Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Decline Foundation Series, but maintain place in line?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Black306

Oct 14, 2019
Sacramento
For those that received a Foundation Series (FS) offering, is there an option to decline an FS but still keep a place in line for when non-FS CTs become available? Not interested in FSD or really any of the other options that come with it. Highly doubt my RN# is low enough to receive that option, but curious if it is an option if I do get an FS offering.

For those that received a Foundation Series (FS) offering, is there an option to decline an FS but still keep a place in line for when non-FS CTs become available? Not interested in FSD or really any of the other options that come with it. Highly doubt my RN# is low enough to receive that option, but curious if it is an option if I do get an FS offering.

No, there isn't....
It's a well-equipped vehicle. Only selectable options (according to my memory) are:

- Extended Battery Pack $16K
- Wrap in White or Black for $6K
- Dual Motor or Tri-Motor

I hope this helps,

beewang

Reactions: Black306
Just don’t act in the email invite. That maintains your place in line.
I like the idea you are expressing here; I just don't know the veracity of it.

As far as I understand, Tesla has never contractually bound themselves to follow any particular order with the million+ reservation holders. So I don't believe we can say that passing on a Foundation Series invite necessarily maintains one's place in line.

And I say this as a "Day 2" reservation holder from 2019 (RN11275...), who has received an email from Tesla two days ago which allows me to configure a Foundation Series vehicle.

I don't want to pay the extra dollars and lose the US Fed tax credit on the $80k dual-motor Cybertruck that I really want to configure; w tax credit, my cost should be $67k. If I take the Foundation Series offer, my cost jumps to $100k; a 50% increase to get a bunch of things I don't want.

But I have no good understanding of how my reservation will be treated once the "limited-edition Foundation Series" process has run its course. Tesla might very well choose to not offer me an early spot to configure once the Foundation game is in their rear-view mirror.

As far as I understand, Tesla has never contractually bound themselves to follow any particular order with the million+ reservation holders. So I don't believe we can say that passing on a Foundation Series invite necessarily maintains one's place in line.

And I say this as a "Day 2" reservation holder from 2019 (RN11275...), who has received an email from Tesla two days ago which allows me to configure a Foundation Series vehicle.

I don't want to pay the extra dollars and lose the US Fed tax credit on the $80k dual-motor Cybertruck that I really want to configure; w tax credit, my cost should be $67k. If I take the Foundation Series offer, my cost jumps to $100k; a 50% increase to get a bunch of things I don't want.

But I have no good understanding of how my reservation will be treated once the "limited-edition Foundation Series" process has run its course. Tesla might very well choose to not offer me an early spot to configure once the Foundation game is in their rear-view mirror.
Tesla is the only company that can get away with the amount of bait and switch, redirects, and an egregiously limited amount of info! Regardless of the switch up to early reservation holders with a truck that is 30-80% different than what early reserves put reservations on (depending on how heavily you weigh the differences), What is the point of sending people the ability to configure, THEN make them wait for an unknown amount of time for the ability to even schedule a delivery date, THEN wait for an unknown amount of time for THEM to notify you that you can review the agreement, THEN wait for an unknown amount of time for them to tell you when you can make final payment, THEN wait for an unknown amount of time for them to tell you when you accept the delivery terms. lol!!

First stage: 4 years
Configured truck
2nd stage: it’s been over two weeks since configuring and no ability to even schedule a delivery date.

3rd,4th stages..:no ability to get even general dates… holidays, people going out of town, not to mention it’s $100,000 truck that for most people requires some sort of finance prep. The scenario is even worse for those that can show up with a check.

Just give people that want your product the ability to slightly schedule their lives around paying for it and receiving it… it’s just f’n silly.

Tesla is the only company that can get away with the amount of bait and switch, redirects, and an egregiously limited amount of info!...
I guess you've never bought a high-demand new vehicle from legacy car companies. You will be lucky if the dealer doesn't stick on a $20-40K screw-you fee on top of MSRP. And you have no idea when your car will show up or if the dealer will sell it to some other sucker that pays even more.

At least Tesla provides everyone the same deal, and you don't have to take it. Tesla like everyone else sells the premium versions first and rolls out lower-cost versions later on. Again, this is the standard business practice in the industry. I agree many would love to get the cheapest version first, but Tesla has sold the premium versions first for every vehicle release since at least 2012 - so nothing new or surprising.

When I followed the link for the foundation series, that’s what appeared, but when I just logged onto my account without following the link it was to configure a non-FS version. Also, typically Tesla offers the option to complete the configuration just before it’s built. The 2-motor FS version lists FSD capability, not full FSD.. I assume FSD would be offered then/before final configuration.

I guess you've never bought a high-demand new vehicle from legacy car companies. You will be lucky if the dealer doesn't stick on a $20-40K screw-you fee on top of MSRP. And you have no idea when your car will show up or if the dealer will sell it to some other sucker that pays even more.

At least Tesla provides everyone the same deal, and you don't have to take it. Tesla like everyone else sells the premium versions first and rolls out lower-cost versions later on. Again, this is the standard business practice in the industry. I agree many would love to get the cheapest version first, but Tesla has sold the premium versions first for every vehicle release since at least 2012 - so nothing new or surprising.
lol. Silly post

wh
When I followed the link for the foundation series, that’s what appeared, but when I just logged onto my account without following the link it was to configure a non-FS version. Also, typically Tesla offers the option to complete the configuration just before it’s built. The 2-motor FS version lists FSD capability, not full FSD.. I assume FSD would be offered then/before final configuration.
What’s the price?

FSD capability is FSD. Thy just use the verbiage because it is still in beta and will continue to be for years. I had "FSD" on a monthly subscription and it said FSD capability for the order.

You are also assuming that "there's a line".

With the Model 3 and the Model Y, there seems as if there were actually hundreds of lines.
  • Certain states got deliveries before other states.
  • Specific models got built before others.
  • Specific colors go out on specific weeks.
It would be pretty stupid for Tesla to throw away information about when you ordered the vehicle. But if there was a list and you were 12879 on the list and you don't order the Foundation model, you can be assured that your place in line has moved.
And if you happen to now be 155534 on the list, the options that you choose and the location that you are will move you as well. For example, if you want a RWD, it's not starting to 2025. So if that's what you want, you place may then be 523323.

Tesla isn't going to purposely drop you from the list. But don't assume that the list is purely sequential.

FSD capability is FSD. Thy just use the verbiage because it is still in beta and will continue to be for years. I had "FSD" on a monthly subscription and it said FSD capability for the order.
I disagree and was rather disappointed to read my list of features after I ordered a Cybertruck; it said Basic Autopilot, not FSD. The hardware will be there to use FSD, but the software won’t allow it until I pay extra. My current and previous Teslas have FSD; monthly fees weren’t an option when I bought them.

I disagree and was rather disappointed to read my list of features after I ordered a Cybertruck; it said Basic Autopilot, not FSD. The hardware will be there to use FSD, but the software won’t allow it until I pay extra. My current and previous Teslas have FSD; monthly fees weren’t an option when I bought them.
I am sorry, but you are confused about something. I am in the same position as you if you are awaiting your Foundation Series. There is no place to order monthly FSD on the app or on the website. Where are you seeing this?

It will have two things available on your order purchase. It will say "Base Autopilot" and "Full Self-Driving Capability." Full Self-Driving Capability is FSD.

53429125957_2e5b1211fc_o.jpg

Reactions: BinsTezla