Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Registered $80k Model X today after ordering 8/31. DMV said their system supposedly reported via Tesla has the MSRP as $120,990, and they could not go by Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement, Monroney Sticker, Order Agreement, etc. So presumably this results in 50% higher registration fees every year for this vehicle. Tesla says they'll talk to the DMV, so hopefully something gets fixed generally so others don't get stuck with really high registration fees.

Registered $80k Model X today after ordering 8/31. DMV said their system supposedly reported via Tesla has the MSRP as $120,990, and they could not go by Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement, Monroney Sticker, Order Agreement, etc. So presumably this results in 50% higher registration fees every year for this vehicle. Tesla says they'll talk to the DMV, so hopefully something gets fixed generally so others don't get stuck with really high registration fees.
That sucks. Hope it gets fixed soon. Guess the DMV didn't get the memo on the price reduction lol

I'm assuming that's CA's DMV?

By default the vehicle is there with your name on it (at least the ones I've been to here in SoCal), so the visual inspection is readily available. I just walk up to the delivery counter/stand and ask them to open the vehicle for me to fully inspect before signing any final docs. They'll open it, but won't give you the key card. They usually don't have a problem with it. That's what I did also this last time around on 9/11 when I attempted my first delivery, but then rejected the vehicle. Same when I went with my sister to pick up her MYLR back in June at a different Tesla delivery center.

Perhaps that delivery center for that other user was just being a pain. When I've gone, I'm seeing everyone looking through their vehicle with all doors opening and closing. Granted, I don't know if maybe some of them have already fully paid/signed. 🤷‍♂️
I agree. I just took delivery yesterday and that is what exactly happened. They remotely unlocked the car and I was able to do a thorough inspection prior to accepting delivery...

Also, didn't Tesla do the registration automatically for the vehicle purchase? How come you had to go to DMV to do the registration yourself?

Reactions: Carlitos