Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybertruck plaid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hard to say, Tesla can probably save a bit of money by using the same dual motor setup for all three, and just down grade the Cybertruck motors with software. This has an earnings advantage of allowing owners to upgrade the power for $3K to 5K. It isn't likely to compete with the S or roadster.

Don't you mean $10,000 to $20,000? That's the current "upgrade" intervals. Why would after-sales price be less?
Since they were talking about the tri motor, it's a 70K truck with 0-60 time of 2.9 seconds, what performance increase do you think they can do to justify a 10K to 20K charge?

Now if you think they will have a separate Plaid model, then I still don't think they would be able to improve the performance enough to justify the $20K price that you suggest.

Last edited:
Since they were talking about the tri motor, it's a 70K truck with 0-60 time of 2.9 seconds, what performance increase do you think they can do to justify a 10K to 20K charge?

Now if you think they will have a separate Plaid model, then I still don't think they would be able to improve the performance enough to justify the $20K price that you suggest.
I'm talking about what is currently available.

"Single" motor = 39k. "Dual" = 49k. Tri is 69k. That's 10k for single to dual, or 20k dual to tri.

That is all there is in the way of available OTA upgrades if they build them all the same and software control what you get.

clarification: I'm not responding to previous posts, I'm responding to yours.

You missed the important (to me) tweet before & leading to it.

Me: "Tesla is about to introduce an electric pickup. Can I get one?" (In the interest of domestic openness and tranquility, of course.)
Her: "If it can pull whatever camping trailer I want, yes."
[Cybertruck announced]
Me: [orders tri-motor CT, being able to pull whatever camper she wants] (I was going to order anyway, of course.)
Me: "Hey look, Tesla introduced their electric pickup."
Her: "OMG that's ugly."
Me: [no comment]
Elon, tweets later: "You may return the vehicle for a full refund in the unlikely event that it causes domestic discord"

I would guess that a plaid CT is synonymous with the tri motor version. A plaid S has 3 motors, larger battery and greater battery cooling, which all lead to greater performance. That sounds like tri motor CT to me.

What’s the origin of the “plaid” term? Can’t seem to get my head around it.

message-editor%2F1510896850871-spaceballs.gif

Spaceballs reference to faster than Ludicrous speed. Previous Tesla performance package was Ludicrous mode. The next one is Plaid.