Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybertruck News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
cybertruck news.jpg

Hopefully they keep the range at 500+. I'm all for the extra motor but hope they don't launch with a smaller battery quad motor version. I want this truck to go all out. Presume price for the quad over the tri motor is going to be higher. Personally I assumed before the reveal that this was going to be a six figure truck. Plenty of room to increase price without putting off too many buyers.

Hopefully they keep the range at 500+. I'm all for the extra motor but hope they don't launch with a smaller battery quad motor version. I want this truck to go all out. Presume price for the quad over the tri motor is going to be higher. Personally I assumed before the reveal that this was going to be a six figure truck. Plenty of room to increase price without putting off too many buyers.
Yes, they need to keep this 500 mile range so you can get some decent range with pulling.

Hopefully some announcements coming soon on price and production
What does that due to all customers who have deposit down on tri motors?
I wouldn't expect it until the earnings calls in late Jan 21.

Oddly the date for Jan 20 is incorrect on this page.
WdBrTOE.jpg

Is "crab walk" is where the front and rear wheels both turn the same amount the same direction so the car drives diagonally, for changing lanes? How do you control that? The default would have to be turning the rear the reverse direction of the front to make a tighter turn, yes?

Is "crab walk" is where the front and rear wheels both turn the same amount the same direction so the car drives diagonally, for changing lanes? How do you control that? The default would have to be turning the rear the reverse direction of the front to make a tighter turn, yes?
Yes on the crab walk defn.

Not sure all the use case for "crab walk" but it seems like an obvious one would be automatic trailer hookup.

The second video's example they show of getting thru a canyon is not very clear why it was better than just steering thru, and they don't seem to show HOW you engage it. If you turn on the feature and then the car will face forward while moving left or right I can see an accident happening. Perhaps that is why it's only a low speed feature

Reactions: scottf200
The second video's example they show of getting thru a canyon is not very clear why it was better than just steering thru, and they don't seem to show HOW you engage it. If you turn on the feature and then the car will face forward while moving left or right I can see an accident happening. Perhaps that is why it's only a low speed feature
I 100% follow you on the example through the canyon. It appeared like normal steering would have worked.

Will be curious how Tesla implements and describes use cases for this. In normal front only steering there is always a *delay* in moving the rear of your vehicle. At faster speeds it seems to shift quickly (think changing lanes) but in other examples like pulling into a parking spot (forward or backing in) the rear is always lagging. Also a great example, in my head, is of you are driving up to a stop at an intersection and realize you are in the wrong lane at the last second so you are going 2 mph and trying to change lanes ... your rear is in the lane you just left. A little silly example but demonstrates that if you had crab walk at slow speed you could shift the *whole* vehicle (vs front end) left or right *quicker*

This Hummer EV YT video shows both types of steering and the interface. It mentions crab walk in off-road and terrain as well 10 degree limit.

Jump to 7:00 if this link doesn't automatically do it.

UPDATE: 17:20 the GM rep mentions 30 mph it goes from in-phase to out-of-phase (which I translate to crab-walk [same direction] or opposite direction).

Found another video on the rear steering.

k0SrDBk.jpg

Last edited:
If this 4 wheel steering was so great, then why are we not seeing it in so many production vehicles?
Even Honda at one time had 4 wheel steering.

If this 4 wheel steering was so great, then why are we not seeing it in so many production vehicles?

It appears in 2002-2005 that (Chevy Silverado / GMC Sierra) & (Chevy Suburban / GMC Yukon XL) had four wheel steering named Quadrasteer https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quadrasteer

I think it was $5600 extra on the '02-'05 vehicles so certainly no one thought ~20% turning radius was worth that.

Four wheel steer is more complex and costly... hence vehicles like the new Mercedes S-Class, Hummer EV have it. Unless you are maneuvering in tight spots when turning/parking... there isn't any benefit when cruising on the highway or curvy roads.