r/cybertruck was that the event was a mess and a disappointment to those who had been waiting for more info. The prices (which are still estimates) are all significantly higher than promised, the ranges are significantly lower than promised, etc.

Staggering credulity really.

There are those few customers that this needs to be said to. Not all customers are right.
No, but I don't think it's unreasonable for customers to believe something they are told.

If they're told back in 2019 that it's going to pull X of load and travel for Y miles, and cost Z, then they can be forgiven for believing that. The alternative is what? That Tesla/Elon just makes these numbers up?

I can understand why Cybertruck depositors might be a bit annoyed or feel let down after the "reveal". Everything about it is worse than what they were told it was going to be - less range, less load carrying/pulling, higher prices. Obviously inflation plays a part, but not to the extent of the price jumps we've seen. And let's not forget these prices and the availability are still estimates, 4 years on from them taking $100 in deposits. And you still can't order it, but you can give Tesla another $250 for an indeterminate amount of time, and possibly end up no further ahead than anyone who orders on the website when it becomes available to order.

But clearly some people think all these calamitous fails are actually PR masterstrokes. It's actualy genius to show your product failures, and to fail to mass produce something on schedule, the lamestream media just don't get it. Elon is playing 5D chess, etc.

Reactions: mspohr
Meanwhile back on planet earth…

View attachment 995194

Screenshot 2023-12-01 at 7.35.20 AM.png

"We'll start with trucking.. is it a good truck? Yes, it is a good one. I especially like the lockable load area in the back. it does truck things well".

Video features zero trucking footage at all, no commentary he actually tried hauling or towing anything. He doesn't even go off road in it, just talks about the UI options for it. He just credulously reports that the engineers told him that it would monster Baja, so that's good enough. 👍

Sounds like he was pretty awed by it, which I can get because it's very unconventional. It will sell, but I would be surprised if it seriously competes with the likes of Ford, Rivian, etc, especially since in 6 months they've only managed to make about 10 of them.

Will be interesting to hear about some actual end user experiences.

I watched Marques' review and he has some good feedback. Lots of pluses and a few negatives. His turning radius comparison to the F150EV was curious as the Ford appeared to turn sharper.

For me, the single wiper is a shortcut unsafe solution. He says the passenger's view might be limited to 75%. More importantly, the driver's view is limited.

Screenshot 2023-12-01 083014.png

Reactions: Durzel and Darmie
It seems that the reaction to the Cybertruck launch is mostly negative. I'm not a truck person and have never really considered getting one, but I actually kind of like the design. Maybe because I didn't pay attention during the 2019 launch, the specs just published yesterday didn't seem that bad to me, but also nothing special. However, I just watched a video put out by Hagerty on Youtube with the CyberBeast and I am now impressed to the point that I would actually consider one in a few years when it's readily available and costs less. Better yet, hopefully all the tech from the Cybertruck trickles down to another Tesla that's fits my lifestyle more than a truck.

If you haven't seen it, I'd recommend watching the Hagerty video. I found it really interesting and it really highlights why this thing is different besides just the appearance.

It seems that the reaction to the Cybertruck launch is mostly negative. I'm not a truck person and have never really considered getting one, but I actually kind of like the design. Maybe because I didn't pay attention during the 2019 launch, the specs just published yesterday didn't seem that bad to me, but also nothing special. However, I just watched a video put out by Hagerty on Youtube with the CyberBeast and I am now impressed to the point that I would actually consider one in a few years when it's readily available and costs less. Better yet, hopefully all the tech from the Cybertruck trickles down to another Tesla that's fits my lifestyle more than a truck.

If you haven't seen it, I'd recommend watching the Hagerty video. I found it really interesting and it really highlights why this thing is different besides just the appearance.
To each....

I understand, Steve Jobs is for the 60s generation and Elon for the 2K kids.

What now?
, but what they showed smashed everything out of the park.

Smashed? Really? Look at all the headlines:
and the list goes on and one.

Oh, and how about this? Yeah, Elon sure crushed the stock price:
1701447041700.png

A great example for modern advertising, launch or delivery whatever you call it.

I don't know what world you live on, but this is not the consensus. It was a DISASTROUS FLOP. At least with the CT reveal the glass breaking turned into a massive PR gold mine and lots of fun memes. You can't plan that kind of thing.

Do you actually believe richest man on the planet earth and a trillion dollar company execs didn’t rehearse throwing a steel ball at the window of cybertruck prior to the launch? I don’t - it wasn’t a mishap - it was staged.

Oh please -- they showed the video of Franz in rehearsals throwing the steel ball and it not breaking the glass. Elon's immediate reaction "OH F**K" was not staged.

Either you're the world's biggest Tesla troll, or you're completely delirious from inhaling Elon's Musk.

What now?

Smashed? Really? Look at all the headlines:
and the list goes on and one.

Oh, and how about this? Yeah, Elon sure crushed the stock price:
View attachment 995468

I don't know what world you live on, but this is not the consensus. It was a DISASTROUS FLOP. At least with the CT reveal the glass breaking turned into a massive PR gold mine and lots of fun memes. You can't plan that kind of thing.

Oh please -- they showed the video of Franz in rehearsals throwing the steel ball and it not breaking the glass. Elon's immediate reaction "OH F**K" was not staged.

Either you're the world's biggest Tesla troll, or you're completely delirious from inhaling Elon's Musk.
FBS?