Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Dashboard for Tesla - the better app for your Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Your dedication and update frequency are much appreciated.

I have a question about the battery current:

Screenshot_20161121-142326.png

Can you tell me what I'm looking at? What does +51.0 mi per hour mean here, or -15.7kw?

Thanks,

Matt

Reactions: SG57
@Mattzilla , sure thing. For starters, there was a tiny bug in the last release (the battery current sign was flipped), this caused the battery current to be backwards when displayed. I've released a fix and it's already out in v1.16.2, be sure to grab the update when you can. I also see a silly layout issue on smaller screens in that screenshot, I've gone ahead and fixed that, it'll be out shortly.

Per the readings, you're looking at a snapshot of your Tesla's battery current as reported by Tesla's servers. The KW gauge indicates the power flowing from or into the battery, represented by red and green colors respectively. The adjacent mile-per-hour reading is a rated mile (308 Wh/mi) calculation based on the current power. This calculation may need adjusting in the future, but Tesla does not publish their Rated mile Wh/mi figure, so we have estimated it.

Looking at that screenshot, I see you're charging at 245 V, 24 A which calculates to 5.9 kW which gives you 18 rated mi per hour using 308 Wh/mi which matches Tesla's charging figure also indicated there, so the formula is accurate. Still, the fact your Tesla is reporting such a high battery current of 15 kW is peculiar, I am using Tesla's reported battery current figure in good faith, but I may need to look into it if it continues to report a discrepancy.

The last charge details display your last charge session's metrics in terms of energy and range added. These are metered and reported directly from Tesla's servers and not calculations.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mattzilla
Quick update - some bug fixes around battery current calculations, and something that started out as a joke, but I liked it so much I added it real fast.

I've added a honk horn option to the Plug-In Reminder, so now you can have your device and your Tesla yell at you for not having it plugged in. You can of course disable the option if you don't like it.

Remember, you can have multiple reminders set for all your Teslas, and you may close the app and sleep your device and trust the Plug-In reminder will still notify you, just as long as your device is powered on, and your device and Tesla have internet connectivity at the time of the reminder.

charge_upgrade2.jpg

Smart charging will be up next, then scheduled behaviors (such as smart sun roof control if the weather is raining, close automatically, etc).

Quick update - some bug fixes around battery current calculations, and something that started out as a joke, but I liked it so much I added it real fast.

I've added a honk horn option to the Plug-In Reminder, so now you can have your device and your Tesla yell at you for not having it plugged in. You can of course disable the option if you don't like it.

Remember, you can have multiple reminders set for all your Teslas, and you may close the app and sleep your device and trust the Plug-In reminder will still notify you, just as long as your device is powered on, and your device and Tesla have internet connectivity at the time of the reminder.

charge_upgrade2.jpg

Smart charging will be up next, then scheduled behaviors (such as smart sun roof control if the weather is raining, close automatically, etc).
Fantastic, is rain sense exposed in API?

The app is showing that firmware 2.46.16 is available however my car doesn't show this. I know the update is out there. The last time Dashboard displayed this, shortly my car received the OTA update. It's a been a few days now since seeing it on Dashboard.

The app is showing that firmware 2.46.16 is available however my car doesn't show this. I know the update is out there. The last time Dashboard displayed this, shortly my car received the OTA update. It's a been a few days now since seeing it on Dashboard.
He is taking the new notification reading based on at least 10 people having that firmware deployed in the wild. It could be hours, days, or weeks before you or I get it.

Reactions: SG57 and MP3Mike
He is taking the new notification reading based on at least 10 people having that firmware deployed in the wild. It could be hours, days, or weeks before you or I get it.

Or never, if a newer version is released. (Which there is a newer version but it has only been seen on AP2 cars so far.)

He might need to raise the threshold to something like 100 to have a better idea that it is a general release instead of a trial/targeted release.

@supratachophobia , sadly the rain sense is not exposed by the API, however I can make a noble attempt using the car's location and a weather service.

@notsoice , yes as others have clarified, I'm using @HankLloydRight 's Tesla Firmware Tracker to determine if there is a new firmware available. I'll up the threshold from 10 to 100 for better accuracy. Sadly, it will never be completely perfect as the API doesn't expose the firmware update available status, and I'm using a 3rd party service, and Tesla doesn't seem to offer the latest firmware to everybody at the same time. The official app has firmware update notifications using push notifications, something I can't tap into.

@Alex D , I've looked into it and you're definitely right! All sun roof move commands now return a bad request, unless it's a vent or close command. I am not doing anything different , so I suspect this is a change made on Tesla's side. I'll investigate it further, but odds are they've simply removed it because it wasn't being used by the official Tesla app anyway. This is bad news for everyone, I am limited by Tesla's APIs here, we all are. If Tesla doesn't want you remotely opening your sun roof past Vent, it's out of my hands. I've searched around and this is effecting everyone else, sad day :(

@theslimshadyist , I could change the app icon, but I don't feel the current icon is so grotesque or dated that it needs immediate changing lol, perhaps I'm bias.

@jimtelsa , iOS development is currently slated for the far future, I have a lot of cool ideas I want to see realized on Android before switching platforms entirely. Keep in mind, iOS is a lot more restricted than Android, so there are features on Android that simply cannot be done on iOS due to Apple's limitations (basically every background service- plug in reminder, camper mode, cabin temperature protection, smart charging, etc)

Last edited:
@notsoice , I read that too and have assessed what it could mean. In all scenarios, I have to agree with @supratachophobia here as I don't foresee Tesla even being able to implement the features Dashboard for Tesla currently has that require a background service solution (Plug-In Reminder, Smart Charging, Camper Mode, Cabin temperature protection, scheduled behaviors, etc).

My reasoning for this is because their app is cross-platform, evidence by the same look-and-feel, network traffic, etc on both platforms, and iOS does not have the concept of a background service (everything is run in the foreground). So unless Tesla dedicates development time specifically for its Android-user base, they simply cannot match this. Based on the attention Tesla has given its official app over the years (near-zero), I doubt they can do this not just once, but for every feature they're lacking. In all honesty, I'm going to lump Speed Clocking in there as well, I don't foresee Tesla dedicating time for a niche use-case as I have, but I welcome Tesla to prove me wrong of course.

The good news is I'll be reverse engineering the update once available for new API endpoints meaning new functionalities! This good news is compounded by the fact I don't have as many restrictions that Tesla follows that delays an app update by years. I'm looking forward to the update either way!

Couldn't Tesla or any of the app writers implement a background service on a server instead of the mobile app to enable all those features on any mobile platform?
Of course. Then the app would just become the interface for the cars internal scheduling system. Much like the current charge schedule now. In my opinion, this is where the scheduling should actually take place anyway, because then it is most reliable.

But they don't, and they didn't, and that's why we have a need for these apps.

But they don't, and they didn't, and that's why we have a need for these apps.

Exactly what I'm saying. We know Tesla didn't, but why can't SG57 do it? As you say, it shouldn't be app based for reliability, so why do it in the apps at all? That way, an app write doesn't need to rely on the background scheduling available in Android but not iOS.