Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Daily switching from non Tesla to your Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Is anyone having or had any difficulty driving their gas powered car after driving a Tesla for a week or longer. (Or Vice Versa)? I can think of right away the effect of regeneration braking. Or perhaps forgetting to brake because one has been relying or gotten used to Tesla's traffic aware cruise control doing the braking.

Reactions: GeezerSquid
I occasionally find myself reaching in the wrong place for changing drive mode, but usually resolved in first 10 sec or so. But what I do miss is the auto speed sign detection and chiming if going too fast. Found myself driving in my ICE a couple of times, all was quiet, no chimes, and I was going a bit too fast for that zone.

Nope. I used engine braking all the time so Tesla's regen felt natural. A car coasting along while not pressing the gas is weird for me.

I had to get rid of my old gasser. I couldn't believe the noise and complete lack of reaction when I pressed the accelerator. That was before I got Acceleration Boost.

Is anyone having or had any difficulty driving their gas powered car after driving a Tesla for a week or longer. (Or Vice Versa)? I can think of right away the effect of regeneration braking. Or perhaps forgetting to brake because one has been relying or gotten used to Tesla's traffic aware cruise control doing the braking.

Nope. I used engine braking all the time so Tesla's regen felt natural. A car coasting along while not pressing the gas is weird for me.
My wife has been driving Toyota / Lexus hybrids now for close to 15 years now. Her cars feel like they're free-wheeling when you let off the gas. She definitely won't like the feel of my MY's pedal when it finally arrives.

My wife has been driving Toyota / Lexus hybrids now for close to 15 years now. Her cars feel like they're free-wheeling when you let off the gas. She definitely won't like the feel of my MY's pedal when it finally arrives.
^^^this. Prius and Avalon Hybrids here. When you release the gas pedal, the car almost feels like it lurches forward, the exact opposite of the Tesla MY, which brakes hard if you lift suddenly.

Other than the first 2 or three approaches to a stop light when I was initially test driving a Y, I haven’t had any issues getting used the regenerative braking or swapping between vehicles. The Y is like driving a manual transmission that is always in the right RPM band . . . Ready to engine brake or blast off with modulation of the throttle.

as a previous person said, having a Mercedes with same gear selector helped me. but I have definitely done the get out without turning off the engine. My husband hates how every car is "so" different. He likes that the parking brake is applied automatically in the tesla and all gas cars he has to figure out is it a foot brake, hand brake or an electronic button to set it.

as a previous person said, having a Mercedes with same gear selector helped me. but I have definitely done the get out without turning off the engine. My husband hates how every car is "so" different. He likes that the parking brake is applied automatically in the tesla and all gas cars he has to figure out is it a foot brake, hand brake or an electronic button to set it.
Tell your husband that the parking brake ISN'T set automatically in the Tesla. You have to hold the park button for a second or two until the parking brake light shows up. Point taken though.

Reactions: mrfeb14
I notice I have to remind myself to turn the ice car off and to lock the doors when I walk away.

When I got the Prius V, I read on a site, similar to this that every time you leave the vehicle, you should lock it. The reason was because if you had done everything you were supposed to have done, there'd be a short beep and the car would lock itself. If however the car gave a long beep, that meant you'd either left the keys in the vehicle, or worse, not switched it off correctly

and yes I did still leave it out front 'running' for several hours

and yes, the lock-every-time method has saved me several times