Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OD: 9/9
MXLR, Red/Black, Tax Edition
EDD1: Oct/Nov
EDD2 (9/19): Nov/Dec; Nov 8 - Dec 20 (updated later same day)
EDD3 (10/2): Oct 27 - Dec 8
EDD4 (10/30): Dec 2023 - Jan 2024; Nov 17 - Dec 22 (updated later same day...scared me with the initial update...)

Reactions: NJturtlePower
At this point, I'm convinced I'm not getting my car this year. So frustrating waiting!!!
IIRC, we ordered on the same day and are in the same area. I'm taking delivery tomorrow morning. Looks like your EDD range is still pretty close. Not to give you false hope or anything but I would guess you get your VIN in 7-10 days or so and take delivery third-fourth week of Nov. Dec is unlikely because east coast rarely gets deliveries EOQ. I have my fingers crossed for you.

IIRC, we ordered on the same day and are in the same area. I'm taking delivery tomorrow morning. Looks like your EDD range is still pretty close. Not to give you false hope or anything but I would guess you get your VIN in 7-10 days or so and take delivery third-fourth week of Nov. Dec is unlikely because east coast rarely gets deliveries EOQ. I have my fingers crossed for you.
Thanks for the pep talk. Ordered 9/4... Still waiting on VIN :(. 3rd week in Nov is thanksgiving and I definitely won't be around to pick up during that time. Ugh.

Reactions: snorlax

Panasonic had reduced battery cell production (which is used for X/S) in Japan during the period ending Sept. 2023, I believe this issue effects the production/delivery for Model X and S. That's why we see the rate of production/delivery is very slow.

So to add to the EDD speculation, I just received a text today from Tesla telling me of the "good news!" letting me transfer my FUSC to a new Model X purchase or lease -- and telling me I have to take delivery by December 31, 2023 to qualify? Then when you go to the Tesla configurator they are now showing an EDD of December -January? One week ago it was November - December.

So to add to the EDD speculation, I just received a text today from Tesla telling me of the "good news!" letting me transfer my FUSC to a new Model X purchase or lease -- and telling me I have to take delivery by December 31, 2023 to qualify? Then when you go to the Tesla configurator they are now showing an EDD of December -January? One week ago it was November - December.
Yeah at this rate, anyone who ordered like past Sep 25th probably won’t get their vehicle by Dec 31…there are still people who didn’t get their VIN from 9/3 order date.

Most people who received their VIN picks up their vehicle a week and a half to two weeks after.

Unless some kind of miracle happens, like Texas Gigafactory starts producing Model X’s which is unlikely due to the Cybertruck, it looks like orders are going to keep being delayed.

Last edited:

Panasonic had reduced battery cell production (which is used for X/S) in Japan during the period ending Sept. 2023, I believe this issue effects the production/delivery for Model X and S. That's why we see the rate of production/delivery is very slow.
Interesting. I thought they reduced production because there isn’t enough demand for the X and S, not because they can’t produce the batteries.

Yeah at this rate, anyone who ordered like past Sep 25th probably won’t get their vehicle by Dec 31…there are still people who didn’t get their VIN from 9/3 order date.

Most people who received their VIN picks up their vehicle a week and a half to two weeks after.

Unless some kind of miracle happens, like Texas Gigafactory starts producing Model X’s which is unlikely due to the Cybertruck, it looks like orders are going to keep being delayed.
It's been two months since Tesla dropped their prices on X/S, they still now are trying to fulfill orders that placed in the first week of Sept. I'll be surprised if my X (OD 9/11) arrives by Thanksgiving.

Except it appears from todays stock news part of the problem has been Panasonic reduced production of the batteries for the S/X last quarter - ending in September because of falling demand. So the question is how quickly can they ramp up the batteries again for the increased demand this quarter - probably stimulated by the FUSC transfer offer?

Except it appears from todays stock news part of the problem has been Panasonic reduced production of the batteries for the S/X last quarter - ending in September because of falling demand. So the question is how quickly can they ramp up the batteries again for the increased demand this quarter - probably stimulated by the FUSC transfer offer?
That's not how this works though. Tesla knows how much it needs based on all these orders from September and what their production capacity is for the Model X. I doubt that Panasonic reducing production of batteries affects Model X's production capacity because it's based on orders they get.

If anything, Tesla expects less being sold this upcoming quarter, and it already accounted for that when they place orders from Panasonic for battery components. However, that also includes Model 3/Y which they produce much quicker and faster than the Model X and they probably expect less of those vehicles being sold rather than the Model X, which has been backlogged.