Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It was meant in jest, i.e., I would pay Tesla more to provide me with an option of normal doors rather than FWDs
but be honest......how COOL do you feel in a packed parking lot or picking up your kids from school when those doors go up????? going up is not the issue, coming back down and closing is where I get an anxiety attack each time hahaha. "PLEASE CLOSE PLEASE CLOSE PLEASE CLOSE" 😂 😂 😂

but be honest......how COOL do you feel in a packed parking lot or picking up your kids from school when those doors go up????? going up is not the issue, coming back down and closing is where I get an anxiety attack each time hahaha. "PLEASE CLOSE PLEASE CLOSE PLEASE CLOSE" 😂 😂 😂
When we did the demo, my son was on the back, and on his phone. I closed the FWD by hitting the button. I was expecting him to get out by opening the door on his side, but instead he decided to dash for the door taht was closing and it hit him on the head, he said it did not hurt. It got me worried with dogs and kids and not paying attention!

Edit: So yes, closing is a concern in more than one way! When dropping kids off I worry if the teacher is right next to teh door, the door would refuse to open, the teachers are so nice and sometimes even open the door for the kids!

Off topic....

For any of you DIY'ers, If you are interested in PPF and are not afraid to install it your self, check out this website. They sell all the piece's in precut form. I purchased the full door kit along with the A-pillars. Not bad at all. May not be Xpel or Suntek but for fraction of the price, I took a gamble and am super happy with the results. I did not install it, I found a PPF installer that did the install on the side for a couple hundred. I had the full front PPF'ed by a shop in Dallas and when I went back to see how much the doors would cost, they stated 475 PER DOOR! I got the entire 4 door kit plus A-pillar and door handles for under $390 from this site lol. I'm not affiliated, just passing along info and the savings incase you did not want to drop a ton on the sides for PPF =)

They usually will provide a 10-15% off as well.

Model X Full Front:

Model X Full Rear:

Model X Full Doors:

Model X A-Pillars:

Reactions: dmk712 and davenlei
Most all new Teslas are delivered with approximately 15 miles on the odometer, sometimes less. That seems to be the standard when they leave the factory.
Correct, all my paperwork said 15mi but the vehicle had 8-9 actually at pickup 11/3.

Is parking ok, no USS correct? FWD opening ok without hitting things next to it etc? thx!
The FWD's and Trunk are very cautious currently.... They won't hit anything. 🤞

Was really nervous the first time trying them in my garage but all is good, done it many times now.

They open with enough space for smaller people or kids to get in initially, then I just hold the button to come up the next level.

I honestly rather it this way...no surprises!

Attachments

• IMG_9885.jpeg
    IMG_9885.jpeg
    691.5 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_9886.jpeg
    IMG_9886.jpeg
    490.9 KB · Views: 16
When we did the demo, my son was on the back, and on his phone. I closed the FWD by hitting the button. I was expecting him to get out by opening the door on his side, but instead he decided to dash for the door taht was closing and it hit him on the head, he said it did not hurt. It got me worried with dogs and kids and not paying attention!

Edit: So yes, closing is a concern in more than one way! When dropping kids off I worry if the teacher is right next to teh door, the door would refuse to open, the teachers are so nice and sometimes even open the door for the kids!
during our normal morning routine of dropping kids off, i have my wife ready to yell "BACK THE F UP!!!" lol the teachers and kids are aware and we get the "here comes the D-bags" look now. Jokes aside, everyone knows to basically step back as the car will do its thing so we are not facing any issues.

Off topic....

For any of you DIY'ers, If you are interested in PPF and are not afraid to install it your self, check out this website. They sell all the piece's in precut form. I purchased the full door kit along with the A-pillars. Not bad at all. May not be Xpel or Suntek but for fraction of the price, I took a gamble and am super happy with the results. I did not install it, I found a PPF installer that did the install on the side for a couple hundred. I had the full front PPF'ed by a shop in Dallas and when I went back to see how much the doors would cost, they stated 475 PER DOOR! I got the entire 4 door kit plus A-pillar and door handles for under $390 from this site lol. I'm not affiliated, just passing along info and the savings incase you did not want to drop a ton on the sides for PPF =)
I'm way to OCD to try PPF myself although I have played with vinyl a bit and done a "chrome delete" kit on my 3.

Just got my X done up with some PPF (Front Bumper/Full Hood/Rear Bumper/Lights/Mirrors) for a discounted price of $1500 from my local guy.

Well worth the money for these high impact parts if you're OCD and crazy about a clean vehicle. The prep before the PPF is just as important to the material including a full decon, clay bar and basic paint correction/buffing.

I will be attempting my Ceramic Coating DIY for the 1st time now that the car is basically prepped and ready. Great deal on this full Adams kit the other day, about $110 after Lightning Deal. :cool:

1699973505828.png

I'm way to OCD to try PPF myself although I have played with vinyl a bit and done a "chrome delete" kit on my 3.

Just got my X done up with some PPF (Front Bumper/Full Hood/Rear Bumper/Lights/Mirrors) for a discounted price of $1500 form my local guy.

Well worth the money for these high impact parts if you're OCD and crazy about a clean vehicle. The prep before the PPF is just as important including a full decon, clay bar and basic paint correction/buffing.

I will be attempting my Ceramic Coating DIY for the 1st time now that the car is basically prepped and ready. Great deal on this full Adams kit the other day, about $110 after Lightning Deal. :cool:

View attachment 990640

Same im way too OCD as well and decided to find a place that would do the install. I would never be able to prep the car the way these pro's do it so i was glad I was able to find someone that took care of it all for me on the doors! Adams kit is the way to go!

Reactions: NJturtlePower
Is parking ok, no USS correct? FWD opening ok without hitting things next to it etc? thx!
Haven't hit anything with the FWDs. So far they have consistently properly stopped short when in my garage and opened fully when outside--but I still don't think I'll trust them to open in tight spaces without me monitoring them closely.

I think there are still ultrasonic sensors in the FWDs, though I'm not 100% sure.

No auto-parking/summon yet. Parking via vision isn't great yet but I expect that to improve over time and either way, I couldn't care less.

Correct, all my paperwork said 15mi but the vehicle had 8-9 actually at pickup 11/3.

The FWD's and Trunk are very cautious currently.... They won't hit anything. 🤞

Was really nervous the first time trying them in my garage but all is good, done it many times now.

They open with enough space for smaller people or kids to get in initially, then I just hold the button to come up the next level.

I honestly rather it this way...no surprises!
Thx for info! Pretty red color! Never had fwd so a bit nervous, deciding between the new Y which I heard has better suspension vs the "plain x". My 22 Y has the USS so haven't really hit anything or scratched other people's doors in paroling lots etc. Also deciding if I make the move, the ultra re like yours or the blue. ☺️

Reactions: NJturtlePower
Thx for info! Pretty red color! Never had fwd so a bit nervous, deciding between the new Y which I heard has better suspension vs the "plain x". My 22 Y has the USS so haven't really hit anything or scratched other people's doors in paroling lots etc. Also deciding if I make the move, the ultra re like yours or the blue. ☺️
Not a chance on that suspension comment... Suspension is the same on an LR or Plaid X as well.

Static (Coils/Strut) will never equal the ride and customization of an Adaptive Air Suspension.

Fully adjustable from Comfort to Sport, whole other level of refinement as a 5+ year Model 3 owner prior. Even remembers locations you want to raise vehicle via GPS.

Reactions: eeee-meeee
Can you share a link please? are those compatible with 2021+, I do not want to drill holes etc

No affiliation, no reviews, and no idea how good they fit because my car isn't here yet, but this is what I've bought for my new X:

The paint film comes from owning a 2019 and seeing what parts actually need it.

use at your own risk, your mileage may very, consult a doctor if it lasts more than four hours.

is closing the fwd a problem?
not really, we all just have been brainwashed to believe they will constantly have issues. I only encountered 1 issue and that was due to the car seat being too close to the door where it touched during closing. we just like to complain about our first world problems and have a good time LOL. Are they perfect? no, do they do the job? Yes.

• Funny
Reactions: eeee-meeee
Off topic....

They usually will provide a 10-15% off as well.

Model X Full Front:

Model X Full Rear:

Model X Full Doors:

Model X A-Pillars:

Back in the day when I was in College I would tint windows and watching YouTube videos of those guys doing PPF on cars uses a lot of the same techniques as tinting windows. I know there is a lot more prep work that is needed prior to applying the PPF and corners/angles are more work but I will get my mobile detailer to prep the car so I can jump right into doing the PPF. Planning on doing the pillars first, then the doors to get warmed up. Then the more challenging back and finally front.

No affiliation, no reviews, and no idea how good they fit because my car isn't here yet, but this is what I've bought for my new X:

The paint film comes from owning a 2019 and seeing what parts actually need it.

use at your own risk, your mileage may very, consult a doctor if it lasts more than four hours.
I do have some experience with PPF on vehicles over the years and my opinion is you want to avoid exposed seams and partial panels wherever possible.

I did just have the little half-moon PPF done on my FWD's, but I think you'll regret the partial hood and front bumper. Less of an issue on darker colors, but really bothered me on my past White and Silver cars.

Dirt will build up on the edges and its extra failure points for lifting and/or high pressure water spray during cleaning. You'll even catch the edges on a microfiber wiping it down.

Reactions: b_PJS

Just got my X done up with some PPF (Front Bumper/Full Hood/Rear Bumper/Lights/Mirrors) for a discounted price of $1500 from my local guy.

Well worth the money for these high impact parts if you're OCD and crazy about a clean vehicle. The prep before the PPF is just as important to the material including a full decon, clay bar and basic paint correction/buffing.

View attachment 990640

What is the benefit of that over PPF? I've had PPF on my model s for 4 years now and the car always have a nice polished/shiny look after a wash. Not sure I will see a difference if I apply this so I am curious.