Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Decreased Residual Value

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My lease is up in June after 3 years and I am going to buy the car out. I really do not see any benefit to getting a new MX currently (have P90DL) as "self driving" is a mirage and current batteries offer little extra range. Most of us early buyers are likely waiting for next gen battery packs and that is probably 2-3 years away. Current price cuts make little difference since lower trade in is offset by lower cost for new (unless moving to a different car company product) and those who bought at high prices recently will likely have their cars for a long time. What burns me more is that as of a year ago, our BC provincial taxes add 25% to cost of cars over 160K and this is currently adding 800 dollars to my monthly lease costs.

Are you buying extended warranty? I’m in Vancouver.

Previous lease documents had 60%+ and for an msrp of 154K that 9% difference translates to about -/+ $385/mo. Discount honestly would just be to bring those previous models down to what you’d be able to order now. If it was lower due to price adjustments and showroom models then it would be even better.

I see, I had presumed they would have adjusted stock prices by now. In the UK, inventory cars have dropped in price accordingly. I wish we could get 60%+ residuals!

Sure. I just don't see what they expect to achieve by pissing off other Tesla owners at superchargers and potential buyers at the stores. Tesla didn't drop the price because they want to make less money. Let's assume it was done for long term survival, which ultimately has more effect on their residuals than anything else. This is the price of relatively early adoption in a market that's about to explode in the next few years. There are a lot more worthy causes to protest in China than the price of a f****** Tesla!

No doubt! How about starting with freedom of speech against the gov't. Oh wait, any negative words about Winnie the Pooh, their president, will land them in jail. Or how about just leaving Taiwan, a democratic country, alone and not try to invade and bring it back into "the motherland", Lol. How about not building artificial islands and declare sovereignty thousands of nautical miles away from your own coast line?

Maybe I was early, but within reason, Tesl will not just magically start lowering prices and factors to generate an awesome deal I was hoping to get. They still gotta make money!

I don't quite follow? Now they have reduced the price of new models significantly, inventory stock will be forced down unless people are into the idea of paying over new list price for a nearly new car.

I don't quite follow? Now they have reduced the price of new models significantly, inventory stock will be forced down unless people are into the idea of paying over new list price for a nearly new car.
Sorry. Typing on phone and don’t check what it spits out. Lol.

I was trying to say I might have asked for quotes before the prices were adjusted accordingly. They must have decreased the residuals to offset the discounts. Because those inventory ones even with name changes should technically have the msrp of how they were built. Unless I’m wrong about that and they can change it however they want.

I was searching for high msrp models, around 60%+ residual and a huge discount to bring them down to current prices of new.

Yes. As a current new model x owner 100d and loosing the 15% Residual Value on the exact same model x 100d that my neighbor can buy for 20k less is insane. As much as I live my car the company is unstable.

Their is no new model. No new battery technology. No new hardware to super seed. And then follow the natural depreciation curve.

I'm luck I leased. So this drop actually will sit with Tesla model in 4 years. And then I will simply buy the 2019 model x that is 20k cheaper than mine.

I just bought my 13th Tesla yesterday, I made the mistake 1 time of buying a new one for this exact reason.

Tesla is constantly adding options and whatnot that affects the price.

Never again.

No change in the residual for current leases. But those will be able to return car and not absorb that loss. Although if they did update the residual with the current decrease in price. I will buy the car at end of lease.

Sadly those who financed. Are stuck eating the price decrease already. Almost like the US mortgage crisis in 2008. People are holding a loan that is not worth the value of the loan.

Sorry. Typing on phone and don’t check what it spits out. Lol.

I was trying to say I might have asked for quotes before the prices were adjusted accordingly. They must have decreased the residuals to offset the discounts. Because those inventory ones even with name changes should technically have the msrp of how they were built. Unless I’m wrong about that and they can change it however they want.

I was searching for high msrp models, around 60%+ residual and a huge discount to bring them down to current prices of new.

No change in the residual for current leases. But those will be able to return car and not absorb that loss. Although if they did update the residual with the current decrease in price. I will buy the car at end of lease.

Sadly those who financed. Are stuck eating the price decrease already. Almost like the US mortgage crisis in 2008. People are holding a loan that is not worth the value of the loan.
Haha, even worse for early adopters like us. Oh well, at least we still enjoy the car. Upgrades could be in the future.

Not sure what i'm going to do with massive price drops. I went to Tesla today to buy a performance X because I was told that if you are an exsisting model X/S owner that you get ludercouris for free along with the new motor and suspention on new builds. So I went to the local Tesla sales office and asked them about it. They confirmed that was correct. My new build was going to cost around 112k with FSD and ludercouris. Which was a couple of thousand less then what I paid for my X75 in May of 17. I was courious of what they would give me for my X They put in a request for a buy out of my car and they came back with 51K....lol. I asked them if that was a joke and they said no but if I took it to Carmax and they gave me a better buy out they said they would match it and that was only Carmax that they would do it with. So here is my delima I love my X but luckily I have a 3 year lease on it with exactly 1 year left on it. They tell me that they will give me 51K for it today. I am wondering what it will be worth next year when my lease is up. My residual at the end of the lease is 69k. At which I thought at the time was reasonable and I would have gladly paid for it because it has every option and free lifetime super charging plus it will be getting the new MCU3 when it becomes availiable. I am not rethinking my thoughts on buying it after the lease is up but I dont want to overpay on something that is not even close the worth of the residual value. I guess im just lucky I leased it instead of buying it. I am also rethinking about buying the new performance X.

There will not ever be a Tesla purchased under a lease when there was an EV tax credit in place worth buying.

They increased the residual by $7500 to reduce the payments with the tax credit.

you paid more than $112k (without tax/fees ) for an x75?

you paid more than $112k (without tax/fees ) for an x75?[/QUOTE]

Sadly I did...like I said I can buy a brand new performance X with lud and the new front motor and adaptive suspension and 10 to 15% more range for the same price I paid.

Tesla.jpg