Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Decreasing rated range.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The relationship between rated miles and SOC is not linear, but approximately quadratic (it looks like a bow). I have no idea why. I would've calibrated the SOC calculation in such a way that rated range is linearly proportional to SOC.

If VisibleTesla has a logging function, then you can graph it to see this.

it is/was actually pretty linear. I have been tracking my 50 - 90% SOC and rated miles after each firmware update and the R^2 has always been .999X
until this week when I did a bunch of range charges and my 50% was a bit odd after being close to 0mi( went from 105 to 109 after sitting a few minutes) but between 60 and 100% it is still very linear

...but between 60 and 100% it is still very linear

Yep, it is. It is below 40% that it starts curving. I bet if you calculate your 0 miles SOC you will get something higher than the known 7% or 8%.

For December I got y = 2.2x + 30.4 with R^2 = 0.985, but that gives a 0 miles SOC of 14%.
y = 0.0052x^2 + 1.62x - 15.7 with R^2 = 0.0988 gives 0 miles SOC of 9%, which is closer to the truth.

I think it is 12%ish at 0mi but I didn't look at VT when I was close to 0mi

middle of December I did 20% - 100% check and got y= 2.67x-28.34 ; R^2=0.9993
the 20,25,35,40,50% portion R^2 - 0.9977

IMG_2569.JPG

IMG_2579.JPG

Hi all - so my car has 4200 miles and I noticed that over the past week my rated range has dropped. Used to say 241-243 miles after a std charge. Now, it's showing 236. Is that degradation in play? Only 4200 miles...

I've had my P85 almost six months and 5,500 miles driven. I baby my battery and keep it at 50%-60%, plus added range for daily trips. I've never driven it below 30 or 40 miles remaining. I use HPWC and always charge at 80A. This was the result of my first, ever 100% charge yesterday:

Screen Shot 2014-02-14 at 1.18.53 PM.png

I'm in a MS60 loaner with 100 miles. I max charged it and rated range read 211. Just sayin'...

Thanks for posting. This was the number I've been looking for on this thread. Assuming that Tesla equips its loaners with the current 5.8 firmware, I think we can safely say that battery degradation and battery imbalance are the largest causes of those of us reporting much significantly lower numbers on a full charge.

On a separate but related note, yesterday I did a road trip and stopped at the Vacaville SC. I didn't have time to do a full charge, but when I arrived at Vacaville, my SOC was right on the 20% marker and I only had 18 rated miles. If I had run it down to 0 rated miles, it would have looked like I had 10% on the bar. I do remember under a prior firmware version that when it dropped below 30 rated, the bar would turn yellow. Yesterday it didn't turn yellow until it was around 22 or 23 rated miles.

Two more data points: On Monday, I got a near full charge at the Gilroy Supercharger on the way down to Monterey. The car never quite finished charging as it took a very long time to taper at 99% SOC and amps kept hovering between 2 and 3 for probably close to 10 minutes before we had to leave. The rated miles showed 194, which was 1 more than I'd seen on my last 100% charge a few weeks ago. When I got back on 101, including a hard acceleration onto to the freeway, the rated miles didn't decrease for at least 3 miles of real driving. Something was going on. I eventually drove the pack down to about 50 rated miles when returning home and added a little bit of charge overnight just to get the battery near 50% SOC.

Then the next day I did another range charge, this time using a Level II Chargepoint at work charging at 24A, finishing just prior to driving friend to SFO and back. Again it took about 30-45 minutes to go from 99% SOC to 100%, but the rated miles topped at 193, and when I began driving it started to drop after a mile or so, no "extra" or hidden charge like after I nearly finished at the Gilroy SC.

Last edited:
FWIW, I have done 3 range charges in the past 1.5 months. I allowed all of them to fully complete the balancing period. This consistently yielded 244-245 miles. I have not observed any increase suggesting my pack is already balanced. The most recent was done on 5.8.7.

FWIW, I have done 3 range charges in the past 1.5 months. I allowed all of them to fully complete the balancing period. This consistently yielded 244-245 miles. I have not observed any increase suggesting my pack is already balanced. The most recent was done on 5.8.7.

I wish tesla would publish official words on how to do this. Some have said to do it at a low amperage. Some have said it has to be 3 or more times in a couple of days.... It makes it just guessing for those of us who want to try it.

I have completed the third range charge in 10 days on my S60, including one at a supercharger, and one deep cycle down to 2.7 miles remaining (9% SOC). So far it's topped out at 193mi, 193mi, and 195mi. Not sure this is any real progress but I started with 191 max range so I will try another deep cycle and see if I get another step up.

Screen Shot 2014-02-24 at 9.23.30 PM.png

My SCS told me that engineering said:

1. Charge to 100%. Leave plugged 30 minutes longer. Run down to 20%. Leave 30 minutes and then charge. Repeat 3 times.

2. Leave charged to 100% for 3 days without driving.

I have done recommendation 2. I plan to start recommendation 1 soon. Having to add 750 miles to my car to see if this works seems less than ideal.

1. Charge to 100%. Leave plugged 30 minutes longer. Run down to 20%. Leave 30 minutes and then charge. Repeat 3 times.

I have done recommendation 2. I plan to start recommendation 1 soon. Having to add 750 miles to my car to see if this works seems less than ideal.
Hmm... Now that I think about it, I'm practically using 80% of the pack daily. I had thought this would be a hassle to do, but I guess now it's just not completely necessary for the purposes of my drive, but close enough that maybe I'll try it.

before I do though, was there a recommendation for charging amperage?

See here:

Started here:
Model s at 40,000 Miles - Page 3

Update:
Model s at 40,000 Miles - Page 10

Not sure if I would do this but it seems to be working for this person.