Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

D-day!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a private plate and I was wondering if they might facilitate the transfer online at delivery. They refuse to register with the private plates. Probably will have to wait for postal dlelivery of my named V5 before making the change.

I've heard the same in that they refuse as it's more paperwork but in reality I'm sure they have time in between deliveries. I plan to use double sided tape to hold the plate on temporarily until I can transfer to my personal one.

• Helpful
Reactions: FEERSUMENDJIN
I have a private plate and I was wondering if they might facilitate the transfer online at delivery. They refuse to register with the private plates. Probably will have to wait for postal dlelivery of my named V5 before making the change.
I emailed the Edinburgh service centre yesterday and they said they could make up private plates on the day as long as you bring your Certificate of Entitlement or Retention Certificate with you on collection day.

If you already have plates, I believe you’ll have to wait for the V5C to be delivered, then you can do it online. I was previously told by the sales team in Edinburgh that they’ve got this process nailed down and the V5C should be out within 3 or 4 days.

• Helpful
Reactions: FEERSUMENDJIN
I emailed the Edinburgh service centre yesterday and they said they could make up private plates on the day as long as you bring your Certificate of Entitlement or Retention Certificate with you on collection day.

If you already have plates, I believe you’ll have to wait for the V5C to be delivered, then you can do it online. I was previously told by the sales team in Edinburgh that they’ve got this process nailed down and the V5C should be out within 3 or 4 days.

OK That is promising. I will post the result of the process on Wednesday.

• Informative
Reactions: dst87 and Keeper
"You're Old Fashioned!" ;) I don't agree - they should just run. Admittedly on the Dawn of the millennium I looked like a total berk wearing my tinfoil hat, but this time really is the future! Annual MOT after 3 years and the diagnostics on the car can book me in, ideally it should drive itself to the SC whilst I am working. It should be simple for a MEMS accelerometer, they're cheaper than chips, to detect unusual vibrations that could indicate a mechanical failure. An algorithm to look at your driving style and where you drive could easily guess what state your car is in, they already know how costly you are to insure and people love the black boxes.. https://www.confused.com/car-insurance/black-box if you ignore all the complaints, however, https://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/files/2857/issue_128.pdf Page 18, Somebody managed to get the Financial Ombudsman to overrule the blackbox and the other party.

Remember when people used to have signs on the back of the car saying "please pass! - running in" ?

These days it's a small sign saying - "please pass! calibrating, no AP/FSD for the first 30 miles"

I hope the lack of switch gear on the M3 is things heading the right way, the model Y sounds even more savings of stuff, like the 12V Battery. Remember when phone had buttons on? Look at phones pre and post Mr Ive's effort on the iPhone, I haven't been in a modern car recently, I believe dashes are less cluttered.

Software is the bigger problem if Tesla fails, the tech is in the software - I have phones that are not very old and no longer secure, I can't use them. I am not sure if there is Escrow to hold software if things go belly up - I do this with Technology & Software Escrow | Iron Mountain As consumers we don't stand a chance of asking the Service Center to escrow the software and validate that it can be compiled outside of Tesla.

However, I believe somebody did "take" a backup...

Former Tesla employee admits uploading Autopilot source code to his iCloud

BUT, Worst case if Tesla fail - remove the tesla computer, replace with an open source alternative, somebody will. Its not an ICE, there's not a lot else in there:

In this case I might be kicking myself for adding FSD... although if the throttle and brakes work.. AND the aircon - it will be doing better than my current car :)

Never seen these before. What is the coolant medium and how often is the oil changed? Everybody goes on about no oil changes, but those were pretty regular oil filters on the motors. Where do you top up? Is there a pressure diagnostic on the main user system ?

Picked up SR+ yesterday from Heathrow - thought I would share my experience if it might be useful for others.

Original delivery date in my final invoice was 13/08. Got a text and email on 06/08 that it is now 08/08 (i.e. moved from next Tuesday to yesterday) - I have had no calls from Tesla, only texts and emails. I guess the message is be prepared for delivery dates to change!!! Arrived 10 mins before allotted time, asked for my Registration number so I could complete my insurance setup over the phone - in hindsight, should have arrived earlier as this took a while on the phone and so we started the handover about 15 mins late. In terms of insurance, I had same issues as others with expired Churchill quote that they would not then re-quote for, even over the phone so went with Direct Line in the end and asked them to email me the Certificate - came in about 10 minutes. I didn't get asked for driving licence or insurance proof (I would still recommend having them), but as I did my bank transfer that morning, they wanted proof of that. I got the impression that they couldn't check themselves there and then. I guess if you have transferred a few days before then it will be validated in your online account so they could see that. Anyway, the handover was fairly basic but I think the aim was to get you away safely and that you were adequately informed of what you needed to get you home. I didn't feel pressured for time and the agent doing the handover was really helpful, knowledgeable and enthusiastic. He mentioned the Type 2 adaptor being in short supply and that would be posted - not sure when. I asked about 32A Commando adaptor and the response was that they no longer supply such a thing - as others have said, probably to move you towards a charge point install. It did come with 13A standard plug and 16A Commando so that is what I'll be using initially. Had approx 10 miles on the clock and 50% charge so parked up at Supercharger on site for 30 mins or so and charged to approx 200 miles - cost approx £5 - wasn't busy, think I was the only one there. Was a simple process but didn't know I had to press the unlock button to be able to remove the charger - first 'schoolboy error'!!!. Struggled a bit with wipers on the way home - Auto didn't seem to work and had to find controls on screen, loved the regen braking and the performance is fantastic. Couldn't see any WiFi connections at home although I know there is a good signal in the drive so will need to investigate. Its been mad but really happy so far as I expect you all will be when your day arrives.

Coolant, I imagine it's a normal glycol mix. The Coolant system is relatively simple, obviously loops through batteries and other EV parts:

The Drive Unit- no idea on shelf life of oil, good to see it has a filter.

That video - oh dear, I feel queasy.

yes - sorry about this - I found a really slick video that wasn't filmed by a man in a dinghy sitting on a swivel chair, I obviously messed up the bookmark.. I will post the nice one if I can find it.

Reading elsewhere that is the gear oil and Tesla have significantly pulled back on service intervals on that. Amazing. The complexity of the cooling circuits is certainly not trivial ! You really have to pull the frunk apart to do the cooling top up, so it will be good to be not messing with that.

I’m in the same boat with my private plate. Unfortunately to do the online transfer you need the physical V5C, which you’ll get through the post a few days after delivery.

You really have to pull the frunk apart to do the cooling top up, so it will be good to be not messing with that.

The mythical nice video seemed to have the Frunk liner removed IIRC..

The complexity of the cooling circuits is certainly not trivial !

It's seems to make more sense than my central heating - I vow never to drain that down again, 6 hours to install a load of TRVs, 12 hours to clear the airlocks. May have been easier if I knew what I was doing.

That said, avoiding airlocks would be my biggest concern, I think we're used to the cooling being under the hood rather than from nose to tail.

OK That is promising. I will post the result of the process on Wednesday.

To clarify, in either case you'll need to wait on your V5C. If you already have plated maybe you don't need Tesla to make them, but if you do want Tesla to make them they'll do it on the day.

In both cases, once you get your V5C you'll be able to assign your plate and put them on the car _immediately_.

Sorry my original message wasn't super clear.

Picked up SR+ yesterday from Heathrow - thought I would share my experience if it might be useful for others.

Original delivery date in my final invoice was 13/08. Got a text and email on 06/08 that it is now 08/08 (i.e. moved from next Tuesday to yesterday) - I have had no calls from Tesla, only texts and emails. I guess the message is be prepared for delivery dates to change!!! Arrived 10 mins before allotted time, asked for my Registration number so I could complete my insurance setup over the phone - in hindsight, should have arrived earlier as this took a while on the phone and so we started the handover about 15 mins late. In terms of insurance, I had same issues as others with expired Churchill quote that they would not then re-quote for, even over the phone so went with Direct Line in the end and asked them to email me the Certificate - came in about 10 minutes. I didn't get asked for driving licence or insurance proof (I would still recommend having them), but as I did my bank transfer that morning, they wanted proof of that. I got the impression that they couldn't check themselves there and then. I guess if you have transferred a few days before then it will be validated in your online account so they could see that. Anyway, the handover was fairly basic but I think the aim was to get you away safely and that you were adequately informed of what you needed to get you home. I didn't feel pressured for time and the agent doing the handover was really helpful, knowledgeable and enthusiastic. He mentioned the Type 2 adaptor being in short supply and that would be posted - not sure when. I asked about 32A Commando adaptor and the response was that they no longer supply such a thing - as others have said, probably to move you towards a charge point install. It did come with 13A standard plug and 16A Commando so that is what I'll be using initially. Had approx 10 miles on the clock and 50% charge so parked up at Supercharger on site for 30 mins or so and charged to approx 200 miles - cost approx £5 - wasn't busy, think I was the only one there. Was a simple process but didn't know I had to press the unlock button to be able to remove the charger - first 'schoolboy error'!!!. Struggled a bit with wipers on the way home - Auto didn't seem to work and had to find controls on screen, loved the regen braking and the performance is fantastic. Couldn't see any WiFi connections at home although I know there is a good signal in the drive so will need to investigate. Its been mad but really happy so far as I expect you all will be when your day arrives.
Damn, no type 2 cable! I've just sent my faulty one back for a refund!

Great review.

Ditto windscreen wipers, auto doesn't seem to work very well. Similarly, auto lights are always on. Also beware the smart navigate through suoerchargers, it's not very smart, it took me off route to the nearest charger when plenty of charge to the next charger on route.

Thanks for the review :)

auto doesn't seem to work very well. Similarly, auto lights are always on

I believe the cameras are being used to determine rain and light levels, another cost saving compared to traditional sensor on dash and screen. I guess if it's not West Coast USA super bright sun they think they need to turn the lights on. Hopefully there's some adaptive learning and it will improve :)

not sure but I'll ask... I'm heading over there in a short while

Thanks for saying that you would check. But was just typing this out when the website updated...and confirmed tomorrow for 2pm. I now feel like a kid on christmas eve.

Thanks, I only ask as I had a phone call this morning to confirm my current scheduled delivery on Monday at 10am. I happened to mention that it was a shame that it wasn't on a weekend and the person said they may be able to get it changed to Saturday. They called me back and said that I could pick up tomorrow at 2pm. I havent received any email and neither has the website updated to reflect this. (Just think it could be a friend pranking me)

Attachments

• deli.JPG
    deli.JPG
    15.8 KB · Views: 45