Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybertruck Range Extend?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
well it worked 🤷‍♂️
Tesla thanks u for ur generous interest free loan😅
Well it won't work again. Don't get me wrong, I like Tesla but all the false promises are so unnecessary from a company claiming to be different. I do want them to succeed but I want them to be more truthful.

Those 10 Tesla employees that bought those Cybertrucks at the delivery event, hope they got a great employee discount because those AWD versions increased in price by $30,000, from what Elon had promised the price would be.

I'm wondering why they couldn't make the dash smaller, extending the bed and finding space underneath for this battery pack?

Has anyone seen a review on why the dash is so long? Is it because of the shape of the front windshield?
The dash overhangs the firewall due to windshield geometry versus stopping at it like in other vehicles.
shortening it would only add hood, not usable volume.

Reactions: T3SLAROD
Well it won't work again. Don't get me wrong, I like Tesla but all the false promises are so unnecessary from a company claiming to be different. I do want them to succeed but I want them to be more truthful.

Those 10 Tesla employees that bought those Cybertrucks at the delivery event, hope they got a great employee discount because those AWD versions increased in price by $30,000, from what Elon had promised the price would be.
1) I expect they honestly thought the prices when announced originally. There are so many things changed since 4 years ago, not including the 4 years of inflation and higher mineral prices. For example, it now has 4-wheel steering, fly-by-wire steering, powered frunk, electrically locking differential, bed liner, touch door releases, larger display, 48v low-voltage system. 800v HV system, 350 kW charging, RGB accent lighting, higher ground clearance, and better performance. Then again, they were not able to include the tailgate ramp, the range is less, and the max payload is 1000 lbs lighter.

2) I know for a fact at least 2 CTs delivered were not to employees. Don't know about the others. Also, they delivered 20 CTs, but only did 10 in front of us - likely not to make the delivery event too long. If any were employees, I very much doubt they got any discount. Finally, Elon never promised anything. Listen carefully, and you'll see he says things like we hope to have, or expect to have. Pricing changes happen all the time - just like the Ford F150 started at $40K, but that never occurred either. It is disappointing when things change from our expectations, but that's life.

Maybe you can accept it when a company says a new vehicle will be priced at a certain amount and then it never is sold for that price. You can give Elon all the excuses you want, I won't. It's gets old. They certainly could have accounted for inflation and other variables, Elon does this with SpaceX. It was clearly done to get excitement and reservation funds, of which they got millions of dollars. But whatever, because my dream of owning an affordable 500 mile range Cybertruck will never happen now, just like it was about owning a $35,000 Model 3. I suspect the $25,000 car will be another huge disappointment.

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
Maybe you can accept it when a company says a new vehicle will be priced at a certain amount and then it never is sold for that price. You can give Elon all the excuses you want, I won't. It's gets old. They certainly could have accounted for inflation and other variables, Elon does this with SpaceX. It was clearly done to get excitement and reservation funds, of which they got millions of dollars. But whatever, because my dream of owning an affordable 500 mile range Cybertruck will never happen now, just like it was about owning a $35,000 Model 3. I suspect the $25,000 car will be another huge disappointment.

You can get a $35k Model 3 now - before tax credits - by going through existing inventory where they have to offer a discount to move metal.

Reactions: T3SLAROD
Let's do this another way. The base Model 3 was announced in 2016 for $35K. Today's Model 3 is better in almost every way, but with inflation that $35K would be $45K today (7 years). The base Model 3 today (not inventory) is $39K so, ignoring the various tax credits, the price today is equivalent to about $30K in 2016 dollars. Add on the tax credit, and the car is less than $23K in 2016 terms. Quite a deal.

Reactions: henderrj
Let's do this another way. The base Model 3 was announced in 2016 for $35K. Today's Model 3 is better in almost every way, but with inflation that $35K would be $45K today (7 years). The base Model 3 today (not inventory) is $39K so, ignoring the various tax credits, the price today is equivalent to about $30K in 2016 dollars. Add on the tax credit, and the car is less than $23K in 2016 terms. Quite a deal.

It’s actually $36k at this time. $35k if you had a CT Reservation. Hell of a deal IMO

The range of the Model 3 SR in 2018 was 220 miles, and the current Model 3 RWD is 270 miles. My first EV in 2013 had 210 miles, and while I had a few more stops, I had no problems with long-distance travel back then. 270 miles is a reasonable range for most people and is more than most EVs and even some ICE cars. The range is far less of an issue than it is made out to be, but there are options for those who really need it.

I see $39K on the Tesla website for a new Model 3 RWD order. Did I miss something? Don't forget you must select the "Purchase Price" and not leave it on the "Probable Savings" tab.

I could have sworn last week there were a couple at $36k, $37k now

IMG_0464.jpeg

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
I had reserved the Tri-Motor at $70k because it was promised to have 500+ miles of range.
your reservation cost $100.
This feels like a bait and switch knowing throwing out those initial numbers would get them millions of dollars in reservations, that they got to use interest free for 4 years, and made interest on our money.
If the interest on that $100 is a problem for you, a $70K completely new kind of vehicle probably isn't a good choice for you. You probably should stick with a Ford or GMC that has 100 years of legacy with few innovations along the route.

• Disagree
Reactions: Rocky_H and Resist
Clearly you missed my point altogether.
Clearly you confused a 5% larger prototype with the truck that everyone begged to be produced.

No one was bait and switched, no contract was signed for concrete specs. Otherwise we can start complaining about the Proto having a driver cluster, 6 seats, a better front end, a rear tailgate ramp, and so on and so on.

Maybe if we make more posts about it they’ll fit another 60kWh of HV pack somewhere else.

• Disagree
Reactions: Rocky_H and Resist
It
I think this is the Range Extender. Can anyone else confirm. Just cool to know.

MqnGMZh.png

Found on the Cybertruck learn more page:
It is. Though it looks like it decreases the amount of bed space significantly. Guess it is a trade off.

Reactions: xAgyex