Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Death of a center screen / touch screen after warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also had this happen to me earlier this month. Both my screens froze up driving home from work. I rebooted them and only the dash poped up. The MCU was completely dead. The dash showed kph units (my preference) but displayed speed in MPG. Odometer was gone, no ability to control anything on the side panels of the dash. Or open my charge port (i know how to manually open it) the correct way. I don't know if I could charge or not, didn't need to try thankfully.

I checked fuses, and tried rebooting before calling Tesla.

This was very concerning because I couldn't change HVAC, sunroof, or really any settings without the screen. Tesla wanted me to wait 3 weeks to get a service appointment a lot farther away, but I eventually got one the following day (over an hour on the phone with service to get this appointment).

They told me my MCU was dead, I ended up buying a new one. And they told me my old part was "restricted" and I couldn't have it back. After calling them 3-4 times they agreed to let me have it back. And promised 3 times it would be in the car. Wife picked up the car, didn't check for the MCU (they told her it was in the trunk). The next day I had to drive 100 miles round trip to pick up my dead MCU.

My car was build Dec 2012, MCU screen was replaced for bubbles in 2016, bubbles started in 2015, under warranty (took about 6 trips before they decided to fix the bubble issue gratis).

This is a huge worry of mine. I was almost stuck with a borderline usable car for 3+ weeks becasue Tesla didn't think my MCU dying was critical. Not only that spending $3k becasue of Tesla burning out Flash memory over 5.5 years, is stupid to replace a $3k MCU. Pretty cheesed off that Tesla basically put a death timer of 4-6 years on this $3000 part.

Hopefully I can repair my old MCU to have a spare part in another 4 years or so when this one burns up.

When you finally go out of warranty, or dont care enough to void it (or lie about the following):

There are folks here on this board who will resolder a new flash memory piece on the board for much less than a new MCU.
Tesla now more than ever needs to start letting independent mechanics work on Teslas out of warranty. I hope they are moving towards this. The Tesla service centers are way over burdened. I wonder what Tesla is so afraid of.

Reactions: LoL Rick
Tesla now more than ever needs to start letting independent mechanics work on Teslas out of warranty. I hope they are moving towards this. The Tesla service centers are way over burdened. I wonder what Tesla is so afraid of.

If the recent Faraday news isn't evidence enough that proprietary company secrets will make or break an industry....

I can't fault Tesla to an extent for keeping it all close, as changing your drive shaft in an F150 doesnt require software access. I guess a consumer version of the tools we need was not on their mind, with limited time and money. Not defending, just thinking outloud.

When you finally go out of warranty, or dont care enough to void it (or lie about the following):

There are folks here on this board who will resolder a new flash memory piece on the board for much less than a new MCU.
can we have more info on how this process works? I have a warranty until June 2021. I can imagine the screen will die in July of 2021 or 2022. Are you talking specifically about Ingineer here? It would be great if we could ask Tesla service centers to turn off this logging. On cars without AP (like mine), it seems the logging is fairly useless to them. They can still log some things from time to time, like super charging sessions, but don't need to know the speed of the car every ten seconds, for example.

If the recent Faraday news isn't evidence enough that proprietary company secrets will make or break an industry....

I can't fault Tesla to an extent for keeping it all close, as changing your drive shaft in an F150 doesnt require software access. I guess a consumer version of the tools we need was not on their mind, with limited time and money. Not defending, just thinking outloud.
but Faraday was also destined for failure for other reasons. Their business model made no sense.

can we have more info on how this process works? I have a warranty until June 2021. I can imagine the screen will die in July of 2021 or 2022. Are you talking specifically about Ingineer here? It would be great if we could ask Tesla service centers to turn off this logging. On cars without AP (like mine), it seems the logging is fairly useless to them. They can still log some things from time to time, like super charging sessions, but don't need to know the speed of the car every ten seconds, for example.

Ingineer could be capable of doing it. I'm talking specifically about @tedsk , who did mine when my eMMC failed (again) and I didn't want to replace the entire thing (again)

Reactions: tedsk