Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybertruck launch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's an optional accessory.
šŸ¤£ yeah, like the range extender, bed ramps, bed compressor, light bar and everything else that was previously talked as if it were all built in and part of the vehicle. The tailgate ramp bait and switch is beyond comical - its a crying shame! šŸ¤£

Now, to give Elon credit, he did deliver that ugly behemoth wiper when he said was not going to be on the production versionā€¦ šŸ˜†

Just curiousā€¦

How would you propose Tesla design in a monstrous frunk, given the overall shape of the CyberTruck, and consistent with a goal of aerodynamic efficiency? Personally, a smallish frunk is a non-issue, given all the other storage locations.
like what?

unlike Ford or Rivian the Cybertruck doesn't have a spare tire under the truck or under the bed... so if you need to carry a spare (highly recommend given the proprietary Cybertruck tire and the headache it will be to find one on the road if you need one) - that spare tire strapped into the bed will take up substantial bed space. As you said the frunk is tiny ... and the cab has no tunnel like the Rivian and sorry... folding up the backbench only works if you only have 2 people in the truck....

šŸ¤£ yeah, like the range extender, bed ramps, bed compressor, light bar and everything else that was previously talked as if it were all built in and part of the vehicle. The tailgate ramp bait and switch is beyond comical - its a crying shame! šŸ¤£

Now, to give Elon credit, he did deliver that ugly behemoth wiper when he said was not going to be on the production versionā€¦ šŸ˜†
don't forget the spare tire... standard with Ford and Rivian (and it goes under the truck or under the bed) ... but $1,200 extra with the Cybertruck - and - you have to strap it into the bed and lose even more storage space there

Also the glass was cracked during the shooting due to two buckshot in the same spot (went through). I guess they kept the windows down to see if they would crack. They posted a full video. Anyway not a big deal either way. The steel is definitely tough but it obviously can be dented.
View attachment 996338
Per the two chief engineers on the Top Gear video - the CT is not bulletproof, it's "bullet resistant". They openly said the 3mm SS will only stop subsonic rounds. That's why they used an old Tommy gun that fires subsonic 45 caliber rounds, and a 9mm that was loaded with subsonic rounds. That's a nice way of saying those videos are click-bait for the fanboy base basically. They literally said all of this directly in the video, that any supersonic round will penetrate the steel. Newsflash, many pistols and almost every rifle in existence fire supersonic rounds with higher muzzle velocities these days. Any version of the AR-15 with 223/556 rounds, with muzzle velocities ranging from 2500-4000fps leaving the barrel, would turn the CT into swiss cheese in other words.

Per the two chief engineers on the Top Gear video - the CT is not bulletproof, it's "bullet resistant". They openly said the 3mm SS will only stop subsonic rounds. That's why they used an old Tommy gun that fires subsonic 45 caliber rounds, and a 9mm that was loaded with subsonic rounds. That's a nice way of saying those videos are click-bait for the fanboy base basically. They literally said all of this directly in the video, that any supersonic round will penetrate the steel. Newsflash, many pistols and almost every rifle in existence fire supersonic rounds with higher muzzle velocities these days. Any version of the AR-15 with 223/556 rounds, with muzzle velocities ranging from 2500-4000fps leaving the barrel, would turn the CT into swiss cheese in other words.

is that true ? if so... that's even more misleading than they originally claimed at delivery event.... because 9mm as standard load is supersonic (!) and you REALLY have to go out of your way to find subsonic 9mm rounds in stores. they ain't cheap either.

is that true ? if so... that's even more misleading than they originally claimed at delivery event.... because 9mm as standard load is supersonic (!) and you REALLY have to go out of your way to find subsonic 9mm rounds in stores. they ain't cheap either.
Listen for yourself - this is Lars and Franz on this exact topic:

BTW- that entire Top Gear video - it's worth watching - you'll learn a ton about the CT overall, lots of really good tidbits of data in this review.

• Informative
Reactions: jebinc
Yeah. This is obvious from the video. I think everyone knows this? It is not magic.

Yeah. This is obvious from the video. I think everyone knows this? It is not magic.
What's so obvious from the video? Do you see any disclaimers in these videos that they're only using subsonic rounds? I sure don't, and the CEO constantly uses the term bulletproof over and over again - even Franz used the term bulletproof in the video clip I linked to - only to have Lars correct him - likely to level set expectations so that Tesla isn't sued later down the line when making such false statements. There's the hype, and then there's the reality.

What's so obvious from the video? Do you see any disclaimers in these videos that they're only using subsonic rounds? I sure don't, and the CEO constantly uses the term bulletproof over and over again - even Franz used the term bulletproof in the video clip I linked to - only to have Lars correct him - likely to level set expectations so that Tesla isn't sued later down the line when making such false statements. There's the hype, and then there's the reality.
Thatā€™s what Charlatans doā€¦.

Last edited:
Also there is nfw that the steel is stopping any rounds that are actually moving, ie 5.56 at >2000 fps. That stuff tears up even the most durable ar500 steel targets especially when shot <100 yds. Most target grade 115gr 9mm like they were shooting in the demo clip will be subsonic (1050 fps or less) usually, but most of the defense grade +P+ stuff can get up to 1400 fps. I'd like to see a real test of different grades of ammo to see what penetrates and what doesn't, but it's not magic and I don't think it's really designed to stop too much. It's impressive what it does stop though.

I still can't believe they continued the Tesla tradition of both not including a spare and giving you no good place to put the spare.
Yeah I was disappointed with this as well. Almost every pickup out there has a full size spare - whether ICE or BEV - that doesn't take up bed space. This was a swing and a miss across the board IMHO. Proof that Tesla really has zero interest in having this vehicle appeal to anyone who tows/hauls/off-roads and needs a full size spare on the vehicle given they're often in remote areas where roadside assistance is non-existent and/or literally cannot get to their location when off-road. They care more about people being able to squeeze this thing into garages than providing pickup functionality. This thing is a princess pickup without a doubt. I think there's a good chance the CT will actually become more popular among women than men as time moves forward.

Last edited:
lol. this isn't obvious at all...

.45 ACP is subsonic by definition. hence they don't bend the truth there.
however - 9mm has been supersonic for well over 100+ years and only niche brands/ loading make the 9mm round subsonic. to be used with suppressors. nobody is going to buy a subsonic 9mm round unless they are going to use a suppressor. they are very $$$ and don't penetrate well....

the truth would have to be to claim it resists .45 acp and then leave 9mm out of it...

Also there is nfw that the steel is stopping any rounds that are actually moving, ie 5.56 at >2000 fps. That stuff tears up even the most durable ar500 especially when shot <100 yds. Most target grade 115gr 9mm like they were shooting in the demo clip will be subsonic (1050 fps or less) usually, but most of the defense grade +P+ stuff can get up to 1400 fps. I'd like to see a real test of different grades of ammo to see what penetrates and what doesn't, but it's not magic and I don't think it's really designed to stop too much. It's impressive what it does stop though.
Just watch how many reports/headlines we see down the road once these are delivered in real numbersā€¦.

ā€œFlorida manā€¦..ā€. šŸ¤£

.45 ACP is subsonic by definition. hence they don't bend the truth there.
however - 9mm has been supersonic for well over 100+ years and only niche brands/ loading make the 9mm round subsonic. to be used with suppressors. nobody is going to buy a subsonic 9mm round unless they are going to use a suppressor. they are very $$$ and don't penetrate well....

the truth would have to be to claim it resists .45 acp and then leave 9mm out of it...
Yes - but how many normal people actually know that .45ACP is subsonic? Not many people really. They see those videos along with the false claims that this thing is bulletproof from the CEO, and that's good enough for the average person. I wonder if the order agreement or warranty will actually have verbiage to offset this issue. It seems like this could be a real liability issue on some level. That's really what surprises me more than anything. In today's litigious society making claims like this can be risky IMHO.

What's so obvious from the video?

In the video published by Tesla the buckshot literally goes through the door and breaks the glass (2:30)! Another round from the 9mm I think got two tightly spaced impacts and cracked the steel. Not sure how much more obvious it can be. I think most people (even me, who knows nothing about weapons at all) understand that bullets exist that have a great deal more kinetic energy than buckshot, albeit distributed over a larger surface area.

Due to the events in this country, thereā€™s general awareness of the energy contained in high-velocity rifle ammunition. Itā€™s been very well documented.

Last edited: