Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Decreasing rated range.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did my first full charge since I've been on 5.6 and it was 248mi @ 15600mi (11 months) 90% is at 225-8
Thanks for the data, Zex.

I've said it before, I'll say it again: We should remove the word "full" from our vocabulary.

=100%: Trip charge (new name) / Range charge (old name)
<=90%: Daily charge (new name) / Standard charge (old name)

Saying "full charge" just introduces confusion and is almost always followed by a number because nobody knows what you actually mean. As such the "full" qualifier has negative to zero value, IMO.

Thanks for the data, Zex.

I've said it before, I'll say it again: We should remove the word "full" from our vocabulary.

=100%: Trip charge (new name) / Range charge (old name)
<=90%: Daily charge (new name) / Standard charge (old name)

Saying "full charge" just introduces confusion and is almost always followed by a number because nobody knows what you actually mean. As such the "full" qualifier has negative to zero value, IMO.

Since I'm likely to forget this nomenclature, if I post again on this topic with my data, I'm just going to the include the % of SOC rather than give a name to a any level of charge.

I normally charge to 60% SOC. Back in July when the car was new, I got 185 km rated range after a charge. Now it is down to 165 km.

However, after analysing my recorded telemetry data (end of August onwards), I believe it is mostly a result of reduced battery pack temperature, in other words, the rated range estimate takes battery pack temperature into account to account for the reduced capacity of a colder pack.

Since I cannot measure pack temperature, I used the outside temperature reading. There is a strong correlation between temperature and range. The high outlier at 10 ˚C is the charge after I did more driving than usual in one day (possibly warmer pack?) while the two low outliers at 7.0 and 7.5 ˚C are charges after the car was sitting unused for 2 days (possibly cooler pack).

Hopefully the battery heater will kick on long before -20 ˚C :)
RangeLoss.PNG

I normally charge to 60% SOC. Back in July when the car was new, I got 185 km rated range after a charge. Now it is down to 165 km.

However, after analysing my recorded telemetry data (end of August onwards), I believe it is mostly a result of reduced battery pack temperature, in other words, the rated range estimate takes battery pack temperature into account to account for the reduced capacity of a colder pack.

Since I cannot measure pack temperature, I used the outside temperature reading. There is a strong correlation between temperature and range. The high outlier at 10 ˚C is the charge after I did more driving than usual in one day (possibly warmer pack?) while the two low outliers at 7.0 and 7.5 ˚C are charges after the car was sitting unused for 2 days (possibly cooler pack).

Hopefully the battery heater will kick on long before -20 ˚C :)
View attachment 34196

Interesting, but I'm trying extrapolate to my car and a lot of others 60s that were delivered in the winter, and saw consistently higher numbers than we did over the warmer summer months. Temperature might explain some of the numbers, but it doesn't seem to be the dominant factor.

Interesting, but I'm trying extrapolate to my car and a lot of others 60s that were delivered in the winter, and saw consistently higher numbers than we did over the warmer summer months. Temperature might explain some of the numbers, but it doesn't seem to be the dominant factor.

My 60 was delivered in January but that was several firmware versions ago and I'm sure the range calculations where quite different. For one, a max charge never ever showed more than 197 miles for some weird reason. Also I remember getting concerned once when my range seemingly went down 32 miles overnight due to cold weather. I just don't think you can extrapolate anything from the older firmware to the newer versions.

My 60 was delivered in January but that was several firmware versions ago and I'm sure the range calculations where quite different. For one, a max charge never ever showed more than 197 miles for some weird reason. Also I remember getting concerned once when my range seemingly went down 32 miles overnight due to cold weather. I just don't think you can extrapolate anything from the older firmware to the newer versions.

True enough re firmware versions and old bug that maxed out rated miles at 197. OTOH, I've been on 4.5 for several months and rated miles have consistently decreased over the warm summer months. Nothing huge, but no upward movement and maybe 1 rated mile less per month until the last couple weeks which now seems to have gone down a bit more. Perhaps the latter decrease is weather related, but the earlier decreases during warmest months doesn't fit with that. Nothing that I lose sleep over, but also not something I'm totally ignoring since more data is better than less for us lowly 60 owners.

True enough re firmware versions and old bug that maxed out rated miles at 197. OTOH, I've been on 4.5 for several months and rated miles have consistently decreased over the warm summer months. Nothing huge, but no upward movement and maybe 1 rated mile less per month until the last couple weeks which now seems to have gone down a bit more. Perhaps the latter decrease is weather related, but the earlier decreases during warmest months doesn't fit with that. Nothing that I lose sleep over, but also not something I'm totally ignoring since more data is better than less for us lowly 60 owners.

Yup, I see the same thing.

I did a 90% charge on my S60 last night at got 171 miles range, as measured 1 minute after charge completion.
The temperature was 57 F. This is on firmware 4.5 (1.33.61), 9,400 miles, 9 months old.

Last edited:
Just a thought... Someone who has put 40k miles on their car would have an average SOC quite a bit lower than someone who has only driven a few thousand miles in the same time frame. (assuming their car sits at 90% SOC in their garage the rest of the time). The effects of higher SOC could possibly outweigh the wear and tear of driving more miles.

Don't think this is necessarily age. Peculiar thing - a Model S owner from MD who has over 40,000 miles on his car (got it December) when driving down to FL and was in the mid 30's (mileage) was able to get 262 on a range charge!

Very confusing.....

Aaron

Just a thought... Someone who has put 40k miles on their car would have an average SOC quite a bit lower than someone who has only driven a few thousand miles in the same time frame. (assuming their car sits at 90% SOC in their garage the rest of the time). The effects of higher SOC could possibly outweigh the wear and tear of driving more miles.

I certainly hope so. 7 months of ownership and over 14,000 miles / 22,500 km already :cool:

I certainly hope so. 7 months of ownership and over 14,000 miles / 22,500 km already :cool:

Finally caught up with you mknox, 5 months 1 week and 14,000 miles :) how is the cold up their effecting your charge? I know you have the 85kWh, with my 60kWh, I saw a instant loss of about 6-10 miles per charge when the cold snap came in, Last night was in the high 50's and low 60's all day, and my summer range has returned.

how is the cold up their effecting your charge? I know you have the 85kWh, with my 60kWh, I saw a instant loss of about 6-10 miles per charge when the cold snap came in, Last night was in the high 50's and low 60's all day, and my summer range has returned.

I'm seeing the same type of thing. It has been speculated that 50 degrees F is the line between better summer range and worsening cold weather range. My admittedly anecdotal evidence would seem to bear that out. The last few days around here have crept a bit above 50 F and I'm also seeing summer-like numbers returning. I drive about 80 - 100 miles a day (long commute) and in summer usually see energy at or below 300 Wh/mi. With the colder weather of last week (high 30's to low 50's) it was looking more like 350 to 400 Wh/mi at the end of the day.

Range charged for the first time in months. App showed 255 miles of range but then switched to 258 after it was done charging for an hour (balancing?). My recollection was that I was getting 272 when the car was new (firmware 4.3?) and 268 on 4.5.

3% loss. 5600 miles on the car. Usually daily charge to 60% and run down to 40%.

A

Any of those recently upgraded to Firmware v5.6 have a chance to range charge yet? Any difference in the rated ranges? I haven't gotten the update yet and am curious to see if they did anything to more accurately calculate range. I drove, literally, 9 miles on my last range charge before the rated range dropped from the 258 down to 257 and another 3 miles at 257 before it began showing more accurate drops for distance.

Any of those recently upgraded to Firmware v5.6 have a chance to range charge yet? Any difference in the rated ranges? I haven't gotten the update yet and am curious to see if they did anything to more accurately calculate range. I drove, literally, 9 miles on my last range charge before the rated range dropped from the 258 down to 257 and another 3 miles at 257 before it began showing more accurate drops for distance.

I did a full charge last weekend and was at 248mi. (v5.6) 11 mo,@15650mi & 45-48F. I think there were a couple of miles before it dropped but not many.

there is something different about range calcs but I haven't figured it out yet. Sometimes I will get to work and my rated miles will go up 1 or 2 miles after an hour or so of being parked and the temp hasn't changed much either. Also the 'vampire' miles that you lose when parked will come back sometimes when you start to drive. the Whr/mi seems like it might be a little more in sync with to the rated mile use now.