Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dan O'Dowd’s 2023 Super Bowl Dawn Project Commerical

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla should be able to take a little heat if everything is on the up and up. It's not gonna make a significant difference. Customers can refute it by buying it and providing positive results.

Tesla has played the fake video game too and we don't need to bring up Elon's delirious promises. And youtube shills painting unrealistic FSDb performance.

I doubt Elon or Tesla would want a court battle to shine a light on potential FSDb dirt.

August of 2022, Tesla sent a formal cease and desist warning letter (you know, from that newly created super aggressive legal team that Elon said would fight every case against them that was unjust..yet they lost a case to a self represented TMC forum member in small claims court weeks later) to Dan O'dowd about Dan's earlier FSD test videos.

Dan responded directly to Elon and Tesla essentially telling them to go to hell, AND he ramped up his videos including developing the superbowl ad.

As of this post, ZERO court filings against Dan or the Dawn project, have been filed by Elon/Tesla.

August of 2022, Tesla sent a formal cease and desist warning letter (you know, from that newly created super aggressive legal team that Elon said would fight every case against them that was unjust..yet they lost a case to a self represented TMC forum member in small claims court weeks later) to Dan O'dowd about Dan's earlier FSD test videos.

Dan responded directly to Elon and Tesla essentially telling them to go to hell, AND he ramped up his videos including developing the superbowl ad.

As of this post, ZERO court filings against Dan or the Dawn project, have been filed by Elon/Tesla.

Yep, Tesla would probably follow up if they had the higher ground. Maybe they should save some money and thin that expensive law group.

• Informative
Reactions: 2101Guy
What about that "stop start" commercial. The girl was rolling her eyes, talking about being satisfied and the guy was sheepishly looking down. Range deficiency problems? Hilarious!!!!
That was a good one! Very well done. There were several EV ads, nice to see.

Regarding the anti-FSD video, I kind of feel the same way. It's Beta for the driver and everyone else in their path.

Dan seems to me to be a politician hiding behind a company. Or the other way around just as much. If it's hard to figure out someone, run...

So he kind of did it on the cheap. Target the market. The politician. Went after state capitals and such.Tallahassee, Austin, Albany. Hoping to catch the legislator or legislature aide with a few too many and maybe a political idea. If they can remember it in the morning when 1 in 5 called in hungover. Strange on the TX, and FL. Employers and growing in states. I would think you would have better luck in other states.

Last edited:

The guy is fear mongering at the least. I'm sure Tesla was creative with their demo in 2016... that's marketing. Some would say Elon and Tesla push the boundaries in the area of hype and promises.

That commercial is a complete fabrication meant to single out Tesla and drag their name through the mud. Just because a lawsuit hasn't been filed yet doesn't mean there won't be one. In fact, the quiet on the part of Tesla is very telling. I say they are collecting evidence and letting him dig himself deeper before they make a move.

I will certainly call out Tesla for their shortcomings but anyone who drives a Tesla knows it's BS. Even without AP or NOAP enabled the car will stop for an obstacle unless the safety systems have been disabled or circumvented.

My friend always blames me if the Tesla phantom brakes. He doesn't know what phantom braking is, he just think it's me not paying attention.

But technically I am paying attention because every time the Tesla phantom brake I take over immediately. I'm thankful the autopilot is safe most the time.

Same guy ran a version of this ad when he was running for the Senate nomination in California last spring. Taking down Tesla was just about his only campaign position - and no one could figure out why. Maybe it's a commentary on billionaires that they're willing to throw around literally millions of dollars on whatever hare-brained scheme captures their interest. (OK, Elon has Twitter - but at least that's a real company, and not just a crazy rant.)

Same guy ran a version of this ad when he was running for the Senate nomination in California last spring. Taking down Tesla was just about his only campaign position - and no one could figure out why. Maybe it's a commentary on billionaires that they're willing to throw around literally millions of dollars on whatever hare-brained scheme captures their interest. (OK, Elon has Twitter - but at least that's a real company, and not just a crazy rant.)
Think he spent $40M on a senate campaign he was never going to win. What a waste of money.

Reactions: DanCar
Taking down Tesla was just about his only campaign position - and no one could figure out why.

Think he spent $40M on a senate campaign he was never going to win. What a waste of money.
I think it's not a mystery - the obviously unserious Senate campaign was simply a vehicle to solicit donations for his narrow anti-Tesla cause.

This is not my original theory; there was some discussion about it at the time, having to do with campaign finance laws and the ability for him to solicit money. Others could probably explain this better, or refute it if they disagree.

I did some searching about this technique but most of the results had to do with diverting political campaign contributions for personal gain. I don't think that's exactly what's happening here; it's more like funding an ongoing lobbying effort. He may not be minding his pockets to spend on himself or his family, but it could be a very grey area considering the competitive benefit to his software firm.

I watched a couple of TV interviews around the time he took out that full page New York Times ad (which had some very outlandish and frankly stupid claims about millions of deaths from FSD). Certainly not dumb in an academic sense , but let's just say he didn't come across as an impressive and well-spoken individual. Whiny, generally annoying and remarkably poorly prepared to answer the questions that were obviously going to come in a quick TV news interview spot.

Reactions: outdoors
The only thing weirder than that ad was Rupert Murdoch and Musk together.
3BC0EEA1-1D1A-403C-BA64-64E9C8D46145.jpeg

• Funny
Reactions: zoomer0056
I watched a couple of TV interviews around the ime he took out that full page New York Times ad (which had some very outlandish and frankly stupid claims about millions of deaths from FSD). Certainly not dumb in an academic sense , but let's just say he didn't come across as an impressive and well-spoken individual. Whiny, generally annoying and remarkably poorly prepared to answer the questions that were obviously going to come in a quick TV news interview spot.
I thought I should go back and review what I was talking about here, because it was from memory. So the first hit on YouTube searching for "Dan O'Dowd interview" is a longer one than what I remember watching, but as I said, not very cohesive and actually somewhat embarrassing IMO.

So the first and main question he's asked is "Why are you doing this?" After a bit of stumbling, he launches a 2-minute diatribe about "everything being connected to the internet" and how hackable and dangerous that is. (This, by the way , is the now 20 to 30 year old mantra that he's been pushing in conjunction with his somewhat Infamous anti-Linux abd anti-open-source campaigns of the past, that were designed to scare government procurers and contractors away from mainstream software solutions that competed with his company.)

What's fascinating about this "connected to the internet" rant is that a Tesla running FSD is not connected to the internet, but is executing standalone code running on the autopilot computer. Other than navigation mapping and ancillary items like voice command processing, the car is just not under online control, and I believe cannot be hacked during the FSD operation, unless the driver stops, somehow gets hooked up to a fake non-Tesla software update, and so on. The whole anti-internet vulnerability rant makes no sense in the Tesla FSD context.

The next minute or so (after the interviewer dragged him back to the subject of actual Tesla FSD performance) is spent with him marveling over how egregiously bad FSD is. This is of course a matter of debate; his descriptions are highly exaggerated in my opinion but at least on the topic. He says it's all about safety but of course he cites no safety data, just hoping to convince the clueless viewer that it's the worst software ever released.

To the third question, asked by a co-interviewer, " Do you have a competing financial interest?", he again stumbles from No to Actually very much Yes, then lamely settles on "Who better than a competitor to point out the problems". As I said, remarkably fumbling and unprepared-sounding considering this is his whole public issue.

That's my analysis, you can judge for yourself if you're interested:

Last edited: