Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The VIN itself will give away the 2023 vs 2024. I don't see how Tesla can not allow vehicle inspection before accepting it. A lot of people would have issue with it, not just for 2023/2024 reasons.
Aside from the 2023 vs 2024, I remember reading some forums here how tesla will only let you visually inspect from the outside, See post below. Mind you this from Dec 2022. Maybe they are more giving in 2023? Either way I agree, folks will lose their cool at delivery centers if they are not able to inspect prior to paying.

1695924917427.png

Reactions: bmer1rick
Aside from the 2023 vs 2024, I remember reading some forums here how tesla will only let you visually inspect from the outside, See post below. Mind you this from Dec 2022. Maybe they are more giving in 2023? Either way I agree, folks will lose their cool at delivery centers if they are not able to inspect prior to paying.

View attachment 977918
By default the vehicle is there with your name on it (at least the ones I've been to here in SoCal), so the visual inspection is readily available. I just walk up to the delivery counter/stand and ask them to open the vehicle for me to fully inspect before signing any final docs. They'll open it, but won't give you the key card. They usually don't have a problem with it. That's what I did also this last time around on 9/11 when I attempted my first delivery, but then rejected the vehicle. Same when I went with my sister to pick up her MYLR back in June at a different Tesla delivery center.

Perhaps that delivery center for that other user was just being a pain. When I've gone, I'm seeing everyone looking through their vehicle with all doors opening and closing. Granted, I don't know if maybe some of them have already fully paid/signed. 🤷‍♂️

By default the vehicle is there with your name on it (at least the ones I've been to here in SoCal), so the visual inspection is readily available. I just walk up to the delivery counter/stand and ask them to open the vehicle for me to fully inspect before signing any final docs. They'll open it, but won't give you the key card. They usually don't have a problem with it. That's what I did also this last time around on 9/11 when I attempted my first delivery, but then rejected the vehicle. Same when I went with my sister to pick up her MYLR back in June at a different Tesla delivery center.
Good to hear! Gives me hope.

Perhaps that delivery center for that other user was just being a pain. When I've gone, I'm seeing everyone looking through their vehicle with all doors opening and closing. Granted, I don't know if maybe some of them have already fully paid/signed. 🤷‍♂️
They did not allow me to go inside or open my Model S when I bought it until all the paperwork was signed and paid. It seems like the answer varies.

Reactions: spectrum
But to be honest, my primary concern is mostly with the external panel and paint finish. And with those, can generally inspect from the outside. I've had people I know who were given vehicle by Tesla delivery with very obvious significant paint damage that was very poorly fixed in an attempt to cover it up. I just don't want a new vehicle that immediately requires paint rework and multiple panels having to have the paint blended. Essentially becoming a repainted car even though it's brand new.

The benefit for me with opening the car up is mostly to test the door/trunk/frunk hinges also, another alignment check. I feel like the majority of interior issues can be fixed if they are obvious issues/defects and I would be okay with accepting the vehicle with the expectation of them being addressed. Of course, if they didn't want to open the doors for inspection because it's missing a seat or more is another thing LOL

Last edited:
GREAT NEWS… According to my SA, Tesla sent out guidance to all delIvery centers yesterday. They will honor FSD transfers after 9/30 “if u had the intent to pickup before 9/30”. Not sure how far this goes, but my guess is that it will be for all of us that had a delivery estimate in Sep-Oct when we put down the $250. Can’t wait to get my MXLR, red, black interior, steering wheel, 20’. EDD still 10-23. Will continue to keep you updated.
YES! This is really good news.