Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Decreasing rated range.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It looks like Tesla reserves about 10% battery not shown in rated range but shown in the battery pack % slider? v5.8

u7a3eny3.jpg

Yobigd20,

Are you sure this is much different than before? On my car, the car has always ended up at about 4-6% at 0 rated miles remaining. I don't have any exact numbers for ~12% but that looks to be about where I would expect. The most accurate way to verify if they have changed the below 0 reserve is to see if the pack voltage at 0 miles remaining is the same as it was before, but I have not had an opportunity to do this yet, all I can say is that up to 4.5 the reserve has been unchanged since 11/2012.

Peter

It looks like Tesla reserves about 10% battery not shown in rated range but shown in the battery pack % slider? v5.8

u7a3eny3.jpg

Very curious/odd. So you're saying the 13 rated miles is only the small fraction above the 10% bar? Now who wants to be the first one to test this?

Well that's what I would gather from the screen. so yes, I think rated range excludes 10% of battery capacity. I did read somewhere else that Tesla reserves about 25miles range below "0 rated range", but I don't recall where I read that. That certainly would align with this photo though.

Now as to the difference in 4.5 to 5.8 with regards to this I have no idea because I never took mine down this low before.

Yes, curious if the EPA got some new cars with v5.8 and did their testing again, would they still come up with 265 and 208 ratings?

And if the answers to these questions are yes, then what is the explanation for the discrepancy with cars on the road that are getting nowhere near those numbers? It's either the batteries aren't balancing or their is real degradation. Just saying "driving habits and temperature" won't cut it.

Ever since 4.5 I've been charging my car to 80%. I was consistently seeing 197 rated range as soon as it completes (I always check at work mid day when I get the charge point txt msg that it's done). This morning , probably 2-3 hours after completion, it was sitting at 202. Must have rebalanced itself last night. I like seeing gains in rated range! V5.8

use5avas.jpg

Did a virtual 100% charge this morning in the garage where temps were about 50F (on the cool side here now in Nor Cal). Rated mi were 194 on 5.8 when it reached "calculating time remaining" with amps at 5 when my wife had to take it to go on a 50 mi drive. I didn't have time to let it complete charging and do any further balancing of the pact after it completes charging (if it actually does that).

I'm not losing sleep, but I do think it helps all of us to post data and compare numbers. I have about 11,700 mi on the car. I've probably done about 10 range charges since February, all for long road trips and all followed immediately by discharge. I generally put about 20 miles on the car a day and keep the SOC around 50-70% (at least as calculated under 4.5 and prior).

Last edited:

u7a3eny3.jpg

I took my car down to 2 miles remaining last night... Saw the same thing -- appears to be ~8% remaining on the battery bar (confirmed with VisibleTesla). I've never previously had the car below 40 miles remaining, so don't know if this also happened on 4.5 or 5.6 (its on 5.8 now)...

I'm doing a range charge for a day trip tomorrow -- lowered the amps down to 7 so it will complete about 2 hours before we need to leave (and allow an hour or so for balancing also)... I've previously done 4 range charges -- have seen 208, 201, 202 and 204 miles after doing the range charges. I normally charge to 75% for commuting, so curious to see where the range charge ends up tomorrow. Car now has ~8,000 miles...

IMG_0324.jpg

Last edited:
I took my car down to 2 miles remaining last night... Saw the same thing -- appears to be ~8% remaining on the battery bar (confirmed with VisibleTesla). I've never previously had the car below 40 miles remaining, so don't know if this also happened on 4.5 or 5.6 (its on 5.8 now)...

I'm doing a range charge for a day trip tomorrow -- lowered the amps down to 7 so it will complete about 2 hours before we need to leave (and allow an hour or so for balancing also)... I've previously done 4 range charges -- have seen 208, 201, 202 and 204 miles after doing the range charges. I normally charge to 75% for commuting, so curious to see where the range charge ends up tomorrow. Car now has ~8,000 miles...

View attachment 36287

Please do post your number after doing the 100% SOC and drive safely on your trip. Since you've been on 5.8, have you noticed any different numbers at your 75% normal SOC? If you've charged to 90% SOC, what what number did you see?

Did a virtual 100% charge this morning in the garage where temps were about 50F (on the cool side here now in Nor Cal). Rated mi were 194 on 5.8 when it reached "calculating time remaining" with amps at 5 when my wife had to take it to go on a 50 mi drive. I didn't have time to let it complete charging and do any further balancing of the pact after it completes charging (if it actually does that).

I'm not losing sleep, but I do think it helps all of us to post data and compare numbers. I have about 11,700 mi on the car. I've probably done about 10 range charges since February, all for long road trips and all followed immediately by discharge. I generally put about 20 miles on the car a day and keep the SOC around 50-70% (at least as calculated under 4.5 and prior).

I am still getting 200mi range charge on my 60. I don't range charge much and I normally keep a low SOC

I now have over 18k mi on ODO

Please do post your number after doing the 100% SOC and drive safely on your trip. Since you've been on 5.8, have you noticed any different numbers at your 75% normal SOC? If you've charged to 90% SOC, what what number did you see?

5.6 and 5.8 were pretty consistent at 75% -- showed 139 or 140 each morning.

i had 3 flavors of 4.6. After delivery in early June, 75% gave ~150 miles. That started dropping by a couple miles by early August -- had 146 was common. The last sub version of 4.6 was pushed to me around Aug 6, and since then 75% has been anywhere from 139 to 142...

I'll update on the range charge tomorrow...