Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Step by Step How To Check If You Have HW3 (Physically)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So its been bothering me for a few weeks since the winter sneak peak of FSD. Do I have a HW3 FSD ready PC in my model 3? Well some said if I can see cones I do , Some said 2.5 has cones as well. I decided to check my actual computer in the car to see the serial number and match it to the HW3 serial on the tesla parts website.

To do this you
1.remove four plugs under the glovebox
2.pull out the panel
3. stick a camera up into the space facing the front of the car
4. review the footage to see what the serial number is.

HW2.5 SERIAL:
CAR,COMPUTER,MCU,ADAS,ASSY, HW2.5-PROVISIONED 1098058-S0-M

HW3 SERIAL:
TLA,CAR.COMP,NA,HW3.0,M3 - PROVISIONED 1462554-S0-I

Tesla Parts Online:
https://epc.tesla.com/#/systemGroups/47362

Hope this helps!

Have made a video as well if preferred.

Check the build date on the car. If older than April 2019, you don't have HW3
If newer than April 2019, you do. (Doesn't matter when you bought it)

If built in April 2019, start jumping through hoops, if you really need to know.

Again, no. Some cars built after April, 2019 did not come with HW3, for whatever reason. HW3 wasn’t even put into cars until the second week of April, 2019, so a blanket April, 2019 statement is false.

Again, cones = HW3. The end.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Again, no. Some cars built after April, 2019 did not come with HW3, for whatever reason. HW3 wasn’t even put into cars until the second week of April, 2019, so a blanket April, 2019 statement is false.

Yes for sure I was set on the cones until I read some people saying they had 2.5 with cones so wanted to be sure. But if that is accurate (Likely) then that is alot easier, But at least now I know 100%.

Yes for sure I was set on the cones until I read some people saying they had 2.5 with cones so wanted to be sure. But if that is accurate (Likely) then that is alot easier, But at least now I know 100%.
Those are just misinformed people who think they have AP2.5, similar to those other owners on Teslafi with Model 3s who believe they have AP1, AP2 and even no AP hardware.

We have AP2, AP2.5 and AP3 and only the AP3 car shows the cones so far.

Reactions: WilliamG
I mean, if you know what you’re looking for, you can tell HW3 vs HW2.5 by just bringing up the backup camera. If your frame rate is uneven and herky-jerky, it’s HW3. If it’s pretty damn smooth, it’s HW2.5.

For me that’s something even quicker than looking for cones, lol.

• Funny
Reactions: APotatoGod

What I said is if it was built in April, there's no simple way to determine it, otherwise there is a simple way.
The cones trick only applies if you have FSD