Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

dashcam records a very zoomed in image when parked

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just added a USB drive to activate the dashcam so this maybe a known feature. When the car is driving the video recorded looks great and as expected. What I didn't expect were clips of video with an image that looked like it was taken with a decent telephoto lens when the car was parked supercharging. Maybe this was from side cameras? It was disconcerting in that some images were really clear of some guy filling up his car at the gas station some distance away.
is this expected? What am I looking at here?

Mike, new version of what (software / hardware)? I haven’t heard of any new car cam updates???

I don't believe that update has been released into the wilds, I thought it was just the few testers right now?

Version 2019.5.2 includes updates to the dashcam. And has been released in the wild. (But slowly as is standard practice for Tesla.)

2019-50-2-2-jpg.377313

Tesla Dashcam can record videos from side cameras in latest update

• Informative
Reactions: fseir and Runebane
So rather than have an option to turn on Sentry they just added two cams? I hope not as the drain will be very high and I want an option to have the dash cam ALWAYS on when the car is in drive and the Sentry on when i want to select it as needed. I don't want to have to turn the dash cam off to reduce drain and forget it is not on when driving. This entire "dash cam" feature is pretty crude and poorly implemented. A toggle button for the above described feature would be very useful. The dash cam now already adds to power drain when the car is parked and I really prefer not to burn hundreds of kWh just to be sure my dash cam is on when driving. Yes, the annual drain can be that high.

Reactions: Pkmmte
FYI the images from when the car was parked, seemed to be when I was either in the car or charging. I wasn't really taking note at the time of what I was doing and the images are so zoomed in I am not even sure of my location. One image is of a shopping trolley, the other of a guy filling up with gas some distance away.

So rather than have an option to turn on Sentry they just added two cams? I hope not as the drain will be very high and I want an option to have the dash cam ALWAYS on when the car is in drive and the Sentry on when i want to select it as needed. I don't want to have to turn the dash cam off to reduce drain and forget it is not on when driving. This entire "dash cam" feature is pretty crude and poorly implemented. A toggle button for the above described feature would be very useful. The dash cam now already adds to power drain when the car is parked and I really prefer not to burn hundreds of kWh just to be sure my dash cam is on when driving. Yes, the annual drain can be that high.

..not really sure what you're asking here?

Dashcam and Sentry mode are different things.

The dashcam was changed to also record 2 side cameras in addition to the front one- no change to anything otherwise as to when it records- which it does not do if the car is parked and sleeping.

Sentry is a new feature entirely, and only works in park and when you explicitly enable it each time.

FYI the images from when the car was parked, seemed to be when I was either in the car or charging. I wasn't really taking note at the time of what I was doing and the images are so zoomed in I am not even sure of my location. One image is of a shopping trolley, the other of a guy filling up with gas some distance away.

It has been raining this week in Los Angeles... I wonder if a drop of water landed on your windshield covering the camera. So somehow distance image got zoomed in to your camera lens. But then I think the image would have been upside down?

It has been raining this week in Los Angeles... I wonder if a drop of water landed on your windshield covering the camera. So somehow distance image got zoomed in to your camera lens. But then I think the image would have been upside down?
currently in NYC.. no rain so no.. :)
I am sure it will be obvious (either I am a delusional idiot or, it's using side cameras or doing something interesting when parked)

Always helpful to post actual images, vs a verbose description. Just saying.