Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My understanding is that if you reject the VIN you keep any transfers or discounts for whatever the next car they match you with.

A note: after rejecting your VIN, put your account on hold otherwise they'll rematch you with your own VIN.

I took delivery last Sunday and the car was in bad shape, I rejected the VIN. An hour later I was notified I have a VIN again and given an option to schedule delivery on Tuesday. I called Tesla because I was suspicious and the rep confirmed it was my old VIN. He said the system automatically matches you to any available inventory car in your region that matches your specs and that was the only one that did so. He suggested I put my account on hold and as long as I took the hold off by the end of the week, I'd keep my discounts and would be matched with next available build if my previous VIN sold. If it didn't sell I'd probably match with it again. I did that and my previous VIN sold right away so Sunday I'll take the hold off. If another 2023 shows up in inventory that matches my specs I'll have to take it but hopefully the next match will be 2024

According to this, you lose the transfer by rejecting a VIN if you do not pick up by Dec 31, 2023. They did the same thing with the FSD transfer back in September 2023. People have lost their transfer for FSD by rejecting the VIN. It's pretty clear in the language that you'll lose it if you rejected a VIN.

Specifically,
Note: Tesla will make an exception and honor your free Supercharging transfer request after the December 31, 2023 deadline if all of the following conditions are met:
  • You are eligible for the free Supercharging transfer program and agreed to the program’s terms and conditions in writing by December 31, 2023.
  • You were provided with a delivery window in 2023 at the time you placed your order.
  • Your order is for an in-production vehicle available in North America.
  • Tesla did not have a vehicle with your exact configuration available for you to take delivery by December 31, 2023.
Also, I did not realize this:
Is this offer stackable with Refer and Earn benefits or existing price adjustments?
No. This offer is not stackable with Refer and Earn benefits or existing price adjustments.

Last edited:
We were assigned a VIN at 4:30 pm this afternoon (12/28). PF430xxx so still a 2023. OD 10/22. New EDD is January 4 - January 13 So, If I reject the VIN will my FUSC transfer still be effective for the next (hopefully 2024) VIN? Has anyone done it and knows, for sure? If I can't, I'll cancel and keep my current MX. It's annoying to be buying a 2023 MX in 2024.

You will lose your FUSC transfer, see my post above.

Per the IRS website, buyers can choose either apply the tax credit to the purchase price or file the tax return to apply the EV tax credit. However, my SA insisted that Tesla won’t know until later next year whether Tesla can offer POS price reduction or the buyer should file the tax return.

My assumption is that Tesla wants to deliver as many as possible before the year end, but change the word after 12/31/23. If they simply tells the buyer that they can apply POS (point of sale) price reduction, I think many will either cancel or hold their reservation to take $7,500 right of the bat and get the 2024 year MX.
that sounds like something they would do, i am still being ghosted by Tesla, since i rejected taking the car before 12/31, not pleased with that.

Where do you read that into my circumstances? My delivery date is 4 Jan 24. That is NOT before 12/31.

With the FSD transfer back in September, Tesla made it clear that you cannot reject a VIN or else you’ll lose the transfer. You can see it in prior posts (not going to go back to look through this in this thread.)

It is most likely they’ll do the same. If they have a car available and you won’t take it, they’ll cancel the transfer. Now if there was not a car available and you had to pick up after Dec 31, then you’re good. Rejecting a VIN for any reason will probably invalidate it. You have to talk to Tesla regarding this.

With the FSD transfer back in September, Tesla made it clear that you cannot reject a VIN or else you’ll lose the transfer. You can see it in prior posts (not going to go back to look through this in this thread.)

It is most likely they’ll do the same. If they have a car available and you won’t take it, they’ll cancel the transfer. Now if there was not a car available and you had to pick up after Dec 31, then you’re good. Rejecting a VIN for any reason will probably invalidate it. You have to talk to Tesla regarding this.
I'm pretty sure that even for the FSD transfer you could reject a VIN for valid reasons. (Like if the vehicle is damaged. But not for I just don't want it right now, I'm waiting for x feature to be installed, or I want a 2024 VIN not a 2023 VIN.)

Reactions: AustroTom and Szzz
I wanted to take the energy credit. I was told this morning that my ordered car (tax credit MX OD 10/22) will NOT be delivered today or tomorrow. Since Tesla failed to deliver it before 12/31/23, I'm hoping they will honor the FUSC after a hold. My SA also said they may continue to deliver 2023 models well into January. Sounds Like Tesla has a timing problem. Maybe their VIN stamping machine is out of order - or the dude responsible for changing the date was out sick?

I'm pretty sure that even for the FSD transfer you could reject a VIN for valid reasons. (Like if the vehicle is damaged. But not for I just don't want it right now, I'm waiting for x feature to be installed, or I want a 2024 VIN not a 2023 VIN.)

Someone on this thread posted specific guidelines for that, and you couldn’t reject a VIN for any reason for that FSD transfer to my understanding.

But again, rules keep changing. During that time you had to have orders placed before Sept 30th.

Last edited:
I wanted to take the energy credit. I was told this morning that my ordered car (tax credit MX OD 10/22) will NOT be delivered today or tomorrow. Since Tesla failed to deliver it before 12/31/23, I'm hoping they will honor the FUSC after a hold. My SA also said they may continue to deliver 2023 models well into January. Sounds Like Tesla has a timing problem. Maybe their VIN stamping machine is out of order - or the dude responsible for changing the date was out sick?
I wouldn't count on it. Tesla was slick and they didn't provide an order by date for FUSC like FSD. I've basically been told that they won't honor my transfer because my initial delivery window was in January, despite ordering at the beginning of November. Unless I find a tax edition in the next 36 hours, I'll be SOL.

It hurts my feeling by reading what you have experienced..The way Tesla deliver their vehicles is ridiculous in US, and this is how they deliver a model Y in China:

View attachment 1003793

Not saying in US they have to be the same way, but at least keep the car clean and damage free. Nobody deserves this for a 100k car.
We picked our MX up at Carlsbad CA sc and we also got a bow on a perfectly detailed car. It seems very un-Tesla to deliver a car as it was described above. Did you take pictures? Talk to a manager?

Guys, there was a reason Tesla introduced the FSD and FUSC transfer to people who would order a model X or S BEFORE next year. They wanted to get rid of as many 2023s as possible in the last quarter. If someone rejects a VIN just because "I want a 2024" then you lose that privilege. Any other car manufacturer and or dealer would do the same. If one receives a VIN still this year and keeps the vehicle, (even if delivery is in the new year), he or she will keep the FSD or FUSC transfer. Tesla Won't anounce a 2024 model unless all 23s have been sold or leased. Basic business practice

We were assigned a VIN at 4:30 pm this afternoon (12/28). PF430xxx so still a 2023. OD 10/22. New EDD is January 4 - January 13 So, If I reject the VIN will my FUSC transfer still be effective for the next (hopefully 2024) VIN? Has anyone done it and knows, for sure? If I can't, I'll cancel and keep my current MX. It's annoying to be buying a 2023 MX in 2024.

I personally don't care if its a 23 or 24. The only thing i wished in our new MX is some under dash lighting in order to see the phone in the charger or find my drink in the cup holder. Oh, well
Very easy to add, I did this to my legacy Model S in both the trunk and frunk as well as under the dash using ribbon LED's, which was cheap and easy and are still going strong.

We took delivery of our MXLR SG tax edition yesterday at Vallejo SC. I was hard pressed to find any issues whatsoever, as close to perfect as we’ve experienced in 4 deliveries. FSD gaps closest to the rear on both sides was larger than gaps toward the front but the doors work flawlessly. Don’t want to mess with a good thing so didn’t even bother to have them looked at. Very smooth process, we were in and out in less than 30 minutes.

Reactions: MikeC and AustroTom
Got a call at 7:00 pm on 12/29/23 from the Sacramento SC. They had a customer cancel my exact same order and asked if I wanted it. I asked if it had been rejected by someone and he said no, it just arrived today and is offsite.
Ordered 12/1/23
EDD 1/18/24-3/1/24
MX poverty, red, black, 5 seater, $79,990 minus $1000 and trading in a 2022 MYP.
VIN PF430xxx
The main reason I agreed was I expected my trade in value to drop if I got it in Feb or March.

Got a call at 7:00 pm on 12/29/23 from the Sacramento SC. They had a customer cancel my exact same order and asked if I wanted it. I asked if it had been rejected by someone and he said no, it just arrived today and is offsite.
Ordered 12/1/23
EDD 1/18/24-3/1/24
MX poverty, red, black, 5 seater, $79,990 minus $1000 and trading in a 2022 MYP.
VIN PF430xxx
The main reason I agreed was I expected my trade in value to drop if I got it in Feb or March.
Do it! We just upgraded from our 21 MYLR. The MXLR is amazing.