TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Definite Guide: Find out if you have HW3.0 or HW2.5

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by TimothyHW3, Jun 2, 2019.

1. mreynolds767

mreynolds767 Member

Yes, seems current easiest way assuming you have most up to date software is if you see orange traffic cones, you have HW3
    I do not have FSD and see bright orange cones (they really made them stand out)

• Like x 1
  2. Sj-trekhaak

Sj-trekhaak Member

The cover on my car is also held up by 3 pins. I believe there are 5 holes.

• Like x 1
  3. pdx_m3s

pdx_m3s Active Member

For now, yes. Back in October, Elon said traffic cones don’t require HW3, so I expect them to come to HW2.5 soon. Having said that, we can’t always rely on what Elon says. For example, I have a May-2019 Model 3 with HW2.5.

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  4. Sj-trekhaak

Sj-trekhaak Member

I have a september-2019 Model 3 with HW2.5. There is sombody on the Dutch forum with a October-2019 car with HW2.5. Both SR+ cars. My guess: because the SR+ can be deliverd as a SR, without autopilot, Tesla uses the available HW3.0 computers as much as they can in the long range cars. Otherwise it would be a bit of a waste to deliver the HW3.0 in an SR car without autopilot.

5. NightHeron

NightHeron New Member

4/19 Date in Door panel, M3 LR RWD. 2019.36.2.1. Construction barrels and cones show up as bright orange cone icon. It even made one appear for a cone that was off road in a yard! Faster acceleration, and car avoided a line of cones while on Autopilot on 45mph road.

• Like x 1
  6. Rickstur

Rickstur New Member

Can confirm, week old BY2020 SR+ with HW2.5 (no FSD). The (production) date on the unit says 5-5-2019, so they kept producing the HW2.5 unit after the word from Elon that as of April 2019 all units would be HW3.0.

7. TimothyHW3

TimothyHW3 Member

Yes, and they also still swap HW 2.5 too if you are in for MCU service and it needs replacement. Not sure wha the deal here is...watch out folks!

8. OCR1

OCR1 Active Member

Just for fun we put in a service request to upgrade the HW to V3 in our FSD Model 3. We have an early December service date scheduled. However, I know that doesn’t mean anything. The dates are scheduled automatically by computer but a service rep will eventually look at the request and either accept it or cancel the appointment because they are not ready to do the install yet.

9. ATX37

ATX37 Member

I tried this before Thanksgiving and my request was canccelled :)

10. astrorob

astrorob stealth performance M3

i see the cones in my dec 2019 car w/o FSD, however the latest software release notes said that stop signs should be rendered if the car has HW3 and i have yet to see a stop sign after a few days of driving in the neighborhood, where there are definitely stop signs in real life.

maybe the cones came to HW2.5 at some point?

11. pdx_m3s

pdx_m3s Active Member

I think the FSD sneak peak (stop signs, lights, etc) is only for FSD purchasers with HW3.

12. astrorob

astrorob stealth performance M3

actually, i am dumb. the software update happened at night and the release notes are really difficult for me to read when the screen is in night mode. i went back and re-read the notes and i see that you need to turn this sneak peak on in order to see the stop signs, etc.

my car only has autopilot, not FSD, and the toggle switch is there, but i have not driven with it turned on yet.

13. General Lee

General Lee New Member

It is all very confusing.
    I have taken delivery of my LR AWD in june 2019 in the Netherlands. Just AP, no FSD.
    After the update in november i see traffic cones, the CODEC in VLC of the sentry mode clips is 264.
    I have taken a picture of the sticker on the hardware. If i compare it with sticker from people that are sure they have HW3.0 it looks the same. But i do not have visualisations. They were not in the release notes and i cannot switch them on in the settings....
    Anyone have a clue ?
    I am waiting with the purchase of FSD, because in the EU there are many restrictions that make FSD useless.
    But it would be nice to see the visualisations, because they give a really hightech feeling of the car, which is hightech!

Attached Files:

14. Knightshade

Knightshade Well-Known Member

The new visualizations are US only. Cones are for HW3 in any country. You have HW3. Codec is no longer a useful way to check.

15. General Lee

General Lee New Member

Thanx Knightshade.
    I found the solution also in the partslist. I checked the part# under the glove box and voila... Schermafbeelding 2020-01-04 om 09.39.27.png

• Like x 1
  16. M3BruNE

M3BruNE Member

I have a 8/19 build LR AWD with EAP and my car is currently in for service since Dec 30 for the last week to replace the cars computer because of failed updates.

What are the odds they replace with HW3 and not the same 2.5 (I could never see cones)

17. M3BruNE

M3BruNE Member

EDIT: I have a 8/18 build not 8/19