Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla does have some competition NOW, but it isn't a huge threat. Remember, it took Tesla a couple of years to get to where it is today. Kia, Volvo are releasing their new EV's in 2024. Just give it some time, and things will become clearer.

Nobody has the EV production capability of the Tesla right now. However, Tesla is starting to cut into its profit margins quite a bit. The other manufacturers still can profit from their ICE sales. Tesla's competitors haven't put their full attention/capabilities into EV's yet.
It’s like Usain Bolt running against me in 100m. Just because I can run behind him, I won’t dare to call it a competition 😂😂😂

It’s like Usain Bolt running against me in 100m. Just because I can run behind him, I won’t dare to call it a competition 😂😂😂

Yeah, but eventually, there might be someone who can beat Usain Bolt. Records are made to be broken. I mean, even the Volvo EX90, priced at below $80k, would be a good contender against the Model X. It would be a model I am seriously considering if I were shopping for an EV next year.

• Funny
Reactions: NJturtlePower
I think these prices changes are horrific for the future of Tesla. I think this is gonna hurt them in the end. When you have a monopoly, you can do whatever you want. Once real competition rears its head, you get destroyed playing these games.

Other automakers do this but with “dealer incentives”. It’s super complex and confusing but the end result is that car values stay high or at least follow a defined curve. The Tesla method will make the used market shy away and further destroy values.
I disagree, the fact they have such a large market cap is the reason why they can do this now. They have also said from the beginning they want to make cars that are affordable so the cuts are to be expected. Car prices have also been overinflated through the whole industry the last two years. I think the current prices of Tesla lineup is in line where they should be. Also, what competition. It’s like Michael Jordan playing against 4th graders in his prime.

Yeah, but eventually, there might be someone who can beat Usain Bolt. Records are made to be broken. I mean, even the Volvo EX90, priced at below $80k, would be a good contender against the Model X. It would be a model I am seriously considering if I were shopping for an EV next year.
But the whole point is, it’s not. When it actually becomes a contender, which to me means Profitability not just selling the car. Who else is actually making a profit or will be in the next few years AND sell as many units as Tesla while they keep increasing their output year by year?

I disagree, the fact they have such a large market cap is the reason why they can do this now. They have also said from the beginning they want to make cars that are affordable so the cuts are to be expected. Car prices have also been overinflated through the whole industry the last two years. I think the current prices of Tesla lineup is in line where they should be. Also, what competition. It’s like Michael Jordan playing against 4th graders in his prime.

Somehow, your theory kind of doesn't make sense. Why cut prices and eat into Tesla's profits when they DON'T have to, based on what you're saying. Tesla could easily sell these cars for more since there's literally "no competition". They could use that money to reinvest into more charging stations, more service centers, etc.

I believe the demand for EV's is starting to wane, and cutting prices at least for Tesla, is the way to keep stoking demand.

I think we are talking about 2 different things here. Is there a better or more compelling EV than Tesla now? I’m very sure many people say there is. But we are discussing how Tesla so monopolize the US market that it can increase or drop its price at a heartbeat without worrying about losing money. The other manufacturers can’t do that because they are all in red producing their EVs. They only cut their price if forced by Tesla’s price cut. They can’t increase their price either because no one will buy their cars if they do.

I think we are talking about 2 different things here. Is there a better or more compelling EV than Tesla now? I’m very sure many people say there is. But we are discussing how Tesla so monopolize the US market that it can increase or drop its price at a heartbeat without worrying about losing money. The other manufacturers can’t do that because they are all in red producing their EVs. They only cut their price if forced by Tesla’s price cut. They can’t increase their price either because no one will buy their cars if they do.

Interesting point. However, why does Tesla need to cut prices if there is literally no competition? Other manufacturers are already in the red. There's no need to cut prices if they're the only 'compelling' EV now.

Tesla probably wants those Plaids churned out first because they can make bigger margins on them, and then scramble for the tax credit builds later. I still think that come January 2024, the tax credit will still be $7500 which will be now POS, and that Tesla may drop the price again, but it'll be a smaller drop.

If tax credit decreases to $3750, Tesla will just drop the price by $3750.

I've ordered on 9/6, for a Tax Credit build in Ultra Red, and I'm in the West Coast. My EDD is Oct 10- Nov 14. Couple days ago it was Oct 10 - Nov 21.
@mathnerd88
I've been all over ChatGPT and IRS website to understand the 2024 Critical Minerals and Battery Composition requirements to get the $3500 for each to total $7500 Tax Credit. If I'm understanding correctly, the REQUIREMENTS are 10% MORE than they are for 2023.

Does anyone know if Tesla Model X CURRENTLY qualifies for that 10% increase? OR. will they have to do something different with the 2024 Batteries for them to qualify? OR, is it not important for Tesla to have their Vehicle qualify for a Tax Credit?

@mathnerd88
I've been all over ChatGPT and IRS website to understand the 2024 Critical Minerals and Battery Composition requirements to get the $3500 for each to total $7500 Tax Credit. If I'm understanding correctly, the REQUIREMENTS are 10% MORE than they are for 2023.

Does anyone know if Tesla Model X CURRENTLY qualifies for that 10% increase? OR. will they have to do something different with the 2024 Batteries for them to qualify? OR, is it not important for Tesla to have their Vehicle qualify for a Tax Credit?

Tesla doesn't really care about qualifying for the tax credit or not. They don't get the tax credit and it's for the consumer. What they care about is increasing demand. If the tax credit helps, then it helps.

We don't know where Tesla sources their materials for the battery from, and what requirements they meet or not meet. You'll have to wait until January to know.

What I do know, is that Model X should at least qualify for $3750 since assembly is in NA.

I have a question about FSD Beta in my new MX. In Auto Pilot Settings, it has the button greyed out and says that FSD Beta will be available in a future update.

I have 2023.26.100

What’s up with this? These software update numbers that people throw around are all so confusing. When can I expect to get a software version that enables FSD Beta? I have Advanced software updates turned on.I

I have a question about FSD Beta in my new MX. In Auto Pilot Settings, it has the button greyed out and says that FSD Beta will be available in a future update.

I have 2023.26.100

What’s up with this? These software update numbers that people throw around are all so confusing. When can I expect to get a software version that enables FSD Beta? I have Advanced software updates turned on.
Hello,

I feel your concern! My MSP is also anchored at the 2023.26.100 build. However, my MX managed to receive the FSD Beta update just 2 days after we got it last month. It's puzzling why the MSP is taking longer. The software update realms surely have their own mysteries. I too have the Advanced software updates enabled, yet here we are. Hopefully, the tide will change with the next update!

Hang in there!

Interesting point. However, why does Tesla need to cut prices if there is literally no competition? Other manufacturers are already in the red. There's no need to cut prices if they're the only 'compelling' EV now.
Some times you need to boost demand regardless of competition. Why did I say regardless of competition? Because it’s not always price cut. Sometimes it’s price increase to slow down demand. And Tesla has been doing this forever even before the other “competitors” came into the picture

It looks like Tesla missed its Q3 delivery mark.
Actually they didn't, as Tesla clearly and openly said on the Q2 investors call that Q3 numbers would be down compared to Q2 due to planned factory downtime for both the MY and M3 models. Turns out Tesla performed exactly as they said they would, it's just no one was listening/paying attention, especially the mass media. There was quite a bit of factory downtime in during Q3 in GigaShanghai for the Highland retooling, and there was downtime in GigaTexas for the MY - as they literally stopped producing the MY AWD 4680 model and are now producing the MY SR RWD FRP battery pack model. Considering these major factory retooling efforts during Q2, the Q3 numbers are quite healthy. Q4 should be an all time high production quarter for Tesla as there aren't any major plans for factory downtime comparatively - though there's still the issue of factory downtime for Fremont to move to the Highland M3 models at some point.

Well, data just showed that in Q3 Tesla delivered less vehicles than Q2.
This was announced on the Q2 earnings call last quarter, so for those who were actually paying attention and listening, this is not news, it was fully expected.
Tesla states it was due to manufacturing downtime due to factory upgrades, but then why the price drop for Model Y?
Yes, they said exactly this regarding the factory downtime almost three months ago on the last Q2 earnings call, so again this is not really new information. Not sure why the mass media cannot listen and present the actual facts with this in mind. Regarding the price drops, Tesla has always maintained that they will adjust pricing to meet demand as often as needed since they have detailed daily sales and delivery volume reporting. Best guess, they're likely trying to hit the 1.8mm number before end of year, which means they need deliveries to come up to 476k this quarter - and with softening macro-demand in play, providing price incentives is one way to boost demand.
I agree with you. This is all speculation, and we'll never know the answer until it actually happens.
Agree 100% - we can prognosticate all we want - but the future is unpredictable to some degree - we'll only know the facts in hindsight.

Reactions: Todd Burch
Actually they didn't, as Tesla clearly and openly said on the Q2 investors call that Q3 numbers would be down compared to Q2 due to planned factory downtime for both the MY and M3 models. Turns out Tesla performed exactly as they said they would, it's just no one was listening/paying attention, especially the mass media. There was quite a bit of factory downtime in during Q3 in GigaShanghai for the Highland retooling, and there was downtime in GigaTexas for the MY - as they literally stopped producing the MY AWD 4680 model and are now producing the MY SR RWD FRP battery pack model. Considering these major factory retooling efforts during Q2, the Q3 numbers are quite healthy. Q4 should be an all time high production quarter for Tesla as there aren't any major plans for factory downtime comparatively - though there's still the issue of factory downtime for Fremont to move to the Highland M3 models at some point.
Please excuse my slightly uneducated Tesla knowledge, but what is an FRP battery pack?

Tesla doesn't really care about qualifying for the tax credit or not. They don't get the tax credit and it's for the consumer. What they care about is increasing demand. If the tax credit helps, then it helps.

We don't know where Tesla sources their materials for the battery from, and what requirements they meet or not meet. You'll have to wait until January to know.

What I do know, is that Model X should at least qualify for $3750 since assembly is in NA.

@mathnerd88 , you responded..."What I do know, is that Model X should at least qualify for $3750 since assembly is in NA."

I don't think NA assembly is ENOUGH to qualify for Tax Credit of $3750 in 2024. In 2024, IRS is requiring that BATTERY COMPONENTS produced in NA be >or =60% to qualify for $3750 tax credit AND/OR CRITICAL MINERALS extracted, processed ...in NA be >or=50% to qualify for $3750. If BOTH of these requirements are met we receive the $7500 maximun.

@mathnerd88 , you responded..."What I do know, is that Model X should at least qualify for $3750 since assembly is in NA."

I don't think NA assembly is ENOUGH to qualify for Tax Credit of $3750 in 2024. In 2024, IRS is requiring that BATTERY COMPONENTS produced in NA be >or =60% to qualify for $3750 tax credit AND/OR CRITICAL MINERALS extracted, processed ...in NA be >or=50% to qualify for $3750. If BOTH of these requirements are met we receive the $7500 maximun.

My bad, I was still stuck on 2022 EV Tax credit requirements haha when it was switched last year.

Reactions: Saxman
This was announced on the Q2 earnings call last quarter, so for those who were actually paying attention and listening, this is not news, it was fully expected.

Yes, they said exactly this regarding the factory downtime almost three months ago on the last Q2 earnings call, so again this is not really new information. Not sure why the mass media cannot listen and present the actual facts with this in mind. Regarding the price drops, Tesla has always maintained that they will adjust pricing to meet demand as often as needed since they have detailed daily sales and delivery volume reporting. Best guess, they're likely trying to hit the 1.8mm number before end of year, which means they need deliveries to come up to 476k this quarter - and with softening macro-demand in play, providing price incentives is one way to boost demand.

Yeah, those high interest rates definitely aren't helping.