Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dan O'Dowd’s 2023 Super Bowl Dawn Project Commerical

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The ad aired in Washington, D.C.; Sacramento; New York; Austin; Tallahassee; and Atlanta.
Washington DC is the key audience. NYC is good for financial-market FUD. The others are state capitals. Not sure how much anti-Tesla mileage he would expect to get in Austin. Tallahassee and Atlanta seem less relevant on the surface, but maybe I'm missing something. Allies in Sacramento would be an obvious plus.

• Funny
Reactions: zoomer0056
Tesla should be able to take a little heat if everything is on the up and up. It's not gonna make a significant difference. Customers can refute it by buying it and providing positive results.

Tesla has played the fake video game too and we don't need to bring up Elon's delirious promises. And youtube shills painting unrealistic FSDb performance.

I doubt Elon or Tesla would want a court battle to shine a light on potential FSDb dirt.
There is a difference between promoting your own product and someone else slandering it.

Now, let's assume you own a business and I decide to call you a pedophile, advertising it to the public with billboards and TV commercials, even though you aren't. And lets just say I happen to own a competing business down the road. How much money have I taken away from your business? That's what a lawsuit would find out. Does that make sense to you?

BTW, I happen to agree that FSD Beta is a trainwreck and far from being close to ready for public consumption, but opinions mean very little when it comes to slander and libel court cases.

Doesn't O'Dowd have his own software company? Seems like he is just trying to kill the competition to me.
Well, I don't think he owns the company that developing the software, but I do believe he is attached to the company in some way. I'm too lazy to look up the exact relationship. Regardless, the fact that he's in bed with a competing company and slandered Tesla with these video's is just going to make it an easier win for Tesla in court. This guy, O'Dowd, either doesn't care about money, or he's a fool. If i were Tesla, I would be asking for a min of $1 billion dollars, since the amount of damage can be viewed as incalcuable.

By "running a campaign" he gets the lowest ad rate since this was a law that politicians made, so they would pay less to run the endless campaign spots. He used his "campaign" to get cheaper ads. Not sure if that worked for the Super Bowl commercial, it seems it may only apply 60 days or less before an election. He seems to have had some issues with Linux at one time. I like that he is described in some places as a "self described Billionaire"

Reactions: outdoors
how is it different for tesla to stage their FSD in promo videos back in 2016
Tesla did not say: "Purchase a Tesla and this is what it can do". The video, despite being staged, was simply a vision of what the future of Autopilot will look like and what the general idea of FSD is. It was not a shof off for an existing feature.

Dan O' Clown actively overrides FSD Beta to hit pedestrian-like objects placed on the road to give the impression that what Tesla actually *is* delivering, is super dangerous bla bla.

Well, I don't think he owns the company that developing the software, but I do believe he is attached to the company in some way. I'm too lazy to look up the exact relationship. Regardless, the fact that he's in bed with a competing company and slandered Tesla with these video's is just going to make it an easier win for Tesla in court. This guy, O'Dowd, either doesn't care about money, or he's a fool. If i were Tesla, I would be asking for a min of $1 billion dollars, since the amount of damage can be viewed as incalcuable.

He is the Founder, President and CEO of Green Hills Software, and according to him he is the only one in the world that knows how to build software that "never fails and can't be hacked".

For an article that was written more than a year ago, I feel it's more relevant today than ever.

1676403152919.png

Was proud of my Tesla today, had it on FSD and while going 40 mph, it abruptly slowed down to about 15 mph. There was nothing in front of me so I thought it was a mistake, then I saw a boy between two city garbage cans next to the curb, all I could see was his head. Tesla had seen him before me. He didn't cross the road but Tesla was ready if he did. With all of the anti FSD from O'Dowd and the Dawn Project, it was nice to see one more reason why FSD is way ahead of everything else, and has a far better safety record on average, than human drivers.

Was proud of my Tesla today, had it on FSD and while going 40 mph, it abruptly slowed down to about 15 mph. There was nothing in front of me so I thought it was a mistake, then I saw a boy between two city garbage cans next to the curb, all I could see was his head. Tesla had seen him before me. He didn't cross the road but Tesla was ready if he did. With all of the anti FSD from O'Dowd and the Dawn Project, it was nice to see one more reason why FSD is way ahead of everything else, and has a far better safety record on average, than human drivers.

I'd be so very surprised if it really reacted to a child's head just visible above a trash can - come on! More likely it thought the two trash cans were a semi-truck pulling out on you! :)

Reactions: zoomer0056
All they want is that human beings are responsible for what has been touted for years as drivers. Sadly, the biggest investor did as switch, and bait and got away with it. FSD, has been promised for almost a decade. It's still in BETA, that should tell you everything as being a Tesla, guinea pigs for "free" three months of FSD.

• Disagree
Reactions: TresLA
Full FSD (with no driver assistance, I think it's called L5) will NEVER happen
until there will be cameras at each corner of a vehicle facing perpendicularly
to the left and the right to check for other vehicles, bicycles, or pedestrians
who will not be viisible by just using the B side pillar or the side rear facing cameras.

The MOST dangerous part of my driving is to exit from a parking and to try to turn right
to enter into a busy road without having the front of my hood entering into a traffic lane,

This is more and more crutial with all those small electric scooters or unicycles
which are difficult to spot and going sometime faster than other vehicles.

Tesla should be able to take a little heat if everything is on the up and up. It's not gonna make a significant difference. Customers can refute it by buying it and providing positive results.

Tesla has played the fake video game too and we don't need to bring up Elon's delirious promises. And youtube shills painting unrealistic FSDb performance.

I doubt Elon or Tesla would want a court battle to shine a light on potential FSDb dirt.
Your comparison makes zero sense. There's a huge difference between a promotional video made by a company and a video aired by an outside entity that slanders a product or company.

Reactions: Darmie
The child was moving toward the street so the motion may have made the difference. Still impressive.
I had a similar situation a couple years ago - I was driving about 20 MPH down a small town Main Street and a man was walking out from between 2 cars. He looked up and our eyes met so I knew he was waiting for me to pass before getting into his car but all my car saw was a guy coming out from between two cars and it slammed on the brakes. Three wasn't actually a danger but my Tesla behaved exactly as I would want it to.

advertisers are paying an average of seven million U.S. dollars to air a 30-second long commercial
It was a local ad.
advertisers are paying an average of seven million U.S. dollars to air a 30-second long commercial
This year’s ad cost $552,000 according to the Dawn Project, much less than the well-publicized ~$7 million price for a typical Super Bowl ad slot, because it ran as a regional ad and was not seen in all markets where the game aired.

Reactions: JHCCAZ
It was a local ad.

This year’s ad cost $552,000 according to the Dawn Project, much less than the well-publicized ~$7 million price for a typical Super Bowl ad slot, because it ran as a regional ad and was not seen in all markets where the game aired.

It’s still a ton of money to waste on a petty personal spat

It’s still a ton of money to waste on a petty personal spat
Not for a billionaire. This is pocket change. It also supports his competing product and attempts to move him into the national spotlight. He ran for US Senate in 2022. He even garnered 1.1% of the votes in California.

The letter from the NTSB to The Dawn Project tells them to stop using their seal and never mentions Tesla. So this tweet is even turning an NTSB admonishment into an endorsement of his claims through some squirrely perversion of the English language.