Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybertruck launch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Drag racing in a truck is completely irrelevant for anyone considering these vehicles. ANY electric vehicle is going to have plenty of torque and speed for any real world use. The tractor pull, comparing to a base Porsche 911, Hummer, etc makes a good parlor trick to wow some folks, but it has zero relevance in the real world. These are not the things a truck buyer cares about.
exactly. Hauling stuff, towing. Can it do that? Who the hell cares if it’s fast.

you want to race, go to the race track.

There is more to the Cybertruck than what we've seen so far. Elon keeps saying this is their best product so there must be some amazing things happening under the hood.
If there is, he totally botched it at the launch. Let’s look at the frunk for an example. All the while he was designing the CT, Ford designed and released a truck with a hugh workable frunk. Tesla saw this, got caught with their pants down, and yet did nothing. The Ct was supposed to be the Ford killer, lol.

**c

I am told they also used a base 911 Porsche. I think it’s about 350HP. It’s not a car for acceleration records. Put them both on a track and the Cyber truck would be left far behind.
And look at the trailer they used. It appeared to be bespoke, minimalistic, aluminum. Not something the average person would tow a car on let alone a nice car. But still impressive it beat a ~3310lb 379hp 911 while towing maybe 3800lbs.

Apparently the base 2023 Porsche 911 Carrera T with 379hp does the 0-60 in about 4 seconds per Car and Driver.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: jebinc
And look at the trailer they used. It appeared to be bespoke, minimalistic, aluminum. Not something the average person would tow a car on let alone a nice car. But still impressive it beat a ~3600lb 350hp 911 while towing ~4100lbs.
They don’t get it :). 911 was done for a reason there and all the other details really doesn’t matter! This is establishment vs disruptor.

IMHO the product launch was a failure. I know that sounds bad, but in so far as a multi-billion dollar company launching what is almost assuredly a huge part of their future - and a statement product at that - 30 minutes showing two fanboy videos and then watching 10 people supposedly take delivery of their CTs (not a one drove them out personally though) - doesn't really equate to a product launch in any way, shape, or form. I've posted this same sentiment on several forums/groups and gotten lambasted for doing so, primarily by the fanboy base that worships Lord Elon from what I can tell. But if we look at how other multibillion dollar companies handle launch events - what Tesla delivered last Thursday was a joke. Little to no information on the actual product itself, and even the website details are kinda basic. No FAQs section for towing, hauling, really anything for truck people that do truck things with their vehicles - which leads me to believe that Tesla never really had any intention of selling this vehicle to blue collar workers or anyone else that wants to actually do truck things on a regular basis. That's OK, but when you stated that you'd deliver a tri-motor with up to 500 miles of range - for many reservation holders - that translated to a truck that could potentially do truck things. Granted, there were never any promises, but the road to hell is paved with good intentions so they say, and perception is reality, and a lot of reservation holders perceived that they would be able to buy a truck that could tow, and not have to lose the entire truck bed for a full size spare and a range extender. Overall if we compare the Tesla launch event to other launch events from other tech companies - because Musk has repeatedly told us Tesla is a tech company - they come up way short when compared to Apple or Microsoft or Google launch events for example. Just saying. Tesla has seemed to grow to count on the various third parties that insularly surround and enable Tesla to continue to not meet expectations by filling in the gaps - such as the various YT channels dedicated to Tesla news on a near daily basis. Problem is, outside of the insular Tesla fanboy community (of which I'm admittedly a part at least on some level), the normative automotive consumer has nowhere to go to learn about Tesla products after a launch event like this. As Tesla migrates from a disruptive start-up culture to a more mature growth minded culture - this needs to change IMHO.

Personally, I don't use my current ICE truck to tow enough that this will deter me from keeping my current dual motor reservation, and from an expectations standpoint, for those of us who reserved a dual motor, we're pretty much getting what we expected, so long as we can stomach the price differential. It's the tri-motor crew that seems to have not gotten what they were promised, at least on some level, so I get the dissatisfaction for those who feel this way.

They don’t get it :). 911 was done for a reason there and all the other details really doesn’t matter! This is establishment vs disruptor.
Lot of fudging last Thursday.... what you say above, the soft padded baseball lob, the Range being listed as just "an estimate," the completely bogus Torque math used, the pricing first appears including an assumed $7500 federal rebate AND gas $$$ saved, many costly "add ons" needed to get it close to what what shown and discussed for the past four years by the Great Elon (aka The Great Charlatan) himself, etc., etc. The list of manipulation is long - and many fell for it hook, line and sinker.

No FAQs section for towing, hauling, really anything for truck people that do truck things with their vehicles - which leads me to believe that Tesla never really had any intention of selling this vehicle to blue collar workers or anyone else that wants to actually do truck things on a regular basis.

Something like 75% of pickup truck owners use their trucks for towing once a year. And around 70% go off-roading once a year. The vast majority of truck owners don't really use the "truck" features of their vehicles very often -> it always seemed to me Tesla was playing to that crowd. People who want to be seen (or heard, as we've experienced with previous automobiles) in the latest & weirdest. There is no shortage of insecure men in this country who will spend boatloads of money overcompensating, if you catch my drift.

For the ~25-30% of truck owners who actually use their trucks for work and such, yeah, I don't think based on the pricing the CT is going to be very compelling. I'm not a truck guy, so I do think the market will bear that out and I very well could be wrong.

It seemed like the CT is more of an Instagram vehicle that happens to have some things that trucks can do, but it doesn't really do "trucking" well, if that makes sense. Also, almost all the other truck manufacturers have multiple models that fit different needs -> heavy duty, light duty, etc. etc. The CT might be trying too hard to fill all those categories.

Let’s look at the frunk for an example. All the while he was designing the CT, Ford designed and released a truck with a hugh workable frunk. Tesla saw this, got caught with their pants down, and yet did nothing. The Ct was supposed to be the Ford killer, lol.
To be fair…

The Ford’s frunk is a vestige of a truck designed with a huge engine up there. With undoubtedly a large penalty aerodynamically. I doubt that a ground-up Ford design will have as huge a frunk. Imagine the CyberTruck design with a huge rectangular bump in the hood to accommodate a similarly huge frunk. Yuck.

Is everyone else receiving an ongoing stream of emails from Telsa to buy Cybertruck merch or other Tesla models for $1000 off, “while you wait,” for your Cybertruck. Even though I canceled my order last week, I continue to receive this stuff….

IMG_9864.png