Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

D-day!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Assume I'm a bit thick, but what is the type 2 adapter/type 2 to CCS adapter?
Does this just relate to people who will be using an untethered charger?

I don't think that's needed on EU Model 3s.

As I understand it, the "original" Model 3 in the US uses a custom Tesla Type 2 socket to add Supercharger support (DC) to the standard Type 2 feed (AC).

In the EU, our Model 3s instead have a Type 2/CCS combo connector. So we can use both Type 2 and CCS connections with no adapters needed.

Thanks though I'm still not sure which bit is missing :) Maybe I'm just being slow on a Friday afternoon.
I'll only be charging from a desintaion charger at work and CCS elsewhere so assmuing I'll be fine :cool:

There's been reports of Tesla UK being out of stock of Type 2 cables, so some/all cars are being delivered without them with a problem to send later.

Thanks though I'm still not sure which bit is missing :) Maybe I'm just being slow on a Friday afternoon.
I'll only be charging from a desintaion charger at work and CCS elsewhere so assmuing I'll be fine :cool:

Yes sorry.

You should be fine.

The car is supposed to come with a Type 2 cable. If it doesn't have one of these then I can't use the 7kW charger I've had installed at my house. Which is bad because I don't have any facilities near me and I don't fancy 3-pinning it using an extension lead from my garage.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Informative
Reactions: Daverh
Just picked up mine from Stockport. Sorry no sunshine for the pic here in Manchester - just rain and more rain.

As others have reported, approx. 50% charge (but I only live 6 miles away so not an issue) and no type 2 cable supplied as they are out of stock. Car is plugged into the 3 pin in the garage - 9 hours to full.

Attachments

• 20190809_173425.jpg
    20190809_173425.jpg
    957.7 KB · Views: 54
@BogBeast Does your front plate have a holder or is it held on with tape?
@curmudgeon yours has a holder but again is it screwed in?

I'm hoping to fit a vinyl plate to the front and not sure whether to ask the SC in advance not to screw into the front bumper.

Not sure yet - I will get round to investigating when I stop fawning over the car.

I don't think you'll have much luck requesting them not to fit the front holder - tI think they are too busy to accodate those sort of specfic requests.,.

I too want a vinyl for the front. if it has holes the vinyl will cover them I think

As others have reported, approx. 50% charge (but I only live 6 miles away so not an issue) and no type 2 cable supplied as they are out of stock. Car is plugged into the 3 pin in the garage - 9 hours to full.

The charge levels are giving me range anxiety already - I have a 2hr drive back from my delivery centre. I'll have to check it charges OK before I leave. Don't want to get half way back, need to charge and find a broken charge port :)

Just picked up mine from Stockport. Sorry no sunshine for the pic here in Manchester - just rain and more rain.

Congrats on getting the car dude!

BUT ALSO, what. the. actual. flip?!

No Type 2 cable with the car is utterly bonkers... How does that happen?

I've just invested all my spare cash into Floor Mat production for SR+ owners... I can't afford to start making my own Type 2 cables as well! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think that's needed on EU Model 3s.

As I understand it, the "original" Model 3 in the US uses a custom Tesla Type 2 socket to add Supercharger support (DC) to the standard Type 2 feed (AC).

In the EU, our Model 3s instead have a Type 2/CCS combo connector. So we can use both Type 2 and CCS connections with no adapters needed.

Yes, you are right, the UK models don't need the adapter. Sorry for misleading people. The non availability of the type 2 lead needs resolving quickly though.

No Type 2 cable with the car is utterly bonkers... How does that happen?
I’ve already mentioned this a few times on here. When I had my M3 test drive at Stockport 3 weeks ago they told me that the first batch had been delivered without the Type 2 cables as they were out of stock. It sounds like - at Stockport at least - that’s still the case.

So, don’t be surprised or shocked if when you get your car you don’t get the Type 2 cable on the day. Be prepared to make other charging arrangements.