Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dear Elon: just remove navigation from your cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla's navigation isn't Google's. This is a misconception. It uses Google map as a base and uses another algo for routing and POIs which comes from Mapbox.

That's why navigation isn't as good as Waze or Google or even Apple's.
I agree and know that Tesla just uses Google map data. It's not Google nav. But it's pretty good in my testing with my android phone. Most of the time it matches the routes of Google Nav.
But Waze is a different story. Yah, some people like Waze due to real-time traffic and some other features unique to Waze, I can see they find Tesla's nav is way inferior to Waze.
But to me, Tesla's Nav is pretty good, I am happy with it :)
I 100% agree with the notion of Tesla just gives up on Nav, and concentrate on other features. Just provide CarPlay and Android Auto connection, that's good enough. I see the same problem with other car manufactures. They keep offering their own Nav, but no one wants to use it since CarPlay and Android Auto has better Nav :). I do think it's all about the Business decision. They don't want their business to depend heavily on Google and Apple.

Reactions: cwerdna
You know whats garbage? Renting a new midsize or luxury car only to find out they don't have the navigation option.
I guess that's a problem years ago but I rented a '19 Altima in the summer of 2019 in Arizona and although it had no nav, I used CarPlay with it and mostly used Waze. Worked great. I was totally unfamiliar w/the areas I went to and put 400+ miles on the car.

With CarPlay, I have the choice of Google Maps, Apple Maps (which works nicely w/Apple Watch) and Waze... Sometimes, I use two of them at the same time (e.g. Apple Maps for guidance and Waze for its warnings).

I would prefer to use Google Navigation. But Tesla's
Rarely if ever use the built in navigation system. Used it today and did not displease. Utter garbage, period.. Maybe acceptable 10 years ago.

I'm curious if you could give us more details. Like anything else, the Tesla navigation is a tool. It's up to you to know how to use it. I recommend using it to navigate you on trips that you are already familiar with in order to learn how it provides directions.

Also, have you ever driven your Tesla on a far enough trip that you needed to use Superchargers? How would you do that kind of navigation?

ok, as wished, you are wrong :) but not in Apple map vs Google.

Tesla's navigation isn't Google's. This is a misconception. It uses Google map as a base and uses another algo for routing and POIs which comes from Mapbox.

That's why navigation isn't as good as Waze or Google or even Apple's.

There is no way Tesla isn’t using Google’s traffic data as well. I’ll see traffic jams in the middle of no where and there just isn’t enough Tesla’s around to have enough statistics to provide identical traffic info.

Do I have proof they don’t use the same routing too. No, but I’ve never seen traffic or the default routes differ. Timing of the data sometimes can be slightly off with a slight lag on Tesla if conditions are changing fast.

Just have not seen any difference. Only difference is lack of some extra goodies google maps has. I noticed Google Maps on Android offers some features that Google Maps on iPhone does not.

Speed limit warning feature showing your speed and posted speed and a color coding when you are over and crowd sourced alerts (like police ahead).

But Tesla finally does the speed limit thing finally correct. I’m not sure where Tesla gets speed limit info. But I suspect could be Google or a mix.

Tesla might be using Google PLUS their own data. Or might buy it from a third party that does. It’s extremely similar.

And both are biased to use highways.

Also keep in mind I’m sure Google’s algorithms have many parameters and Tesla might choose slightly different ones (like more biased toward highway). Since Auto pilot is better on highway.

Maybe folks that deal with heavy traffic daily can see larger differences. I wouldn’t know.

I guess that's a problem years ago but I rented a '19 Altima in the summer of 2019 in Arizona and although it had no nav, I used CarPlay with it and mostly used Waze. Worked great. I was totally unfamiliar w/the areas I went to and put 400+ miles on the car.

With CarPlay, I have the choice of Google Maps, Apple Maps (which works nicely w/Apple Watch) and Waze... Sometimes, I use two of them at the same time (e.g. Apple Maps for guidance and Waze for its warnings).

I will still run multiple apps, one being the Tesla Nav and the phone running an alternate route on Google Maps or Waze. And have the phone mounted just to the right of the steering wheel. Nothing wrong with more data. But normally Tesla Nav is fine and I don’t have to deal with traffic or accidents all that often.

Personally, I like the built in Tesla navigation, especially with regards to planning charging stops. I’ve tried the other generic charging route planning apps on my other CCS capable EVs and the Tesla Nav is much better. Granted it’s Tesla specific but the integration with the car is it’s biggest plus. Seeing the car start to precondition the battery before arriving at the designated Supercharger is huge.

I for one have no complaints and like others have said, there’s always your phone if you want something different.

Reactions: Acps110 and SR-75
I suspect many people who have used Android Auto and/or CarPlay a lot on other cars wouldn't mind if Tesla spent less effort on their in-car nav and diverted some resources to get Android Auto and CarPlay working on Teslas.

I use CarPlay all the time in my Bolt and have used it w/great results on it and two rental cars: an '18 Hyundai Elantra and '19 Nissan Altima. I had the Altima for awhile and put maybe 400 miles on it while traveling in Arizona... Tesla is increasingly the odd man out while most other major automakers support one or both in many of their vehicles at this point, even cheap ones.

I also have a Bolt and Tesla (Y). i use Car Play on the Bolt and of course Tesla navigation on the Y. Not sure what the big deal is. Voice navigation commands work just fine for me on the Y. The Bolt Car Play means I lose some functions (eg outside temp, clunkier entertainment) when its functioning.

Love my Tesla Nav. Works better than any car I have had before. Huge screen plus verbal turn by turn audio prompts. Tough screen reacts quickly and can zoom or reorient easily.

Now most feel that their smart phones are even better, but that is the case with most OEM auto manufacturers.

Bonus is that Tesla seems to constantly update their info, includes current traffic congestion and even re-routes on the fly if conditions change en route.

It also shows location and availability of Superchargers. Shows those that are within range, and how long to charge to get to your final destination. Shows the power of the Superchargers, the number of available stalls and what type of conveniences are nearby.

I suspect many people who have used Android Auto and/or CarPlay a lot on other cars wouldn't mind if Tesla spent less effort on their in-car nav and diverted some resources to get Android Auto and CarPlay working on Teslas.

I use CarPlay all the time in my Bolt and have used it w/great results on it and two rental cars
Couldn't agree more, especially if you've used Waze on a larger touch screen like in the Bolt. Really no need for Tesla to waste time on their Nav app... other manufacturers have realized that and don't provide a native Nav system. Just incorporate Android Auto or CarPlay as a Tesla app and give owners a choice. Free up your code monkeys so they can work on serious issues like being locked out of your own car or the car turning catatonic once you get in.

Would be helpful to explain why you found it garbage (to the point it should be removed). I used it recently and it didn't seem any worse than google maps (looks like it might even be the same).

The map has a mind on its own- it zooms in and out, can't save settings such as map stays on a "north" direction vs direction of travel. Yes all other manufactures navigation system are crap also. I am basing it on Google Maps (think this is the best system) and Waze. I guess it is like using Google maps and then trying Apple maps- not in the same league.

Rarely if ever use the built in navigation system. Used it today and did not displease. Utter garbage, period.. Maybe acceptable 10 years ago.

Using a phone for nav is so silly when you have Tesla built-in nav on a huge screen and Supercharger and battery pre-heating integration, plus built-in fiddle-free voice control. Fiddling with your tiny-screened phone whilst driving isn't best-practices for safe and attentive driving, assuming you're not using voice control.

The amount of attention it takes to see a tiny screen from the wireless charging pad is objectively more distracting than seeing the big Tesla nav screen.

Why would you want to fiddle with a phone's nav in a modern vehicle? That's what you do in a 1996 Daihatsu Charade when you're 17 and your phone's tech outshines your car—not a Tesla.

By the way, 'did not displease' means you were pleased. This is similar to 'could care less' which means you care some and *could* care less but don't.

Last edited: