Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Deciding on second EV, a non-Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well look at that! There's an electric Mini! Thanks! More stuff to read about while I wait for my Tesla....... 🙄

I loved my MINI electric then I discovered the i4 and only could love one Bimmer/MINI so the Cooper SE went :)

ABBE9372-DBE9-45F5-8DF3-7B85E84A23C3.jpeg

B611FCA0-C7BB-4EC3-ADD9-7FE3567DF0B9.jpeg

Reactions: bobbyjae
The Mach-E is a very close second to the Model Y for me. It's supposed to have excellent handling and ticks a lot of boxes for what I want in the Model Y. The Audi is interesting but I think it's still pretty expensive.

I sometimes wonder if the Mini Cooper will come out in an E version. That's what I think of as a style opposite of the Tesla - lots of round dials and buttons. I love the way they look.

I would love to have an EV version of the Miata or some other small, manuverable convertible. I understand the weight would change the handling dynamics, but as a second (or third) car I don't need 300 miles of range, so RWD with a 130KW motor and a 25 kWh (usable) battery pack would be fine and would keep the weight down.

Keith

I am torn on deciding the second EV, definitely getting another Tesla is too boring. Looking at the used audi e-tron, or March E. But...
Before I decide, I want to experience a non-tesla ev. I borrow my brother-in-law's chevy bolt over the weekend for a road trip with a charging network in Bay Area, California. Here is what I have to install apps and prepare
Electrify America
EVgo
EV Connect
ChargePoint
SemaConnect
Even though I have all that apps, still have issues with charging. The road trip charging is day and night when you compare with Tesla. Imo, if you buy a non-Tesla EV, then you should expect to use it for your daily commute where you can charge at home. Public charing is not there yet for non-tesla EV

What do you guys think? Can anyone share the experience with public charing for non-tesla EV? I really don't want to buy another Tesla for a second EV, but I really "turn off" by the third-party public charing.
We have an f-150 lightning and a wrangler 4XE. Never bored.

Electrify America for the Ford is expensive, but it charges close to 150kw most of the times. But it does not have as good coverage as Tesla. If you can charge at home then no issues. For infrequent road trips should work too.

Also I do not like to stop at Walmarts to charge...

This tells me all I need to know about the reliability of US News car ratings.....

"The Suburban is the winner of our 2022 Best Large SUV for Families award, despite having a reliability score that's on the cusp of being considered Fair and below average." :oops:

Theyre JD powers numbers, not US News. JD Power themselves say they update numbers as time goes on so a review in 2022 is not always the full story.

Last edited: