Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dear Tesla - From an Early Model S Reservation Holder

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems the basic answer is defer and don't lock in until the info an individual needs is known. That'll obviously delay your delivery date, so you have to decide which is more important: delivery date or known vehicle specs. Personally, I'll delay if need be. I'm not spending this level of money without feeling positive giddy about my choice.

I can appreciate, since even at P2840 I'm likely in this boat, that it sucks to be that early in line and not realize the specs weren't going to be final when you had to commit. In my mind, the only people that really got screwed were Sigs since they can't really defer, but their seems to be no lack (based on the waiting list) of people willing to spend extra money to be early at all costs.

One thing I think Tesla can do better at is spelling out what's changed with each version. Did Tesla spell out what changed between Roadster versions?

It would be bad business practice to demo one model and sell another (which, to be clear, is not the same as differently optioned), which is unfortunately the situation today since the cars sitting in the stores are not production level cars. Far better to say "this is a 1.0 model car, but you'd be getting the 1.1 version shipping very shortly and you can see the explanation of changes at <some url>."

> Capitalist Oppressor opined: (my) affinity for quality cupholders that securely hold any size cup I put into it. I've owned vehicles where the cup holders are just like the stock Model S setup, and I know the trick is to reach with your left hand across your body to pick up the cup.

2001 Chevy Malibu has the finest cupholder imagineable: Left side, pulls out of dash, rubber lined to retain heat/cold, never gets in your way as you enter/exit car. Tesla should copy this exactly, even if they have to pay GM. Plus, driver has the console cupholder for truly huge drinks, etc. But don't stop there, copy the Malibu's dashboard which is plain & simple, easy to read: 55mph@12noon, fuel guage & temp guage nicely paired. Tesla would drive the TEMP guage with a composit MAX of the Motor/PEM/Batt signals. The driver doesn't care *which* of the three is hotter than the others, but just that all three are in the OK range. He can pull off the highway and peer at the 17in screen if the TEMP guage starts acting up. Likewise the FUEL guage would indicate a simple averaging of SOC, more detail available from the 17in screen. And the 17in screen should be OFF if car in gear & parking brake off.

These suggestions are more for the upcoming Tesla models.
--

Last edited:
My assumption was that most garages are like mine with one 15 amp circuit plus the main power to the house. So any EV purchase would require installing a charging circuit. Whether the circuit was ran inside the garage or outside the garage, the cost should be about the same (e.g. no extra cost just because it's outside).
It can be true, but depends on specific circumstances.

A 15A/110V line will be enough for some people. A 85 kWh Model S might take 4 days to charge from empty to full, but if you plug it in for 16 hours per day, that's 65 miles/day That's enough for the average driver. The SOC if you drive 40 miles/day wil vary between 100% and 86.7%, and if you empty the battery one day, the SOC will get back up to 100% over ~12 days, still driving 40 miles per day.

I'll probably get my Model X before I move into the house I'll be building, which means that I'll possibly have to settle for maybe 5A/230V for about a year. (Where I live now, 5 garages have a shared 13A circuit. If I take more than 5A that might cause issues when the other users plug in whatever they want to plug in.) I'll be able to live with it if I think ahead a bit. Maybe I'll have to supplement with CHAdeMO or Supercharger occasionally.

Maybe if they didn't have to spend all kinds of time dealing with impatient customers they'd be able to build the cars...

On the same token, many people are disappointed by the way Tesla has leaked information through blogs and word of mouth. They could have easily updated the Model S FAQ on the Tesla Motors webpage with some of the major questions and link this forum to the updated FAQ. If Tesla had not started to delete equipment off the Model S after people had locked in their orders there would not be this type of backlash. People want to know what exactly they are buying before they pay for it!

On the same token, many people are disappointed by the way Tesla has leaked information through blogs and word of mouth. They could have easily updated the Model S FAQ on the Tesla Motors webpage with some of the major questions and link this forum to the updated FAQ. If Tesla had not started to delete equipment off the Model S after people had locked in their orders there would not be this type of backlash. People want to know what exactly they are buying before they pay for it!

Exactly. I had hoped that this thread wouldn't contain discussion about specifics of features (alas, it has)...but this thread is really about communication. Of course I can and will defer if necessary, but honestly to be taking orders with so many unknowns just doesn't seem right...even for early adopters who acknowledge and accept the unknowns.

Tesla, I am a dog. Please throw me a bone.

Maybe if they didn't have to spend all kinds of time dealing with impatient customers they'd be able to build the cars...

+1. Of course we all hoped that Tesla would be ahead of schedule but quite honestly I don't see where they've let anybody down yet. We'd all also like more details and more communication but we also need to recognize that Tesla has been more open and forthcoming than any other auto manufacturer, period.

Tesla is going where no-one has gone before, IMO Model S is not perfect and it probably never will be for everyone, so early adopters should recognize that there are still certain things that are fluid. If anyone doesn't feel comfortable with that Tesla has a deferment procedure to take them to a place where they will feel comfortable.

It can be true, but depends on specific circumstances.

A 15A/110V line will be enough for some people.

I'm pretty sure you need to have a 20A/115V circuit as a minimum but, at least in the Roadster, it's been shown that the 40A/240V is the most economical way to charge so it's probably worthwhile spending the money to get that.

Sorry, I didn't mean to generalize. But there are lots of subtropical people (AZ, some FL) who have scrapped the idea.

Hi Andy,

Although the initial reports in sunny climates have been encouraging, it may be premature to draw final conclusions from an 8 minute test ride where admittedly most peoples' focus was on the handling of the car.

It is true that a photo of the monsterous cover over the rollbar has raised serious concerns even among those of us favoring a sunshade. However, it is Tesla's lack of communication regarding the design of the sunshade that has caused folks to perhaps reach premature conclusions. Those of us in subtropical climates need to have a concrete design of the sunshade from Tesla before we can intelligently express an opinion that balances aethetics against function.

When that design is provided, Tesla would be wise to offer it as a free option. In other words, give customers the option of having it installed or handed to them for installation at a later date (at an additional cost) should it be found that a shade is necessary.

Larry

Sorry, I didn't mean to generalize. But there are lots of subtropical people (AZ, some FL) who have scrapped the idea.

I agree with Larry. Based on my short test drive I'm going to try to drive with the sunscreen recessed, but I definitely still want the option of having it for one for when I have passengers, if the sun ever bothers me on longer drivers, or for any other reason (like maximizing range by keeping the cabin cooler). No question that the its something I want in the car even if my default is to try to not have it in use.

Hey! When did you see inside my garage? :redface::scared:
+1 Doug_G...people, just let these guys build cars...:smile:
This reminds me of gaming forums. People scream about icon updates as "getting in the way" of combat algorithm fixes.

Apples and oranges.

If improving the communication of the marketing team slows down the production line, then Tesla has a serious division of labor problem.

Well done with your letter.

I'm not going to list all the little questions I would like answers to, but I will give a general statement: anything that affects decisions on options chosen for the car should be resolved by now, since customers are being asked to finalize. (Examples: Supercharger Access, cost of second mobile connector, etc.)

I'm pretty sure you need to have a 20A/115V circuit as a minimum but, at least in the Roadster, it's been shown that the 40A/240V is the most economical way to charge so it's probably worthwhile spending the money to get that.

Roadster can charge at 12A from a 15A/115V circuit. Not sure what Model S can do (would be surprised if it couldn't since 20A circuits are relatively rare in the wild).