Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Step by Step How To Check If You Have HW3 (Physically)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So its been bothering me for a few weeks since the winter sneak peak of FSD. Do I have a HW3 FSD ready PC in my model 3? Well some said if I can see cones I do , Some said 2.5 has cones as well. I decided to check my actual computer in the car to see the serial number and match it to the HW3 serial on the tesla parts website.

To do this you
1.remove four plugs under the glovebox
2.pull out the panel
3. stick a camera up into the space facing the front of the car
4. review the footage to see what the serial number is.

Or you can just contact Tesla, and they'll tell you. I did. A little simpler!

Shows I have 2.5.....

I think what's confusing people is that the Tesla API (and in turn, TeslaFi) shows the option codes for cars. In that string you'll see APH3, which means HW2.5. However, EVERY CAR shows the same option string. It says my Model S is a Model 3 with APH3 - the string is meaningless as of some time in the last year or so. Ignore it - every entry in that string is false, meaningless, placeholder garbage.

If you see cones, you have HW3. Period.

And the cutover date is NOT April of 2019 as people have said. Tesla has found batches or used refurbed parts or for whatever reason has continued to install HW2.5 computers in cars as recently as September 2019 or even beyond. It seems they at least tried to do this only when the car wasn't ordered with FSD, and seemingly only in Model 3, but it's happened.

My MS was manufactured April 2019, I bought it during the May 2019 inventory sale with FSD and it was delivered with HW3. For some reason Tesla did not know this as they scheduled me for an upgrade only to discover, after a phone call to Freemont, that HW3 was factory installed, and that there were a number of these produced in April before the Raven release. Knowing many newer cars were coming with HW2.5 I asked if the board was an old revision or something, and was told no just an early install to test within the fleet.

I've been seeing cones since the beginning and have had no FSD anomalies beyond those documented by everyone.

I think what's confusing people is that the Tesla API (and in turn, TeslaFi) shows the option codes for cars. In that string you'll see APH3, which means HW2.5. However, EVERY CAR shows the same option string. It says my Model S is a Model 3 with APH3 - the string is meaningless as of some time in the last year or so. Ignore it - every entry in that string is false, meaningless, placeholder garbage.

If you see cones, you have HW3. Period.

And the cutover date is NOT April of 2019 as people have said. Tesla has found batches or used refurbed parts or for whatever reason has continued to install HW2.5 computers in cars as recently as September 2019 or even beyond. It seems they at least tried to do this only when the car wasn't ordered with FSD, and seemingly only in Model 3, but it's happened.
Btw, if you have TeslaFi, please verify/set your AP version. Many users haven’t and the stats are reporting 2.5 for cars that are obviously HW3. Thanks!

Reactions: MorrisonHiker