Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybertruck Will Feel Dated By the Time it Comes Out?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
it'll be interesting to see how the race to production capacity goes. Shorts kept saying As soon as the big three start making EVs it'll be over for Tesla. i am sure a lot of people bought Teslas during the last few years of outrageous gas prices as there were just so few other EVs available to purchase at their MSRP

That's the thing, these predictions are hilarious. It will never be over for Tesla, but what we hope for is that Tesla designs better cars. The software is obviously there but the physical car needs to continue to be improved. Like I would love to see the Performance version look a lot different than the regular Model 3.

That's the thing, these predictions are hilarious. It will never be over for Tesla, but what we hope for is that Tesla designs better cars. The software is obviously there but the physical car needs to continue to be improved. Like I would love to see the Performance version look a lot different than the regular Model 3.
I would say, “designs and BUILDS” better cars. Build quality is lacking in my experience.

Reactions: FlyF4
I think CT will have some clever features that set it apart in more ways than looks. As long as its well differentiated from its competitors I doubt it will be perceived as a low relative value.

Also, it could be the end of the decade before EV pickups are not supply limited. If that's true then the company that can do volume will be the winner.

I think Tesla is just fine with CT and semi. But I feel that their vehicle risk may be not enough car models.
I think their risk lies not so much in different models, but their cost cutting and eliminating practical, functional features that exist in most vehicles. Steering wheels, stalks, Sirius XM, drivers information display, and tactile buttons for certain key functions. It's like it's been designed by software designers instead of engineers. The removal of functionality would make the CT feel dated. It's also relatively easy to fix, should they choose to do so.

Last edited:
I think their risk lies not so much in different models, but their cost cutting and eliminating practical, functional features that exist in most vehicles. Steering wheels, stalks, Sirius XM, drivers information display, and tactile buttons for certain key functions. It's like it's been designed by software designers instead of engineers. The removal of functionality would make the CT feel dated. It's also relatively easy to fix, should they choose to do so.
Carplay, Android Auto…

Please stop with asking for Car Play, if it was gonna happen it woulda in the last 5+ years, broken record
I think Tesla is just fine with CT and semi. But I feel that their vehicle risk may be not enough car models.
That's basically what Rich Rebuilds is saying in his latest video:

Buyer beware: Don’t let Elon trick you again with Tesla Price Drop Magic

If you want a unique car (and you know you do) don't buy a Tesla, otherwise they are a great value.

I have been likening them to the VWs that my family had growing up, Dad a Squareback, Mom a Bus that I inherited, and my sister got a Bug. Driving around town in the 70's it was all VWs and then a mix of some other cars. A better example is what happened with the Prius, you had that sense of smug* so you didn't need the unique looking car to enjoy your ride. They still are everywhere but Tesla is ramping fast

*"South Park" Smug Alert! (TV Episode 2006) - IMDb

Reactions: T3SLAROD
Nothing exist as far as what? The outside design that has already been done by DIY?

Everything else you mentioned has been done. Dent proof? Yeah we will see about that one, just like the bulletproof glass lol
Ok someone did a DIY. So how many people can buy this?

Ok, I was wrong and apologize. Ram taking a page out of Fords playbook, what a disappointment

Ugh. Big hood is back and no frunk pass through? That's half the things I was interested in. Are they at least keeping the opening midgate?

I like it and just want to see the specs on range and towing.

Got in line for the reservations as soon as the email came in. May have to wait on the range extension but lets see.
With Rivian and the Lightning being already out, Silverado and Sierra EV coming +RAM EV in late 2024 ... Cybertruck better be launched in volumes in early / mid 2024... field is getting very crowded and by 2024 Ford and Rivian likely will have ramped up production volumes significantly

With Rivian and the Lightning being already out, Silverado and Sierra EV coming +RAM EV in late 2024 ... Cybertruck better be launched in volumes in early / mid 2024... field is getting very crowded and by 2024 Ford and Rivian likely will have ramped up production volumes significantly

People who want the Cybertruck want the Cybertruck. I think it will pull customers from many categoies and is not primarly depedant on winning sales from traditional full size pickups.

In the first years Model S owners sometimes traded a Prius, sometimes Lamborghini. People haven't wanted sedans for a decade, yet we the S, 3 and Y.

CT will be its category. It certainly doesn't look to be particularly customizable as a work truck.

By mid 2024, Ford will be doing a livestream for the 2nd Gen Lightning. A from the ground up EV.

Reactions: texas_star_TM3
People who want the Cybertruck want the Cybertruck. I think it will pull customers from many categoies and is not primarly depedant on winning sales from traditional full size pickups.

In the first years Model S owners sometimes traded a Prius, sometimes Lamborghini. People haven't wanted sedans for a decade, yet we the S, 3 and Y.

CT will be its category. It certainly doesn't look to be particularly customizable as a work truck.
I agree some (especially Tesla loyalists) will wait to see if the CT ever makes it to market and if it doesn’t they will not buy a truck. The point others bring up is that this will be the first time Tesla isn’t close first to market in a segment. Before this they had little to no competition with every model release for and for years after.

Personal example: if the model 3 had been available in 2014 when I bought my S there is no way I would have got the S, sold my S in 2018 and bought a 3. If in 2014 we had the EV selection we do today or if I was buying my first EV today, no way I would have bought the S or 3.

I have a reservation on a CT, Rivian, and Silverado EV. It is getting less likely I’ll take a Rivian but of these or ford/Ram/MB/…, whatever I can get with >400 mile range first will be the one. No way I’m going to wait on the (quirky) CT if there is another option ready to go.

not after folks realize how hard any full size truck is to fit into a residential garage. with the exception of the Rivian... most full size trucks are about a foot too long and a foot too wide for easy fit into most residential garages. Would be surprised if the Cybertruck is more compact than the F150 tbh... but let's see final specs

The Ram will not have a midgate due to the bed being separate from the body.
That is a good thing. let's not add cost and opportunities for one more thing to fail.

All I want to buy is a solid truck with Electric propulsion. Here is my list

selectable 4 wheel drive (May not have selectability)
Crew cab
Door handles
Steering wheel
windshiled wipers that take into account 6 inches of snow on the windshield and do not get in the way of clearing said snow.
Able to tow my boat 250 miles on a charge (6,000 pounds +/-)
Able to drop a Pallet (ton) of pellets in the bed and take them home
Radio with decent sound and Sirus XM or like service
Heated/cooled seats
Dual climate control
6 charge ports inside the cab.
Adaptive cruise control
Lane departure warning
surround cameras

Things I do not need or that could be options
4 wheel steering (I do not have it now why do I need it?)
Mid gate. Buys me nothing in terms of what I use a truck for
hands free driving
auto opening tailgate not needed
powered toneau
gear tunnel cool but not needed
Sun roof (s)

Make it a truck and people will buy it.

Reactions: coleAK
That's quite a list. Do none of the trucks on the market measure up? I would think real truck people want the F150's original body style and accessories. While Tesla people want FSD and covered vault to make it another Tesla. I don't think it's gonna be much of a cross over between those two camps (except when the do tug of war with the two trucks)

not after folks realize how hard any full size truck is to fit into a residential garage
Why would you need to put a pickup in a garage? Is the stainless steel gonna rust? Trying to protect it from hail?

Last edited:
That's quite a list. Do none of the trucks on the market measure up? I would think real truck people want the F150's original body style and accessories. While Tesla people want FSD and covered vault to make it another Tesla. I don't think it's gonna be much of a cross over between those two camps (except when the do tug of war with the two trucks)

Why would you need to put a pickup in a garage? Is the stainless steel gonna rust? Trying to protect it from hail?

And tug of war proves nothing. Just like 0-60…..

Great 1.9 seconds but can’t stop worth a crap or turn….